PDA

View Full Version : Mantra - a few thoughts

yajvan
17 October 2006, 01:31 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to add a few more ideas to stimulate discussion on this. Please comment and add to the subject as you see fit.

Mantra - man- "manas or mind" and the suffix + -tra meaning, tool, hence a literal translation would be "mind tool".
Typically of two types:
a. Kanthika or those given expression by voice - some call japa or Kirtan and Bhajan's.
b. Ajapa - non voiced, and internal to the sadhu - used to transcend.

Who gives you a mantra is of great import
Diksha guru
The Diksha guru is one God Realized being who can deliver initiation to the sisya (student). Diksha = "da" or to give + "ksi" or to destroy . Obviously , to destroy ignorance of not knowing SELF. The verb base is "diks" "to consecrate , coming from "daks" or to grow or increase.
Rtvic guru
This guru is subordinate to the Diksha guru. The person can initiate on behalf of the Diksha Guru
Siksha guru
Siksha or "instruction" guru, teaches various categories of knowledge.
Maharshi's and a Brahmarishi fall into this class, as highly evolved Pundits and gurus.

Taraka-mantra
That is, the mantra which takes you across the ocean of samsara.
The Sanskrit word taraka, denotes a star as it traverses in space and acts as a guiding light. A boat is called tari, as it allows one to cross over the waters. But what of the oceans of samsara? Samsara (sr= "to flow" + sam = "together") - what flows together? birth-after-birth.
So, a Taraka-mantra is one that gets you out of the wheel of birth after birth - or brings you to enlightenment.
One Mantra that we all know is Om ( also called Pranava) and is considered Taraka-mantra. Many posts are written on this, so I will hold off on any elaboration.

Another Taraka-mantra is Rama. This is of great interest...this mantra is wonderful and has deep roots!
Rama - defined is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight", yet it goes deeper. From the Padma-purana, it says " ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani " or ' The one in whose memory yogis revel in the bliss of brahman'. Its the mantra that brings bliss. As bija, we know it as Ram or Rama.

The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, was fortunate to receive this mantra... yet he said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So , the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

So, this name forward or backward is auspicious. A wonderful Mantra of Om Ram Ramaya Namaha - Note that it is based in several taraka mantras Om, Ram then Ram backwards MA and NA from Narayana . just a most exquisite Pra-siddha mantra.

Forthose of Tantric order Its of great interest and delight to me that Tara ( from "tr" or to cross), a Tantric shakti Goddess is associated with Omkara, as her bija sound is Pranava too - Aum.

pranams,

sarabhanga
20 October 2006, 12:00 AM
mantra is an “instrument of thought”, as “speech, especially sacred text or speech, and thus a prayer or song of praise”.

mantra is “a vedic hymn or sacrificial formula”, and especially “a sacred formula addressed to any individual deity” or “a mystical verse or magical formula (often personified), an incantation, charm, or spell”.

mantra is “a consultation, counsel, or advice; or a resolution, plan, or design; and mantra is “a secret”.

And mantra is “the fifth mansion”.

man means “to think, believe, imagine, suppose, conjecture, regard, or consider”; and man is “to think one’s self or to be thought to be, to appear (as) or pass (for), to be of an opinion (especially in agreement) or to think fit or right, to set the heart or mind (on), to honour or esteem, hope or wish (for), to think (of), to remember or meditate (on), to mention, declare, excogitate, invent, perceive, observe, learn, know, understand, or comprehend”, and “to offer or present”.

tra is “protecting or defending” (as in go-tra), and tra (or trA, both from trai) is “a protector or defender”.

And trai means “to protect, preserve, cherish, defend, rescue, or save”.

tra (= tri) also indicates “three”.

man-tra is “preserved or preserving thought”, “cherished or cherishing belief”, etc.; and “thinking oneself to to salvation”, or “a triplet, conceived or appearing or perceived or presented or passing as three”.

yajvan
09 July 2007, 10:53 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

mantra is an “instrument of thought”, as “speech, especially sacred text or speech, and thus a prayer or song of praise”.
And mantra is “the fifth mansion”.

Namaste sarabhanga,
It's interesting to note that the 5th house, is the house of mantra's. One can also expect mantra's as ketu is transiting the Arudha of the 5th house and if my memory serves me correctly, ketu transiting the 5th or 9th from Arudha of the 5th bhava.

pranams,

didn't think of this till now , 9 months later! go figure?

Arvind Sivaraman
12 July 2007, 04:06 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

I thought to add a few more ideas to stimulate discussion on this. Please comment and add to the subject as you see fit.

Mantra - man- "manas or mind" and the suffix + -tra meaning, tool, hence a literal translation would be "mind tool".
Typically of two types:
a. Kanthika or those given expression by voice - some call japa or Kirtan and Bhajan's.
b. Ajapa - non voiced, and internal to the sadhu - used to transcend.

Who gives you a mantra is of great import
Diksha guru
The Diksha guru is one God Realized being who can deliver initiation to the sisya (student). Diksha = "da" or to give + "ksi" or to destroy . Obviously , to destroy ignorance of not knowing SELF. The verb base is "diks" "to consecrate , coming from "daks" or to grow or increase.
Rtvic guru
This guru is subordinate to the Diksha guru. The person can initiate on behalf of the Diksha Guru
Siksha guru
Siksha or "instruction" guru, teaches various categories of knowledge.
Maharshi's and a Brahmarishi fall into this class, as highly evolved Pundits and gurus.

