PDA

View Full Version : Nataraja

atanu
23 October 2006, 03:30 AM
From Kurma Purama (Iswara Gita)

Having narrated all this, the Lord began to dance in divine ecstacy.
The sages saw the effulgent Isvara a repository of divine glow, Mahadeva dancing while Vishnu was in the bright sky.
The yogins who have mastered the yoga, essentiality (centrality) of the yoga philosophy and practice, who have controlled their mental faculties saw the master of all the beings in the sky (dancing).
The whole universe is effected by whose illusory ingenuity and who motivates the whole universe, that master of the universe is seen by the Vipras ^ (the Vedic scholars) Himself dancing.
Dwelling on the lotus feet a person, freed from the hazards of fear of ignorance saw Bhutesa the master of beings dancing.
With stopped breath and controlling sleep with serene mind endowed with devotion saw the lustrous in the form of yogi, the yoga expert.
He who releases from the nescience forthwith and ever loving the devotees, the yogins saw Him Rudra, in the sky who liberates and is the highest.
Thousand-headed with thousand feet, thousand arms with matted hair and having half the moon on the forehead.
Draped in the tiger's skin and holding a long trident in the hand and a stick in another hand with three Vedas as eyes of the sun, the moon and the fire.
The sages saw Him who has pervaded all the universe with His own lustre, who is fierce on account of fierce jaws, difficult to look at and with glare of light as at hundreds of millions of suns.
Creating fire flame and burning the whole world they saw the Lord, the architect of the universe.
The great Lord, the great yogin, and the God of gods, master of all the beings (pasu) Isana happiness, and termed as light.
The carrier of Pinaka bow, possessing wide eyes and a medicine for the world disease, the quintessence of time, the termination of time, the Lord of lords and the exalled Lord.
Husband of Uma, wide eyed, enjoying the highest bliss of yoga, a store house of knowledge and detachment and the form of knowledge and wisdom.
Rich in permanent abundance, the root of all essence, difficult to approach, saluted by Mahendra and Upamahendra and prostrated by the sages.
Residing in the hearts of the yogins, endowed with yoga maya and a cause of the universe Narayana who is free from all the constraints (anamaya) is the name of swa or Hari.
Having seen the godly form of Rudra in the likeness of Hari all the Brahmavadins held themselves contented.
Sanatkumara, Sanaka, Bhrgu, Sanatana, Sanan-dana, Angira, Vamadeva, Sukra, Atri, the sage Kapila and Marici.
Having contemplated in their hearts bending their heads, folding hands once again prostrated their heads having seen Rudra, the Lord of the universe with his left part resembling Padmanabha.
Having uttered omkara, having seen the Lord, and the inmost part entering into ecstatic mystery and the sages prayed, the Lord with pleasure using Brahma vac (vedic verses), with concentrated minds

The munis spoke: you are the only one, the Lord, the most ancient, the oldest, controller of the vital air, known by the name Rudra Ananta infinite yoga; we all salute you who is indwelling our hearts pracetas possessing nature of Brahma and the holy.
The sages see you, the origin of all wisdom, self-controlled, serene, transparent and possessing the shade colour of gold and having meditated with self-agitated atman, the poet and beyond the farthest and all together different.
You are the material out of which everything materialises the world, you are the tiniest among the tiny and the most magnified among the large sized.
The most ancient Hiranyagarbha is born out of you who is also called the sub-conscious intelligence of the world and even after his own existence he works; the worldly attains as per your institutes or 25 mandates.
All the Vedas emanate from you and get posited in you at the termination of the world. We see you as the cause of the universe who enters into our hearts dancing.
You put in motion the wheel of universe. You are the master of Maya and the only super master. We all bow to you having sought shelter in you the yogatman who is performing a divine dance.

