PDA

View Full Version : Mantras

Eric11235
07 September 2010, 09:29 AM
Vannakam everybody.

I just started using a mantra for my meditation practices, it is not a personal mantra bestowed upon me by a Guru, it is one to Saraswati. I was wondering if anybody has any personal favorite devotional mantras. If so, post your favorite devotional mantra on here. I do realize that this is a very personal matter for some people, and as such, I would not like to encroach on your personal commune with god, I'm not asking anyone to put up their personal mantra, just a devotional one (if that makes sense). So if you're comfortable with posting, please by all means share!

Om Eim Saraswatyei Swaha.

Namaste

sunyata07
08 September 2010, 06:08 AM
As I have yet to find my guru (God willing in this life), I have no qualms about sharing with you a mantra that I use regularly for japa. I frequently use the Ganesha mantra for devotional recitation: Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha. For regular meditation I mostly just use: Om namah Shivaya.

It is interesting that you like the Saraswati mantra. I have used it in the past, myself when I was getting ready for an exam period in college. I still use it as an invocation before I read any of the scriptures. Are you a student, yourself? Gah, that's a silly question. We're all of us students - learning does not stop after one leaves school.

Namaste,

OM Shanti

Onkara
08 September 2010, 06:17 AM
Namaste
I have found that some mantras seems to "fit" better than others. Along with their meaning I find that normally dictates which ones I use. I use mantras which are sattvic in the sensation they give to me when repeated. I use them to focus on God within; as a way to concentrate my mind :)

E.g. Om nama shivaya. Sri krishna shananam mama. Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya.

I am not clear on some points, and would appreciate clarification on them:

1) Does the meter or number of syllables make a difference and how?
2) Can a devotee adapt or add "Om" "namo" to them to assist with japa?

I hope this is helpful :)

Eastern Mind
08 September 2010, 06:40 AM
Vannakkam:

Aum Saravanabhava is a powerful mantram for me when done a certain way. I use it during penance. (Murugan) But I think that mantra use is as about as individualised as we are. I also do Namasivaya regularly. Whtever works. I remember as teenagers just getting into these things, we could sit around and Aum for hours on end, with everyone going at their own rate so there was a constant Aum in the room,. After a couple of hours it felt like you were in some cave.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
08 September 2010, 07:27 AM
Vannakkam EM
Does it make a theoretical difference if one adds "om" to "nama shivaya", do you happen to know? I read that "nama shivaya" is intended to be 5 syllables, so adding "om" potentially is not the same.

Personally I see little difference, but it is one of those questions I ask myself :)

Eastern Mind
08 September 2010, 07:44 AM
Vannakkam Snip:

To me personally it makes a big difference, but I can't go into the reasons why. Let's just say I don't add the Aum. Of course others may vary.

Some sampradayas or people are pretty insistent on mantras being effective if it is from mantra diksha, or initiation by a qualified teacher. Other teachings are less so. Still others say the Gayatri for example should never be said aloud together with someone else. There is lots of varying ideas on the whole subject.

In Namasivaya itself there is debate on the correct pronunciation of the s whether it is s, sh of yet another combination. My friend in Chidambaram explained it to me as a ch then sh blend.

Then we have all the bhajans that glorify the mantras. I can't tell you how many different variations of that I've heard on Namasivaya. Google it on videos and have a listen.

I personally don't thing chanting any mantram can do you any HARM, (some people would say it can) but I do think effectiveness might vary. But that's obviously true just from day to day and how much you 'get into it' . There are days when the mind wanders off the mantra without you catching it, and there are other days when you more or less dissolve or immerse yourself in the japa.

Doubt if this has been much help, but hey ideas are to be tossed out there.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
08 September 2010, 07:59 AM
Vannakkam EM
Thank you, and thanks for the earlier answers on other threads, I don't always have much to say in reply but appreciate the fresh perspective each time :)

Regarding the idea that a mantra could harm oneself, my experience is that some mantras feel wrong and I have simply stopped using them. I think if we listen to ourselves then we will find we will reject naturally that which doesn't taste good.

My theory is that this is why a Guru can be most helpful, as the Guru can taste for you and guide the earlier devotee to a mantra which may suit them (Gurus may change a devotee's mantra as they progress).

Woops.. I see in my haste it should have been "Namasivaya". Thanks :)

Eric11235
08 September 2010, 08:41 AM
Vannakam Sunyata07

in regards to my use of the Saraswati mantra, I am a student, but I also am a musician, and I wish to become more acquainted with the vedas.

Namaste

yajvan
08 September 2010, 08:55 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté eric 11235,

If you wish to look at techniques that are notable, and connected with a tradition, consider the following HDF posts:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2323 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2323)

praṇām

rammala
08 October 2010, 09:42 AM
There is a 51 letter siva mantra as used by Thirumoolar the great siddha.
it is available at www.sivayoga .com along with DQ3 lessons given from them.
3 Divine qualities.
It is interesting.