PDA

View Full Version : Guru pūrṇimā - why so?

yajvan
16 August 2010, 07:09 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

Guru pūrṇimā occurred on the 25th of July this year.
We know pūrṇimā means fullness , and guru is the teacher, the dispeller of ignorance ( darkness).

I asked this question in another post ... why is guru pūrṇimā recognized/celebrated when the Moon (candra - having brilliancy) is in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer?

Does any of our jyotish śiṣya's or other HDF members care to speculate on this matter? Consider these houses from the natural location of the 1st house, Aries. And what are these houses when thinking of puruṣārtha ( the 4 goals/intent) of life i.e. kāma , artha , dharma & mokṣa. What does the Sun represent? And the Moon?

praṇām

words

candr ( some spell chandra) comes from ścandr glittering , shining

śiṣya is the student that is engaged in śikṣā - learning, study, knowledge.

Alise
17 August 2010, 06:53 AM
Namaste,

Not sure if I can help you but I can quote from past Hinduism Today issue about festivals

Why is the full moon of Ashada
the day of the guru?
In India, this day marks the start of the four-month monsoon season. Traditionally, mendicant saints do not wander during this inclement time, but settle in temporary camps where devotees gather to partake of their wisdom. The first day of learning was dedcated to honoring the preceptor, and it is believed this custom became established as Guru Purnima. The full moon is also known as a propitious time for attaining fulfillment, completeness and spiritual advancement, and for beginning all new endeavors.

I'm sorry if it's not what you needed.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

yajvan
17 August 2010, 11:20 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Thank you for your ideas SweetAlisija and what you say makes perfect sense... Yet if we go a bit deeper there is some jyotish reasons that guru pūrṇimā occurs when it does i.e. candrá in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer.

If I were designing a day for the guru , I would have selected the time when Jupiter i.e. guru is in Cancer as that is guru's exalted¹ position. Yet that is why I am the śiṣya (student) and not the svāmin (preceptor).

Yet one must consider that natural atma-kārakā¹ the Sun (ravi) that resides in a quadrant (kendra¹) the 1st, 4th , 7th and 10th house (bhava). Who owns these positions? The Supreme, śrī viṣṇu. The One that sustains this whole manifest creation.

By observation we know that the 4th house is a mokṣa house - that of liberation. So, Cancer being 4th from Aries , it is the natural mokṣa house in the chart. See what is unfolding ?
The Sun as the natural atma-kārakā resides in a mokṣa house. The moon, is in the 10th. Yet what does the moon represent? Soma, mind, etc. This atma-kārakā brings peace of mind to manas, moon . Note the 10th is still a kendra owned by śrī viṣṇu, the one that brings liberation by His grace.

This grace comes via the guru and the 10th ( an artha¹ house) is the indication of 'career' yet being artha , it means aim or purpose, or how one spends one's time.
The guru spends his time bringing liberation to the world. Hence this alignment of Sun-moon in Cancer-Capricorn is a perfect time to rejoice in the guru.

There is much-much more to this idea, but this is the basic concept offered above. We could ask who is the jagad-guru?
From a universal point of view? from an 'earth' point of view?

praṇām

words

ātma-kārakā - soul significator , soul indicator, representative.
exhalted position is called ucca ( sounds like uchcha) meaning high , lofty , elevated
kendra - some call quadrants - the 1st, 4th 7th and 10th bhava from the lagna OR from a given position.
bhāva is from bhū becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of acting or conduct dharma धर्म that which is established or firm , steadfast decree , statute , ordinance , law ; from dhṛ धृ- that which upholds.
mokṣa - emancipation , liberation , release
artha - one of the 4 goals i.e. puruṣārtha dharma, artha, kama, mokṣa. Note artha means 'aim or purpose' - hense the guru's intent, aim, purpose is liberation of his/her followers.

Twilightdance
03 July 2012, 05:45 AM
bump...the important date for 2012 is today, I believe.

Eastern Mind
03 July 2012, 07:03 AM
bump...the important date for 2012 is today, I believe.

