PDA

View Full Version : can someone please help with this temple...

new_earth
23 August 2010, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out what goes on here, which sect? The picture they have of inside the temple shows Krishna and Radhe in the center, Shiva to the far left, not sure who everyone else is, looks like Ram and Sita next to Shiva? With Krishna in the middle, would you say this temple is Vaishnav, and mostly focused on Krishna?

here is the main link: http://www.indiatemple.org/

and the picture of inside is here: http://www.indiatemple.org/P1000191.JPG

This place is not far from me and I was thinking of checking it out soon. There is another one nearby that is Swaminarayan, but I don't think I'm interested in that...

Thank you if anyone can help!

Eastern Mind
24 August 2010, 02:02 PM
Vannakkam New_earth: This is a typical North Indian style North American 'liberal' Hindu temple, where they have tried to please all basically. Could also have been built by the Guyanese community there. Philosophically, the closest it would be is an offshoot or an extension of Smartism, where all Gods are worshipped. It's doubtful that a more purely Vaishnava temple would have Shiva in this way. I'm guessing there are other side altars as well. Probably main congregational worship will be Sunday morning. If there is a contact, you could phone for hours.

Best wishes. Certainly htere is no harm in going anyway. You'll have a better sense by feel once you go.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
24 August 2010, 04:18 PM
Technically all of Hinduism can be called Sanatana Dharma, but there is a particular stream of Hinduism wide spread in the north which explicitely calls itself "Sanatana Dharma" and lacks any other name for the sect. That's where this temple belongs. I am also born in this "sect" of hinduism. It's very common to build temples like this for Sanatana Dharmis.

What's known as smartism in the south is generally known as "sanatana dharma" in the north, even though all hindus can use the same word.

Ganeshprasad
24 August 2010, 05:32 PM
Pranam

Yes a typical Sanatan Mandir North Indian or Gujrati style i am saying Gujrat because of Sri Nathji,
From what i can make out from right to left is Hanuman, Amba maa,Sri Nathji, Radha Krishna in the middle then Sita Rama (that is strange not to have full darbar of Ram) and Lord Shiva

Jai Shree Krishna

new_earth
24 August 2010, 05:43 PM
so, this place is pretty much non-sectarian in a sense? So that Hindus from the area, no matter which personal sect, have somewhere to attend and feel welcome? They have a calendar thing on yahoo, I lost the link but I did see that they have Bhagavad Gita study group every week. That sounds very interesting! I really might look into this place soon. Thanks all for your help!

Eastern Mind
24 August 2010, 06:03 PM
Vannakkam new earth: You're lucky that where you live there are probably 10 temples within a couple of hours. The welcoming bit (from my experience0 may vary on many factors ... language, (This temple may speak Hindi or Gujarati for example) your karma, the individual you meet to start with, etc. But don't be taken aback if it doesn't feel that welcoming, or pleased if it does. Temples are Houses of god, not people. Let us know on how it turns out. The only advice I would have is watch what others do and just do that.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
24 August 2010, 09:26 PM
Both of the temples I've visited were swaminarayan temples. Its not a bad sect, but its not the sect for me either.

rcscwc
14 September 2010, 08:14 AM
When we go to a temple, we don't care "which sect". None asks our sect too.

Eastern Mind
14 September 2010, 11:56 AM
When we go to a temple, we don't care "which sect". None asks our sect too.

Vannakkam rcscwc: When you say 'we', who are you referring to, your immediate family, and your personal view, or 'we' as in 'we Hindus'.

Just asking for clarification.

Aum Namasivaya