We see you dancing in the midst of sky (empty space) and recollect your greatness; enjoy the dance repeatedly, seeing you penetrating in each individual.
28-29.
You are expressed by the term omkara, the seed of emancipation, you are the permanent root of all the visible world and hidden all though. The sages who have eliminated their demerits visualise you who is the truth verily and the sages dwell in you, you are the self effulgent. This is truly said
Note : Yoga sutra - tasya vacakah pranavah
You are the last terminus and the beginningless, the universal form and the senior most among the gods Brahma, Vishnu and Paramesthin. The sages enter you who have realised themselves, self-effulgent and freed from all time and situations enter you.
Note : Parana rekam nihitam guhya
You are the only one 0 Rudra! You create the universe, you also protect the whole universe having the form of the world and in the end it devolves unto you who have surrendered unto your shelter. Salutations unto you.
There is only one Veda possessing many branches and multifaceted. You are the one whose single profile you seek refuge unto you who is to be enumerated and those who surrender only pass over the illusion of the world.
You are the one, the poet, know you as Brahma, Rudra and Hari and also Agni, and Isa, Rudra the wind, eekitana, Dhata, the sun, and in myriad other forms and manifestations.
You are the indestructible to be known, realised, you are the final shelter of the world, you are the changeless ever protecting religion (the inherent attribute of each category) you are ageless, you are the apex among men.
You are Vishnu as also four faced, you are Rudra the Lord, Isa, you are the master of the world, you are the base of the Prakriti, you are the Lord of the universe and the super-master.
You are the only one, the eldest purusa, having a glow of the sun and beyond the darkness, the only consciousness, indeterminate and multi form like sky, Brahman and you are attributeless without om.
Note : See Guru
In whom all this multiplicity appears, who is decayless, pure, and uniform something indeterminable; you are that form in which every thing reflects truly.
You are the master of Yoga, infinite potency, you possess the formless shape of the old Brahma, we all salute you, who seek refuge in you Mahesa, the master of all the animate entities.
By concentrating on your lotus feet, the seeds of the mundane existence get distroyed having controlled our mind and disciplining our body we make you please, 0 the only master.
Salutations to you 0 Bhava! You are the cause of Bhava, the Kala which engulfs everything. 0 Hara! salutations to Rudra, Kapardin, salutations to the Fire and salutations to Siva.
The rider on Bull, Kapardin having pleased compressing his form shaped himself as original Bhava.
Having seen once again seated as previously with Narayana all the sages having surprised, spoke these sentences to the master of past, present and future. , '
0 Lord! master of the past, present and future, seated on the Bull, as the seat of governance having seen you in His form, we are all withdrawn from the snares of the world.
Let there be unflinching devotion in you, O Parame-svara! the supreme Lord and pure by your grace.
Now we want to listen to your greatness. Sankara! once again the glory and its truthfulness which is permanent.
Having heard the words of the yogins who can award the protection of yoga, spoke in a determined voice having glanced at Madhava,

Here ends the fifth chapter in Isvara Gita

atanu
23 October 2006, 04:18 AM
Iswara Gita contd.

Isvara spoke:
1. Congregated Brahmavadins ! Please listen! The quintessence of the Lord of Lords who goads and energises everything into action.

2. 1 cannot be experienced (jnatum) by austerities or offering many kinds of gifts and donations nor by performing sacrifices and can be known only by Bhakti with full devotion.

3. I reside in the inmost part of all the sentient living everywhere. O sages, the, world does not know me as the witness of every action and thing.

4. I am the universal in whom all and every thing resides and who destroys all. I am dhata, Vidhata 1 am Kala, Agni and facing all directions.

5. The sages do not visualise me nor all the pitrs (manes) and celestial beings, Brahma and the Manus, Sakra and other celebrated brave personalities.

6. The Vedas throughout describe me alone as the highest God and the Brahmins institute Vedic yajnas (sacrifices) of many types and details only for me.

7. All the worlds salute me the master of all the beings, the supreme Lord

8. I am the enjoyer of all the offerings of the devotees in sacrifices and also award boons as per the desires of the devotees. I assume the form of all the Gods for whom offerings are intended, I am the. universal soul and the refuge of all.

9. The religious scholars and those devoted to the study of the Vedas can visualise me. I am always close to them who regularly worship me.

10. All the religious minded, the Brahmanas, the Ksatriyas, the Vaisyas and whoever worships me I award them that status and position which is all pleasure and the highest.

11. Even others, the lower caste people, named as sudras observing their svarvadharma personal and caste duties devotedly get liberated in a single period of time in due course.

12. My devotees get freed from all the demerits and do not get deserted or destroyed. Inilially I have vowed that my devotee shall not perish.

13. Those who despise my devotee, condemn the Lord of Lords and he who regards them with reverence they worship me.

14. He who offers me leaves, flowers, fruits or even water as a mark of worship regularly is my devotee and dear to me.

15. Initially I transferred all the Vedas that have evolved out of me to Brahma, the Parameshthin at the beginning of the creation.

16. I am the guru, the just teacher of all the yogins I am the protector of the religious minded and killer of the enemies of the Vedic tradition.

17. I am the liberator of the yogins from this world and I am also cause of this world. I am also free from any worldly tinge.