Vannakkam: Yes it is. I send my well wishes to all devotees for a rare treat today. May you be showered by the blessings of your Guru.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
23 July 2013, 01:48 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast

I would have preferred we talked of guru pūrṇimā ...

praṇām

Mana
23 July 2013, 03:07 PM
Namaste Yajvan Ji,

You are quite right.
I would love to talk of Guru pūrṇimā also; The lineage and the Guru is a wonderful thing particularly for one who has lacked such a presence for as long as they can remember; hard to grasp initially when we are from a Western clime, one in which the very notion has been denigrated.
We could certainly learn from this tradition, learn about our selves, how to improve our schooling, our social institutions and behaviour.
How strange that the word, Guru, can strike such fear in to the hearts of some, and yet adoration into the hearts of others.
Are there origins in the Veda of this tradition, perhaps later on from Adi shankara?
Is there a purāṇa reference for such, a Jyotiṣa narrative that tells us of the origin Guru pūrṇimā in particular?

To where might we look in order to find the first references to Guru?

Kind regards.

Praṇām

yajvan
10 July 2014, 02:55 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

Guru pūrṇimā occurred on the 25th of July this year.
We know pūrṇimā means fullness , and guru is the teacher, the dispeller of ignorance ( darkness).

I asked this question in another post ... why is guru pūrṇimā recognized/celebrated when the Moon (candra - having brilliancy) is in Capricorn and the Sun (ravi) in Cancer?

Does any of our jyotish śiṣya's or other HDF members care to speculate on this matter? Consider these houses from the natural location of the 1st house, Aries. And what are these houses when thinking of puruṣārtha ( the 4 goals/intent) of life i.e. kāma , artha , dharma & mokṣa. What does the Sun represent? And the Moon?

praṇām

words

candr ( some spell chandra) comes from ścandr glittering , shining

śiṣya is the student that is engaged in śikṣā - learning, study, knowledge.
This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time. Do you see any significance ?

praṇām

1. ucca - high , lofty , elevated ; apex of a graha's travel

Rohiniranjan
11 July 2014, 07:16 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time. Do you see any significance ?

praṇām

1. ucca - high , lofty , elevated ; apex of a graha's travel

Guru Purnima arrives in a disciplined manner each year, but Guru remains distracted and not showing up in the classroom :-)

I wonder if this year will be different and not so much a higher number of enrollments but the teacher being more attentive to his natural duties...? <LOL>

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

yajvan
11 July 2014, 12:17 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

This year guru pūrṇimā occurs on the 12th of July. Note the sky and see who is exalted (ucca¹) at this time.

http://vedichealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Brihaspati-hathi-193x300.jpg (http://vedichealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Brihaspati-hathi.jpg)

Guru resides perfectly at 5º karkaṭa (cancer)rāśi¹, in puṣya¹ nákṣatra . Moon resides full (pūrṇimā) in the sign owned by guru. And who owns puṣya nákṣatra ? None other then śani ( the slow moving one, saturn).

Where is śani ? Exalted no less in viśākha¹nákṣatra. Who owns this nákṣatra ? None other then guru (jupiter).

There is more here then meets the eye.

praṇām

words

rāśi - ~sign~; 1/12th division; a heap; a division
puṣya - nourishment ; the upper most or best of anything
viśākha - branched; forked

Rohiniranjan
11 July 2014, 01:39 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

http://vedichealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Brihaspati-hathi-193x300.jpg (http://vedichealing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Brihaspati-hathi.jpg)

Guru resides perfectly at 5º karkaṭa (cancer)rāśi¹, in puṣya¹ nákṣatra . Moon resides full (pūrṇimā) in the sign owned by guru. And who owns puṣya nákṣatra ? None other then śani ( the slow moving one, saturn).

Where is śani ? Exalted no less in viśākha¹nákṣatra. Who owns this nákṣatra ? None other then guru (jupiter).

