PDA

View Full Version : origins of Lord Shiva

charlebs
31 August 2010, 09:51 AM
Hello, I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding Shiva's origins.

I've read that he was self born from Brahma, and also how he presented himself as a flaming pillar without end or beginning.
But how did he came to be!?

I always saw Shiva as the destructive thoughts of God himself taking form as an individual God. Whereas Brahma came to be by creative thoughts.

What are your beliefs about His origin...

Arav
31 August 2010, 10:00 AM

I've read that he was self born from Brahma, and also how he presented himself as a flaming pillar without end or beginning.

I always saw Shiva as the destructive thoughts of God himself taking form as an individual God. Whereas Brahma came to be by creative thoughts.

Shiva in Saivism is unborn, and has no end. Shiva has no origin. No origin, no beginning, and always will be. Shiva is not the destructive thoughts of God, in Saivism Shiva is God.

Eastern Mind
31 August 2010, 11:03 AM
Shiva in Saivism is unborn, and has no end. Shiva has no origin. No origin, no beginning, and always will be. Shiva is not the destructive thoughts of God, in Saivism Shiva is God.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gifVannakkam: You're taking words out of my mouth now. Maybe I will be soon losing my role here. Maybe that's a good thing. Pass it on to the younger generation.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
31 August 2010, 04:10 PM
In the Shiva Puran at least (I know I know, puranas aren't the best scriptures to be reading), he seems to have always been there, without beginning or end, but took birth as the god Rudra, who was self-born from Brahma.

charlebs
01 September 2010, 04:53 AM
In the Shiva Puran at least (I know I know, puranas aren't the best scriptures to be reading), he seems to have always been there, without beginning or end, but took birth as the god Rudra, who was self-born from Brahma.
aha, so his essence so to speak was always there, even before his appearance.

Ashvati
01 September 2010, 04:35 PM
That's the way it seems to me, yes. Kinda like being higher than a deva and then descending down to be among them by taking a comprehensible form other than just a massive talking Shiva Linga. If I recall correctly, thats more or less how he appeared to Brahma and Vishua in the beginning, either that or his voice came from all around and the Linga was there to humble them with its immensity.

purnapragya
11 September 2010, 06:05 AM
Let take an example,I m son,I m Father,Im service man.So if I say I m service man,its right,if I said I m father its also right.
From Rigveda-
―God or Truth is one, only men describe it in different ways‖.
Mahanaaraayna Upanishad says: ―The one who is greater than the great, who having entered into the luminary bodies with his own light, this Lord of people is moving within the hearts of all people‖

Yogkriya
11 September 2010, 08:33 AM
Namah Shivaya!

Shiv is considered to be unborn and hence cannot die, one without a beginning or an end and exists eternally. I don't find the term "Shiva in Shaivis is..".
The story you heard or read about Lord Shiva appearing before Vishnu and Brahm as a huge ling of fire without a beginning or end is taken to be the appearance of Shiva and He says that he has always been there.

There is also another interesting story:

When Lord Brahma presiding over Lrod Shiva's marriage with goddess Parvati, asks Him what his 'gotra is', Shiva at first remains silent. For the readers from outside India, Gotra is the lineage name started by first person that usually is an ancient rishi sage in the family. For example, if someone's gotra is Bhardvaj, then he traces back his family lineage to the Bhardvaj rishi. In some cases it may also mean the lineage of the family Guru.
So upon asking His lineage Gotra by Brahma Shiva keeps quite. Brahma asks again, but no reply. So Brahma asks Shiva who is your father? Shiva says you are my father Brahmaji. He is again asked who his grandfather is? Lord Shiva replies, it is Vishnu. Lord Brahma asks so who is your great grand father? Shiva replies: its ME. And in that way, he reveals that he is the father of the universe and the cosmic manifestation. He is also the ParBrahm. Beyond Brahm. In Vaishnav thought though, this position is given to Vishnu.
But then again, Lord Vishnu has worshipped Lord Shiva in every incarnation. This is revealed not only by Lord Rama and Krishna, or Vishnu's example, but also as per Lord Shiva's own words thus spoken to Lord Krishna in Dvapar.

One may consider Vishnu and Shiva the two sides of the same coin.

The origins of Shiva are unknown. He appears by his own energy. That is why he is also called Swayambhu.

Namaste and Namah Shivaya!
OM SHAM...!

YogKriya

upsydownyupsy mv ss
20 September 2010, 09:47 AM

Hello..... Shiva, has one of his names to be, anadyantheshwara. What do you think it means? It means birthless and deathless.
I can also see you've said, "I always saw Shiva as the destructive thoughts of God himself." If he was so called destructive manifestation, he wouldn't have the name 'shantha', the ever peaceful one.
I don't agree with yog-kriya ji that shiva's father is brahma, although i know he didn't mean it that way. Brahma could never be origin to someone like Shiva. This is another vaishvaite view, especially the school of iskon. He is the son of everyone, not because he has anyone to be his origin. He called brahma his 'father', because god is everyone's child, as he is everyone's father.

I feel very sad when such quetions are put forth.