PDA

View Full Version : Is physical time travel possible?

Mudvayne
22 August 2010, 04:28 PM
Could this be done through some method?.
I read something abouth Yoga Vasishta and subtle bodies, but is not the necessary information abouth this subject

I read that if you awake the 6th chakra (time) and the 7th chakra (space) you can manipulate the time.

sanjaya
23 August 2010, 11:48 AM
Currently, the physics we know tells us that only time travel into the future is possible. And even then, the technology required for this is quite aways beyond us. Of course we're always learning new things, so maybe that'll change someday.

Of course with God, anything is possible, right? So I don't see why time travel or the manipulation of time would be impossible.

Riverwolf
23 August 2010, 02:40 PM
It's impossible simply from impracticality, never mind the physics.

Let's say it were possible to travel through time. In the process, you'd also have to travel in space because the galaxy is moving. If you simply stand in one place and move through time, even if it's just a few days into the past or future, you'll end up in the vacuum because the galaxy is moving, and therefore so is our solar system. The calculations required to make that kind of precision are impossible, to my knowledge, with current technology.

Anybody here read Piers Anthony?

Alise
26 August 2010, 07:34 PM
Namaste,

Here is some people logic about this: If there would be time travel, why people from the future haven't visited us yet?

My personal view, is that I don't think we need it, for example we have law of Karma, if we could travel back & forth then how would Karma work? We would always rewind everything so we wouldn't have mistakes, but for me it's seems unnatural & then reincarnation would be useless...

Have a nice day,
~Alice

P.S. Sorry for using my personal view but that's just my logic.

Mudvayne
28 August 2010, 02:20 AM
What does makes you think that they doesn't visited us yet?.

Im not agree with that logic.

I would like to see more opinions please.

Namaste.

Arav
31 August 2010, 01:27 PM
It's impossible simply from impracticality, never mind the physics.

Let's say it were possible to travel through time. In the process, you'd also have to travel in space because the galaxy is moving. If you simply stand in one place and move through time, even if it's just a few days into the past or future, you'll end up in the vacuum because the galaxy is moving, and therefore so is our solar system. The calculations required to make that kind of precision are impossible, to my knowledge, with current technology.

Anybody here read Piers Anthony?

I personally dont think it would be possible to move threw time without moving threw space. Time and space are one, which is where the term "Spacetime" came from. This is why if you go to some place 3000 light years away at the speed of light it would only take 3000 earth years, and you will have aged only a number of years. To move threw time you must move threw space, they are one. Another example that shows this is that on the space shuttle they took a clock into space and when they came back time on the clock was one second ahead. I dont believe time travel is possible unless we find ways to travel very fast threw space. This would mean that if we want to travel back in time, we would have to find a "negative" speed, which we have no knowledge of.

atanu
01 September 2010, 11:55 AM
For those of us who may be interested in this subject from serious scientific and philosophic points of views:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/

Time travel is plausible based on the Theory of Relativity but offers practical paradoxes, the most famous of which is the Grandfather paradox. Suppose you travel back in time and kill your grandfather, thereby preventing your own existence. To avoid inconsistency some circumstance will have to occur which makes you fail in this attempt to kill your grandfather. (But for spiritualists, this can still be done because physical body and the spirit do not mesh to inseparable entitities).

And a somewhat easier reading:

http://www.brianbosak.com/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/timetrav/

I quote from Brian's page:

Wormholes and closed timelike loops appear to be the main ways that time travel into the past would be possible. The limitation on this time travel into the past is that it would be impossible to travel back to a time before the machine was originally created. Although the aforementioned theories of general relativity are consistent for closed timelike curves and wormholes, the theories say nothing about the actual process of traveling through them. Quantum mechanics can be used to model possible scenarios, and yields the probability of each possible output. Quantum mechanics, when used in the context of time travel, has a so-called many-universe interpretation. This was first proposed by Hugh Everett III in 1957. It encompasses the idea that if something can physically happen, it does in some universe. Everett says that our reality is only one of many equally valid universes. There is a collection of universes, called a multiverse. Every multiverse has copies of every person, structure, and atom. For every possible event, every possible outcome is said to be played out on a different universe. This interpretation of quantum mechanics is quite controversial however, but does elicit the notion that it may be impossible to travel backward in time to our own universe or dimension.

----------------
Now, Yoga Vasista indeed speaks of such time travel and such multiverses. In fact it starts with a story of a mendicant called Vasista (not same as Lord rAma's teacher) who sitting on a barren mountain wishes for a kingly life in a corner of his consciousness and lo, in another corner of consciousness he becomes a king. In another example, Sage Vasista imparts a view of many universes to Lord rAma, where rAma was in different stages of evolution. There are numerous stories of time-space travel to different universes but as explanations they are all termed as magical power of concsiousness alone -- of imagination. There are stories where time spans are different in different universes. Sage Vasista says that many wonderful/crazy things may happen in consciousness on account of wishful imagination.

The moral of the full of Yoga Vasista is to put a stop to all imaginations.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kumar_Das
01 September 2010, 01:14 PM
The moral of the full of Yoga Vasista is to put a stop to all imaginations.

Namaste,

What makes imaginations different from coherent speculations is a fine line between getting lost into the abyss of delusion to never return again back into the "real" world.

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
01 September 2010, 01:47 PM
Namaste,

What makes imaginations different from coherent speculations is a fine line between getting lost into the abyss of delusion to never return again back into the "real" world.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namar Kumar

You make a good point. But it is known that even wise lose control.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kumar_Das
01 September 2010, 08:21 PM
Namar Kumar

You make a good point. But it is known that even wise lose control.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste atanu,

Extremely true and certainly something to remember at all times.

Paraphrased differently

"Maya envelops even the Saintliest of minds(or men)"

Om Namah Shivaya

charlebs
02 September 2010, 07:15 AM
time is only the ticking of the clock. everything is progressing seperately, and to move everything exactly back in the way it once was everything has to be stored.

and what about someone accidently discovering time travel. how would he be able to come back?

time travelling makes absolutely no sense to me. time does not exist for me. we are the past, present and the future. we've always existed and will never cease to be.

Mudvayne
02 September 2010, 10:16 PM
That is like a cyclic time concept, right?. Time is an eternal time where Past, present and future coexist at the same time.

sankar
13 September 2010, 10:40 PM
i personally believe time travel is possible as time is an illusion according to hinduism, there exists only eternal 'now'. To my understanding the outer world is only an expression of the inner world, where there is no time. The real mechanism actually happens in there, eg the karma mechanism. To one who have access to inner world, time and space does not matter. Numerous experiences of Deja-vu adds strength to this belief of mine.

In Hinduism time is regarded as an aspect of creation. It exists only so long as we are bound to the things of this world through our senses. Time is a mental concept created by the movement of our senses, the celestial objects and our perceptions. It is part of the illusion in which we live and which we take for real. In God's consciousness there are no divisions of time. There is only the present moment, one continuous, indivisible and indistinguishable state of existence.Time is also regarded as an aspect of Prakriti or Nature. It is one of the 36 tattvas or principles of creation recognized in Saivism.Prakriti subjects the boundless individual souls of pure consciousness to the limitations of time (kaala), space (niyathi), knowledge (vidya), passion (raga) and power (kala) and binds them to the cycle of births and rebirths.

Is Time Real or Illusionary? (http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/h_time.asp)