There is more here then meets the eye.

praṇām

words

rāśi - ~sign~; 1/12th division; a heap; a division
puṣya - nourishment ; the upper most or best of anything
viśākha - branched; forked

So, Yajvan ji, what is your prediction for this unique combination this year? Keeping specifically in mind this astrological combination?

Please do share!

Thanks and regards,

Rohiniranjan

yajvan
11 July 2014, 02:44 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

So, Yajvan ji, what is your prediction for this unique combination this year? Keeping specifically in mind this astrological combination?

Think of who will be born with this jātaka¹. Of which lagna¹ will be most significant ?

praṇām

words

jātaka - or birth chart; born under; nativity , astrological calculation
lagna - attached to; ascendent

Rohiniranjan
11 July 2014, 06:06 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

Think of who will be born with this jātaka¹. Of which lagna¹ will be most significant ?

praṇām

words

jātaka - or birth chart; born under; nativity , astrological calculation
lagna - attached to; ascendent

If hinting at some glorious arrival, that song has played so many times in the past three or more decades, by different folks with a 'reset-reboot' (replay?) each time in west and east, that those observing the antics have grown a bit tired, if not jaded ;-)

Looked from another angle, given the fact that an infant is born every second or so (predominantly in the northern hemisphere) one would assume that all signs have more or less equal distribution. However, certain lagnas do have a larger share (depending on the hemisphere) because of astronomical reality. A large set of data was once examined and certain startling findings surfaced. However, some ten years or so ago, I wrote an article with a smaller set and touched on related matters, please read if someone has time and interest:

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=1090

That said, indeed given the condition of the world, ONLY GOD or a substantial fraction thereof seems to be the solution to the problems created by mankind on this earth! Nearly ALL Sub-Divine Gurus seem to have failed miserably! <LOL>

Love, Light

Rohiniranjan

yajvan
11 July 2014, 06:37 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

If hinting at some glorious arrival, that song has played so many times in the past three or more decades, by different folks with a 'reset-reboot' (replay?) each time in west and east, that those observing the antics have grown a bit tired, if not jaded ;-)

Until someone is then born and all the jyotisha's begin to analyze the chart and say , oh yes - here is why this person is exceptional and look for the applause of what great insights they have ( unfortunately after the fact).

praṇām

Rohiniranjan
11 July 2014, 07:02 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namaste

Until someone is then born and all the jyotisha's begin to analyze the chart and say , oh yes - here is why this person is exceptional and look for the applause of what great insights they have ( unfortunately after the fact).

praṇām

And Great ones of such a CALIBER generally get the attention of Jyotishis long after They (and jyotishis of their TIMES) are gone, as too many of the facts of Their Days and Times!

Given the facts facing us, even relatively minor celebrities (spiritual gurus, cinema idols, politicians) tend to keep their birthdata secret these days, but such are the resourceful jyotishis that they manage to fit the facts of the lives of such celebrities to several horoscopes available for such individuals! Sometimes I wonder if these great ones are too great to fit into one chart perhaps! I am kidding, of course.

So, in straight-speak, it seems you are convinced that a Great soul will arrive at Guru-purnima (even as we speak perhaps?) or at least while the auspicious Jupitarian *influence* reigns supreme...?

From your mouth/mind to God's ears! <seriously!>

That said, my guess is that most jyotishis would simply continue to serve the throngs of nativities with their usual problems rather than commenting on the nativity of The incarnation of Divine Essence, should Such a One were to arrive!

I am not being cynical, but simply realistic! Of course, in my mind, I always reserve room for miracles! Small, Medium and Unimaginable ones!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

yajvan
11 July 2014, 08:01 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namaste

So, in straight-speak, it seems you are convinced that a Great soul will arrive at Guru-purnima (even as we speak perhaps?) or at least while the auspicious Jupitarian *influence* reigns supreme...?

It seems to me the configuration is ripe for a significant being to be amongst us. Only time will tell.

praṇām

Rohiniranjan
11 July 2014, 08:46 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namaste

It seems to me the configuration is ripe for a significant being to be amongst us. Only time will tell.

praṇām

Yes, about time...! Human hands have only messed things up and continue to, increasingly so :-)