18. I am the vanquisher, the creator and the protector. Maya is my energy (potency) Maya is creating illusion in the world.

19. My power Vidya which is named as Parasakti, the absolute persuasive power and living implanted in the immost hearts of the yogins, I dismiss the Maya.

20. 1 am the promulgator and the dissolver of all the energies and the base of all (the potencies) originating base of immortality.

21. One power permeating all manifestations brings out the plurality of the world and assuming, the shape of Brahman nature in me with my characteristics.

22. There is another extraordinary power which regulates the activities of the world assuming the form of Narayana, Ananta Jagannatha and permea-ling the world thought.

23. There as a third energy which extirpates the total world. This is tamasic or dark and named as kala and has the form (mode) of Rudra.

24.1 am visualised by meditation, others achieve it by (right) others by devotion and still others by action (karma yoga).

25. Of all the devotees the most affectionately attached is one who pleases me by jnana yoga or the path of knowledge always and not otherwise.

26. And the other devotees who adore me, those who offer reverence to Hari also reach me and do not take birth again.

27.1 have enveloped this universe in the form of Pradhana and Purusa and the metempsychosis in said in me and I may activate the whole earth.

28. 0 vipra! I do not energise those who are engaged in the yogic practies but I propel to some action and he who knows this is deathless.

29.1 see the whole universe as existing by nature and inherent quality in it (svabhavatat). Mahayo-geshwara, the great yoga teacher himself who is also Kala Time causes the agitation in the cosmic process.

30. The scholars describe me in the sastras as yogin or Mayi controller of Maya, the creative power. This yogi is great master Lord Mahadeva, Yogis-varathe "I" pervading all.

31. This "I" is the great Lord, He is called Paramesthi since he is the most important of all the things and being superior to all. The is named so. He is pure and is Maha Brahmamaya possessing the quality of maha Brahma the mighest Brahman.

32. He who knows me as the Maha Yogeswara with his unqualified yoga gets identified with me-there is no doubt.

33. He is expert in Yoga who knows that I am the motivator of all actions and in my full pursuit of pleasures, I dance always.

34. This is the most esoteric knowledge and singularly narrated in the Vedas uniformly. This knowledge should be imparted only to those who prosecute fire worship as prescribed in religious texts. He should be devoted to the prescribed religious activities with deleetable devotion and conscientious obligation.

Om Namah Shivayaa

Bob G
12 November 2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281&stc=1&d=1194879651

atanu
16 December 2007, 11:09 AM
Iswara Gita from Kurma Purana (contd.)

D. Satyanarayana

Isvara Gita ( Chapter VI )

Ishwara said

1. O sages! Now listen to the greatness of Paramesthin, all of you, I narrate that which is known only to the vedic scholars, as detailed.

2 I am the creator of all the worlds, protector of all the worlds, the only destroyer of all the worlds, the universal soul, the ageless.

3 I reside in all the objects inherently in the beginning, in the middle and throughout.

4. The wonderous form of mine that you have seen, this is my reflection only and shown to you as illusion.

5. By my action - energy I excite all the inmost aspiration to agitate that dwells inside belonging to the total world.

6. I am the instrument in making all the mundane activity and all that follows, the craving pregnant inside. I escalate the whole fragmentary world in all the forms of kala (Time or death)

7. The whole universe is only a transformation; my fraction of energy, I protect them by a fraction and I extinguish them by a fraction.

8. I am free from beginning, middle or the end installer of the element of Maya and agitate both the Pradhana and the purusa.

9. By whose conjunction, the universe gets shaped in each other and emanate in order of Mahat etc. all that is my energy.

10. He who is the universal witness and promoter of the wheel of time, Hiranyagarbha, Martanda he is also born out of my "Body.

11. To him, I gifted the four Vedas, O dvijas and my wealth of wisdom which is ever present.

12. He is on my assignment, the divine Brahma, influenced by my exclusive entity and always retains with him my majesty.

13. He is the self-born omnisceent endowed with four faces and creates all the worlds under my mandates.

14. Narayana, the infinite who is also stated as the source of action of the world is but my form who protects the world.

15. Rudra who destroys all the beings, of the nature of death, the Lord is also of my form (manifestation) and under my orders extinguished all.

16. The fire, who carries the Havya and Kavya for the gods and for the eaters of Kavya and cooks (digests) he also acts under my directions.

17. The power operating on the food consumed day and night under the name of Vaisvanara also undertakes all this under my directions.

