PDA

View Full Version : hello from a fledgling Hindu.

kiya kabooter
21 August 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm brand new here and have spent most of the day reading the forums and waiting for my account to be activated. It feels like home already. Thank you.

My name is silly, I know, but don't laugh too much because Kiya really is my name. I added kabooter to it for a couple of reasons, which no one would really understand except for me, but also I like the alliteration of it, as well as my being a fledgling and my name Kiya, meaning "cooing like a bird". It just all seemed to fit. :)

I feel pretty isolated from the Hindu community in general, as there is no Hindu community where I live. I live in a very rural area of a very rural state. The most diverse it gets around here is the one tiny Unitarian church that has about 12 members. I was raised in an even more rural milltown, and am now raising my own 2 children a half hour away in a slightly more progressive town, but this is where I will be for a while until my kids have grown and left home.

There is so much to say and I'm so overwhelmed I don't know where to start. Finding Krishna has been quite the process for me - a long, emotional, exhausting process with lots of bumps in the road! But I'm here now and so thankful to be.

I have so many things I'd like to share and so many questions I'd like to ask, but for now I will just say hello and tell you all how happy I am to be here with you!

Jai Sri Krishna!

~Kiya

kallol
22 August 2010, 12:58 AM
Wow !!

Appreciate the dedication of the mind to keep you interested and devoted.

Such is the wonder of spiritualism and such is the magnetism of spiritualism that once you enter the path, there is no way back.

You can slow down, you can stop in between but the journey has started.

Love and best wishes

Onkara
22 August 2010, 03:09 AM
Welcome to the Forum, Kiya
Nice introduction :)
Hope you enjoy your interaction here!

Eastern Mind
22 August 2010, 08:02 AM
Vannakkam Arav:

I wouldn't be so sure that there isn't Hinduism somewhere near your community. You find it in lots of odd places these days. Most temples and satsang groups don't advertise a whole lot. Besides that, there are individuals all over, such as the Patels of hotels and motels.

Here's an example of what I mean: Yesterday I was in a small rural town (4000 people, quite isolated) in Alberta: the last place you might expect Hindus. I went to an A and W (like McDonalds) for coffee during the afternoon when it's slow. I noticed a couple of very Indian looking workers in the back. So I asked the manager on duty who was taking my order if she had temporary visa workers working there. She looked at me oddly, but said, "yes, 2 from the Philippines and five from India." So I asked her if I could speak to the ones from India. So I'm sure I made their day when we talked India. Both were from Maharashtra state, one was Hindu and the other Christian. They had not heard of our temple or the other 3 temples in Edmonton, only two hours away, and they had been here for just over a year as one had just gotten his visa renewed. So I gave them the address and my phone number.

Canada has a shortage of restaurant and other workers (the locals are too lazy or find it demeaning or are spoiled by parents, or go into the oil patch here) so many restaurants face this problem. So they hire from overseas. Its a great deal financially for the workers usually. Western money in India goes a VERY long way. (Sometimes there is abuse in terms of rights, and they won't speak out for fear of losing the job) But the downside is they get lonely in some out of the way desolated places, so a trip to a temple is pleasant respite for them. For the businesses, its ideal as they are incredibly faithful loyal hardworking employees, not familiar with the slackness of the west. Not some high school kid who quits in two weeks without giving notice.

But to look for other Hindus like that means you have to be a bit outgoing. I've done it quite a bit so I don't mind. Actually yesterday even the manager was happy for them. This is why they (usually young single men) are often hired in pairs at least.

So keep your eye open. There may be a 'secret' satsang group operating near you.

Aum Namasivaya

kiya kabooter
22 August 2010, 09:38 AM
kallol and Snip - thank you so much for the warm welcome!

EM - well... I'd like to think that it is possible where I live, but I don't know.. I've lived here for 7+ years and although I am not very socially active, I have gossipy neighbors as well as 2 kids in school, so I do tend to know about pretty much everything that goes on in this town, it seems! But you never know..

I would probably feel intimidated speaking to someone from India or going to temple at this stage anyway. I mean, I have been spending my nights just trying to get a grip on how it all works and what it all means. I seriously have a little chart-graph on my computer desk right next to me that lists the "family tree" of deities! What I know for sure is that Krishna is in my heart and like kallol said - no matter what happens from here on in, there is no going back now.

Thank you all for the welcome!

sunyata07
22 August 2010, 03:37 PM
Hello Kiya,

Welcome to the forum. I understand how you feel on trying to find a Hindu community around your area. The Hindu community where I live is small, so it's hard to locate them and the times they operate in the temple, aside from the ISKON centre.

Maybe this place will give you the answers you need in the meantime, and a chance to discuss topics you've had in your head. Books and internet sites can only teach you so much, I've found.

Namaste.

kiya kabooter
22 August 2010, 10:55 PM
sunyata - thank you for the welcome.

Yeah, the closest temple to me is about 4 hours away.. so for now, internet is all I have. And like you said, internet and reading can only bring you so far.. I have no one in my real life that feels similarly and I really have been wanting community.

Thank you all for the welcome! I already feel that I belong here.

~Kiya

Hello Kiya,

Welcome to the forum. I understand how you feel on trying to find a Hindu community around your area. The Hindu community where I live is small, so it's hard to locate them and the times they operate in the temple, aside from the ISKON centre.

Maybe this place will give you the answers you need in the meantime, and a chance to discuss topics you've had in your head. Books and internet sites can only teach you so much, I've found.

Namaste.

Shanti
23 August 2010, 01:39 PM
Welcome Kiya! I'm glad you found this forum! There is a lot of wonderful information on hear that will hopefully allow you to feel more comfortable with Hinduism. Your on the right path and this is truly by God's grace, enjoy the journey!