Taraka-mantra
That is, the mantra which takes you across the ocean of samsara.
The Sanskrit word taraka, denotes a star as it traverses in space and acts as a guiding light. A boat is called tari, as it allows one to cross over the waters. But what of the oceans of samsara? Samsara (sr= "to flow" + sam = "together") - what flows together? birth-after-birth.
So, a Taraka-mantra is one that gets you out of the wheel of birth after birth - or brings you to enlightenment.
One Mantra that we all know is Om ( also called Pranava) and is considered Taraka-mantra. Many posts are written on this, so I will hold off on any elaboration.

Another Taraka-mantra is Rama. This is of great interest...this mantra is wonderful and has deep roots!
Rama - defined is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight", yet it goes deeper. From the Padma-purana, it says " ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani " or ' The one in whose memory yogis revel in the bliss of brahman'. Its the mantra that brings bliss. As bija, we know it as Ram or Rama.

The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, was fortunate to receive this mantra... yet he said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So , the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss. When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki , the author of the Ramayana.

So, this name forward or backward is auspicious. A wonderful Mantra of Om Ram Ramaya Namaha - Note that it is based in several taraka mantras Om, Ram then Ram backwards MA and NA from Narayana . just a most exquisite Pra-siddha mantra.

Forthose of Tantric order Its of great interest and delight to me that Tara ( from "tr" or to cross), a Tantric shakti Goddess is associated with Omkara, as her bija sound is Pranava too - Aum.

pranams,

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

It is an inspiring post.
1)The Great Musical Saint Shri Thyagaraja meditated on the Rama Taraka Mantra 96 Crore times.HE was initiated by HIS GURU.
2)Saint Ramdas of Maharashtra repeated the Rama Nama 3 crore times and was successful in bridging the gap between Hindus and Muslims at the time when Cow slaughter was increasing.

Pl Note : Men / Women who are unable to find a suitable Guru in their life, may recite the Rama Taraka Mantra 108 times after doing parayan of Valmiki Sundarakandam.

yajvan
12 July 2007, 07:49 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

It is an inspiring post.
1)The Great Musical Saint Shri Thyagaraja meditated on the Rama Taraka Mantra 96 Crore times.HE was initiated by HIS GURU.
2)Saint Ramdas of Maharashtra repeated the Rama Nama 3 crore times and was successful in bridging the gap between Hindus and Muslims at the time when Cow slaughter was increasing.

Pl Note : Men / Women who are unable to find a suitable Guru in their life, may recite the Rama Taraka Mantra 108 times after doing parayan of Valmiki Sundarakandam.

Namaste Arvind,
thank you for the note. This mantra is very dear to me... Ram is Brahmn and each part of His sound is favorable to the native.

I am not one to talk much about one's experiences. I think its something that is personal. Yet this mantra comes to me via shaktipat. I am blessed to know it.

On that note - the rishi's suggest that the mantra one is fortunate to obtain, it no longer should be on ones lips. That is, it is used to go to finer levels of consciounsess. Bringing it up the verbal level continues to introduce this sound to the manifest side of creation and keeps ones attention there.
As sarabhanga points out, mantra is an “instrument of thought”. So the intent for these sounds is to go inward, Ajapa.

Now are there mantras for verbal japa, with mala's? Yes, but I am not skilled to talk about these Kanthika. As soon as I start them , I end up becoming silent and the Kanthika becoming Ajapa, so becomes nature of the mind over time.

Thank you again for the note, appreciated. Please add more on Sri Ram and Taraka. It's always rewarding to listen about Him.

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
13 July 2007, 11:33 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Arvind,
thank you for the note. This mantra is very dear to me... Ram is Brahmn and each part of His sound is favorable to the native.

I am not one to talk much about one's experiences. I think its something that is personal. Yet this mantra comes to me via shaktipat. I am blessed to know it.

On that note - the rishi's suggest that the mantra one is fortunate to obtain, it no longer should be on ones lips. That is, it is used to go to finer levels of consciounsess. Bringing it up the verbal level continues to introduce this sound to the manifest side of creation and keeps ones attention there.
As sarabhanga points out, mantra is an “instrument of thought”. So the intent for these sounds is to go inward, Ajapa.

Now are there mantras for verbal japa, with mala's? Yes, but I am not skilled to talk about these Kanthika. As soon as I start them , I end up becoming silent and the Kanthika becoming Ajapa, so becomes nature of the mind over time.

Thank you again for the note, appreciated. Please add more on Sri Ram and Taraka. It's always rewarding to listen about Him.

pranams,

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

In Varanasi Lord Shiva did Japa (chanted) of the Rama Mantra. Pleased because of this, Sri Rama told Lord Sankara as follows:

In this temple (city) whoever worships me with devotion, I would help him get rid of sins like Brahma Hathi (killing of a Brahmin). Those of them who get the six letter mantra (Ram Ramaya NamaH) either from you or Brahma or his disciple line, would live with mastery over the mantra or attain salvation. At the time of death, if you tell this mantra in their ears, they would get salvation.

yajvan
14 July 2007, 08:40 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

In Varanasi Lord Shiva did Japa (chanted) of the Rama Mantra. Pleased because of this, Sri Rama told Lord Sankara as follows:

In this temple (city) whoever worships me with devotion, I would help him get rid of sins like Brahma Hathi (killing of a Brahmin). Those of them who get the six letter mantra (Ram Ramaya NamaH) either from you or Brahma or his disciple line, would live with mastery over the mantra or attain salvation. At the time of death, if you tell this mantra in their ears, they would get salvation.
Namaste Arvind,
It is always a boon to hear of Sri Ram. As you already know, the temple or city Sri Ram is discussing is the body, city or puri, that has 9,10 or 11 gates ( openings) depending on the metaphor in use.

Yes, this 6 phoneme mantra is wonderful. There is one more, that is kept in private. If there is interest, let me know , I will email you directly.

Om Rameshvara namah
pranams,