18. The Lord of the waters Varunadeva, enlivens all the beings only by the orders of the Lord.

19. He, who indwells in the beings and outside known as the wind makes the body enlivened by my instructions.

20. He who invigorates the sapient beings and the store of nectar to the gods the Moon, also works under my directions and authority.

21. The sun who illumines the whole world by his bright sunshine all through and convective clouds to rain by His effulgence.
Note : Katha 2.5.15

22. Sakra the lord of the Gods controlling and ruling the whole world, bestower of fruits to the sacrifices, he exists under my orders.

23. Yama, Vaivasvata son of Vivasvan controls the rough and violent-prone acts under my controlling guidance.

24. Kubera, the divine treasurer and master of all the riches and the distributor of wealth also acts under my instructions.

25. Nirati who is the master of all the demons and the Lord of the tamasic elements (darkness) works under my mandates.

26. He who is the master of the vampires awarding my boon fruits to enjoy to his devotees also performs his duties under my orders.

27. Vamadeva, the disciple of Angiras and leader of the group of Rudras, protector of the Yogins officiates under my orders.

28. Vighnanayaka, the remover of all obstacles revered by all the world, one without a leader, busy in spiritual activities also acts under my orders.

29. Lord Skanda, the army chief of gods, most skilled among the knowers of the Brahman, self-born also performs his duties directed by Vidhi. Devasena is also the name of Skanda's spouse.

30. The sages like Marichi and others who are prajapatis create various worlds under the instructions of the Higher God.

31. Sri, the goddess of wealth, awarding riches to all the beings, spouse of Narayana, acts so under my officers.

32. Sarasvati, the goddess of speech, also gets her respectful place due to the grace conferred upon her by me.

33. Savitri, the goddess of Brahmavidya negotiates away rest of all the people from the terrible hells only by remembering, performs so under my instructions.

34. Parvati, the highest goddess, bestowing the Brahmavidya on all on meditation does so under my orders.

35. Ananta, the great serpent Sesa whose greatness is infinite carrying the endless weight of the world on his head does so under the instructions of the Lord.

36. The fire known as Samvartaka always resides as Badava the fire in the great ocean drinks all the (excess) waters of the seas at the instruction of the Lord.

37. Manus, the widely famed who protects the 14 lakhs (regions of the universe) protects and governs all the subjects under His orders.

38. Aditya, Vasu, Rudra, Marut, Asvin twins, and other gods are appointed in their spheres of duty under the orders of Mine.

39. Gandharvas, Garudas and other Siddha, Sadhya carana, yaksas, Raksasas - all exist or continue in being as created by the self-born.

40. Kala, Kastha, Nimesa Muhurta, day, night, seasons fortnights' months all rotate under the sphere of Prajapati.

41. Yuga, Manvantara para and paradha the different units of time are in existence because of my instructions.

42. The four types of beings moveable and immovable remain in animation due to the governance of the Lord.

43. All the spheres such as patal (nether regions) all the bhuvanas, Brahmanda all remain in their position due to the command of the self-born.

44. All the spheres of Brahmanda now extinct which are innumerable with their ingredient parts all attached exist under my governance.

45. In future worlds that may spring up with the inherent parts and links shall always remain under the orders of the highest God.

46. Earth, waters, wind, fire, sky, mind, brain and the primary nativity in the being all this is effected under my orders.

47. The transforming Maya which effects constant changes in the worlds the aggregate of all the species and eluding all the bodied beings, all the time continuously does so under my orders.

48. The divine glow that sparks named as Purusa the soul, resides in the body under my orders.

49. The great wisdom endowed by the grace of Lord Mahesvara removes the nescience and assists in realising the self-effulgent light. She also acts under the offices of the Lord.

50. Why indulge in details; all this world is but an expression of my potency. I induce all to animation and I in the end devour them all.

51. I am the Lord, self-resplendent, ever living the great soul Para Brahman, there is nothing beyond me.

52. This most subtle esoteric knowledge I have imparted to you and knowing this a being shall be redeemed from all the bondage of birth and otherworldly snares.

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
16 December 2007, 11:15 AM
Iswara Gita from Kurma Purana (contd.)

D. Satyanarayana

Isvara Gita (Chapter VII)

1. O sages! Please all of you listen the greatness of paramesthin knowing which a person gets emancepated and does not have birth in this world again and again.

2. I reside beyond the absolute Brahma, who is changeless and undecaying, permanent always blissful without any ramification.

