PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS THE BEST DHARMIC PERSON IN MAHABHARATA?

sar78
22 August 2010, 07:48 AM
AS A FOLLOWER OF THE STORY, IT CAN BE UNDERSTOOD THAT EVEN LORD KRISHNA APPRAISED KARNA AS A GREATEST DHARMIC MAN... ALSO IT IS VIVIDLY KNOWN THAT YUDHISHTRA IS CALLED AS KING OF DHARMA OR DHARMA RAJA HIS OTHER NAME AND THERE WERE GREAT PERSONALITIES SUCH AS DHRONAR THE TEACHER, BHISHMAR WHO RENOUNCED KINGDOM ETC. NOW, WHO COULD BE CONSIDERED AS BEST IN DHARMIC VALUES AMONG THE GREATEST PERSONALITIES OF THE INDIAN EPIC MAHABHARATA? (OBVIOUSLY, I DO NOT MEAN TO SAY LORD KRISHNA PREACHER OF BHAGAVAD GITA HE IS THE GOD, BUT OTHER THAT WHO IS THE PERSON IS QUESTION OF DOUBT)

Eastern Mind
22 August 2010, 05:38 PM
Vannakkam Sar78:

Welcome to HDF. I have no opinion to your question, but others will.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
22 August 2010, 08:02 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté Sar78,

I am not certain ( nor have an opinion) on who may be the best , yet offer the following from this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21869&postcount=7 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21869&postcount=7)

The bhAghavataM says that there are only twelve men in the whole world who know the in's and out's' f dharma in all its subtlety. These twelve are: BrahmA, the Creator; Narada, the roving sage; Lord Siva; Lord SubrahmaNya; the sage Kapila; Manu the law-giver; the boy-devotee Prahlada; King Janaka; Bishma; King Bali; the boy-sage Suka, the reciter of the bhAgavatam; and Yama, the Lord of Death and Dispenser of Justice.
Thus Bishma happens to be one of the twelve most knowledgeable people on dharma. It was fitting therefore that when Yudhishtira, at the end of the mahabharata war wanted to know all the subtleties of all the different types of dharma, he was directed to go to Bhishma by Lord Krishna Himself.

praṇām

kd gupta
22 August 2010, 11:18 PM
AS A FOLLOWER OF THE STORY, IT CAN BE UNDERSTOOD THAT EVEN LORD KRISHNA APPRAISED KARNA AS A GREATEST DHARMIC MAN... ALSO IT IS VIVIDLY KNOWN THAT YUDHISHTRA IS CALLED AS KING OF DHARMA OR DHARMA RAJA HIS OTHER NAME AND THERE WERE GREAT PERSONALITIES SUCH AS DHRONAR THE TEACHER, BHISHMAR WHO RENOUNCED KINGDOM ETC. NOW, WHO COULD BE CONSIDERED AS BEST IN DHARMIC VALUES AMONG THE GREATEST PERSONALITIES OF THE INDIAN EPIC MAHABHARATA? (OBVIOUSLY, I DO NOT MEAN TO SAY LORD KRISHNA PREACHER OF BHAGAVAD GITA HE IS THE GOD, BUT OTHER THAT WHO IS THE PERSON IS QUESTION OF DOUBT)
That is a good question….
When any yajna is arranged , there comes diksha [ misquoted as dakshina as money etc ]…
Vraten dikshamapnoti dikshyapnoti dakshinam….yaj30/19
A man gets success after vrat and honour after success . gita says…
Prasade [ misquoted as fruits etc ] sarva dukhanam….

Who is declared the winner after success ? he who qualifies and has the clear heart .
After mahabharat krsn asked above question from Ghatotkach[ son of bhima] , who was put as a visitor and was disabled by karnas arrow in saving arjuna .

Ghatotkach replied….I have seen only a big figure having long hairs and a dreaded trident , and not the second fighting the mahabharat .

Guess who was he….The Rudra himself .
Aum namah shivay .

Visvamitra
30 August 2010, 02:57 PM
Narada, the roving sage;

Is this the rishi Narada who told the Pandavas the story of the brothers Sunda and Upasunda?

sar78
30 August 2010, 06:15 PM
Who is declared the winner after success ? he who qualifies and has the clear heart .yes, exactly - when the karna lost the battle not by defeat by Arjuna but by simply donating/sacrificing his success when Lord Krishna demanded all his dharma punya, Lord Krishna offered Karna to dharshan his real viswaroopa which freed him from the re-births and offered him the Moksha... (Am I accurate enough?) which can be considered as the reward of his heart purity? which no one else attained this stage, including Arjuna! (even though Lord Krishna was riding chariot and preached all the Bhagavad Gita to him...) So as Moksha attainer, Karna is a real winner... Am I right?

The main blame is that he was supporting adharma side like other great legends Bhishmar and Dhronar, but it was acknowledged that kind of support is still can be considered dharma because of the gratitude shown to the rajya, even though it was ruled by adharmic kauravas!?! totally conflict! nothing is crystal clear about the dharmic values, to my thinking - opinion...

PARAM
31 August 2010, 08:27 AM

Sar 78, first thing Mahabharat is a Historic event and not a Story

Who is better than Sri Krishan
There are Vidur, Dronachary, Bhisham, Karna, Arjun, Yudhishthir, even Kauravs have somewhat Dharm in them.

Most of them were on their duty,
And Krishan's Duty was DHARM

rkpande
01 September 2010, 12:23 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté Sar78,

I am not certain ( nor have an opinion) on who may be the best , yet offer the following from this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21869&postcount=7 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21869&postcount=7)

praṇām

imho knowing dharma (dharma jnani) and following dharma (dharmik) are two different things????

kd gupta
01 September 2010, 12:56 AM
yes, exactly - when the karna lost the battle not by defeat by Arjuna but by simply donating/sacrificing his success when Lord Krishna demanded all his dharma punya, Lord Krishna offered Karna to dharshan his real viswaroopa which freed him from the re-births and offered him the Moksha... (Am I accurate enough?) which can be considered as the reward of his heart purity? which no one else attained this stage, including Arjuna! (even though Lord Krishna was riding chariot and preached all the Bhagavad Gita to him...) So as Moksha attainer, Karna is a real winner... Am I right?

The main blame is that he was supporting adharma side like other great legends Bhishmar and Dhronar, but it was acknowledged that kind of support is still can be considered dharma because of the gratitude shown to the rajya, even though it was ruled by adharmic kauravas!?! totally conflict! nothing is crystal clear about the dharmic values, to my thinking - opinion...
Pl see
Vedastra: Brahmastras (http://vedastra.blogspot.com/2009/08/brahmastras.html)

Eric11235
05 September 2010, 08:12 AM
Having only read the first three parvas of the work unabridged, I am of the opinion that Yudisthira or Arjuna are the most Dharmic, I mean, Yudisthira is the son of Dharma (and it is said that has some bearing on his personality as it says that the gods the pandavas were born of have resemblances to their sons)