3. I am Brahma among those who know the Brahman and self-born, having faces in all the directions (four) and among those who master Maya I am the changeless Hari.

4. Among the yogins I am Sambhu, among the women I am the daughter of the Himalaya (Parvati) among the Adityas I am Vishnu and fire among the Vasus.

5. Among Rudras I am Sankara, I am Garuda among birds among the elephants I am Airavata, and among the possessor of weapons I am Parasurama.

6. Among the sages I am Vasistha, among the gods I am the performer of hundred sacrifices (Indra) among the architects I am Visvakarma and among the demons I am Prahlada.

7. I am Vyasa among Sages, among the ganas I am Vinayaka, among the brave I am Virabhadra and among the siddhas I am sage Kapila.

8. Among the mourtains I am the mount Meru, I am the moon among stars, among the weapons of destruction I am the Vajra (dramma) and among the vows I am the Truth.

9. Among the serpents lam Ananta, among the Chief of army commanders I am Kartikeya, among the stages of life I am the householder's stage, and Mahesvara among the divine beings.

10. Among the kalpas I am Mahakalpa, amontheyugasl am the quarter of time the Satyayuga among the Vyaksas I am Kubera, and Virndhka among the chiefs of the tribes.

11. Among the prajapatis, I am Daksa, among all the Raksas I am Nirrati, the wind among the powerful and Puskara among the islands.

12. I am the lion among the quadrupeds among the appliances I am the bow, I am Samaveda among the Vedas and in the Yajurveda I am the Satarudriya part.

13. Among the basic repeating verses (root) I am Savitri, among the esoteric mystiques I am Pranava, among the hymns I am the Purusa Sukta and among the samas I am the Jyestha sama.

14. I am the self-born svayambhu Manu among all the Vedic scholars, I am the Brahmavartha among the countries and among the religious centres I am Varanasi.

15. Among the branches of learning i am the spirutual konowledge and in the knowledges I am the divine Kowledge , among the elements i am the sky and among the categories I am the death.

16. Among the snares I am Maya, among the centuring agencies I am Kala, in the firal stage I am the emancipation and I am the God among the highest phenomenon.

17. And any other element whatever exists in the world with glow vitality, permanancy know all that to be facts of my personality.

18. All these sentient beings who reside in the world are termed as pasas (animal) since being their master I am named as Pasupati.

19. I tighten my grip over the pasus by my sports and I am termed as the releaser of all of those pasus from the snares thus say the experts in the Vedas.

20. To those who are tied down by the ropes of maya there is no other release except me who is the super lord and the master of all the beings, the changeless.

21. The Maya, Karma, Guna etc. are enumerated as 24 categories; these are the snares of Pasupati and klesas are started on enforcer of the ties.

22. Mana, Buddhi, Ahankara, kha, wind, fire, water, and earth these eight are called prakriti and the rest all as Vikara.

23. Ear, skin, eyes, tongue, nose, the five and the renal, the genito urinary organs, arms, legs, speech taken together make ten.

24. Sound, touch, form, taste, odour they all total to 23 categories produced out of prakriti.

25. The 24th category is indeterminate and known as pradhana, and charaaterised by the three gunas, is the cause of this world a creation which is beginning less, without middle and end.

26. The three gunas are termed as sattva, rajas and tamas and the Prakriti is the equalibrium of the three.

27. The knowledge (arising in association with these) is also called (classed) as sattva, rajas, and tamas. The disturbance in this equality, in the guna's equallibrium is called chaos or Vaisamya.

28. The actions known as dharma, adharma are the two snares but when these actions are dedicated to me do not turn to be binding forces but act for release.

29. Those pasas or snares are avidya, asmita raga, dvesa, abhinivesa and, collectwely named as klesas and are called pasas because they act as binding agents.

30. The root cause of all these snares (pasa) is Maya -- that power called Maya resides in me, the prime prakriti indeterminate.

31. The primal Prakriti, Pradhana Purusa all the three are the evolutes of Mahat etc. and the god of gods Isvara one all beginningless.

32. He is the snare, He is the enforcer of the find, He is the instrument and appliance of arrest, He is the protector of all the pasus, the sentient beings. He knows every thing and none knows Him. He is called the first being the oldest and the prime.

Om Namah Shivaya

Kaos
16 December 2007, 12:02 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/lotus-sculpture_1977_26767366

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
16 December 2007, 01:15 PM
Nice picture. I posted a link to the dikshitars of Chidambaram on the videos board. One would think they know a bit about Nataraja. Aum Natarajesvara Namaha.