PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the Devas

Eric11235
08 September 2010, 10:00 PM
Vannakam everybody

I have a theory, you may or may not agree with it. It is actually an amalgam of a few theories, but here it goes. The universe is a BIG place (approximately 46.5 billion lightyears and getting larger). Within the galaxy there are trillions of galaxies, each with Septillions of planets. So one might think "What does this have to do with anything?" well, if you think about it, the Supreme God has a lot on their hands, considering they control this huge expanse. So it's kind of hard for me to think that Earth is the only concern of the One god (the likeliness of aliens to me is very high) So here comes the big chunk of the theory. the devas, are all manifestations of the one supreme being, but they exist specifically for the earth, So the god can keep tabs on all planets, what if there are devas for other planets having sapient life. I hope this doesn't go against the vedas. it is just a theory of mine.

I hope I have not offended anyone with my thoughts.

Namaste

Eastern Mind
08 September 2010, 10:02 PM
Vannakkam Eric:

I agree. I believe some devas are interplanetary. No offense taken from this soul anyway.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
09 September 2010, 01:20 AM
Namaste Eric and EM
I have been considering where we might find the Devas and likewise where are the Asuras, which play such a vital role in the Srimad Bhagavata Purana?

Perhaps they have retired to the worlds beyond our perception, to watch us play out the Lord's lila.

I wonder if it is applicable to learn from the puranas and attribute their actions and behaviours to humans? Perhaps some humans behave, if only momentarily like Asuras and other people like Devas?

I don't wish to change your thread with this topic, but I enjoy where your OP might lead.

Surya Deva
09 September 2010, 04:43 AM
Namaste,

Devas are not people. Deva comes from the root div which means to shine or shining one. A synonym for the the word is senses. In other words devas are like energies or powers that govern the universe and are based in our own senses. This is why they say that the devas preside over our senses(Indra, for example, presides over our intellect) If we are to understood them more accurately they are natural principles that operate within the universal mind.

Hinduism is santana dharma, which means it is a religion of the eternal laws and principles which maintain the universe. In Vedic times, these eternal laws and principles were called "devas" There are many such principles: Agni is the principle of energy conservation; indra is the principle of discrimination; mitra-varuna is the principle of intuition; Vayu is the principle of energy transformation; Brahma/Prajapati is the creative principle; Vishnu is the preservation principle and Shiva is the dissolution principle.

If you read the Vedas properly you will learn about all these eternal principles and what functions they have. Knowing these eternal principles will educate you on on how to live in harmony with dharma and how to be prosperous materially and spiritually.

NayaSurya
09 September 2010, 05:09 AM
I agree it's very possible. If we look at the word alien itself it stands to reason anything not of this gross physical reality on earth could be considered "alien".

There are many worlds with which perhaps...even our own eyes can not percieve here around us.

http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/en

SB 5.24.9 (http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/9/en): My dear King, in the imitation heavens known as bila (http://vedabase.net/b/bila)-svarga (http://vedabase.net/s/svarga) there is a great demon named Maya (http://vedabase.net/m/maya)Dānava (http://vedabase.net/d/danava), who is an expert artist and architect. He has constructed many brilliantly decorated cities. There are many wonderful houses, walls, gates, assembly houses, temples, yards and temple compounds, as well as many hotels serving as residential quarters for foreigners. The houses for the leaders of these planets are constructed with the most valuable jewels, and they are always crowded with living entities known as Nāgas and Asuras, as well as many pigeons, parrots and similar birds. All in all, these imitation heavenly cities are most beautifully situated and attractively decorated.

SB 5.24.10 (http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/10/en): The parks and gardens in the artificial heavens surpass in beauty those of the upper heavenly planets. The trees in those gardens, embraced by creepers, bend with a heavy burden of twigs with fruits and flowers, and therefore they appear extraordinarily beautiful. That beauty could attract anyone and make his mind fully blossom in the pleasure of sense gratification. There are many lakes and reservoirs with clear, transparent water, agitated by jumping fish and decorated with many flowers such as lilies, kuvalayas, kahlāras and blue and red lotuses. Pairs of cakravākas and many other water birds nest in the lakes and always enjoy in a happy mood, making sweet, pleasing vibrations that are very satisfying and conducive to enjoyment of the senses.

SB 5.24.11 (http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/11/en): Since there is no sunshine in those subterranean planets, time is not divided into days and nights, and consequently fear produced by time does not exist.

SB 5.24.12 (http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/12/en): Many great serpents reside there with gems on their hoods, and the effulgence of these gems dissipates the darkness in all directions.

SB 5.24.13 (http://vedabase.net/sb/5/24/13/en): Since the residents of these planets drink and bathe in juices and elixirs made from wonderful herbs, they are freed from all anxieties and physical diseases. They have no experience of grey hair, wrinkles or invalidity, their bodily lusters do not fade, their perspiration does not cause a bad smell, and they are not troubled by fatigue or by lack of energy or enthusiasm due to old age.

This sounds so much like New York, the city that "Doesn't sleep" or perhaps Vegas.:P

kallol
09 September 2010, 07:39 AM
Possibly in the highest loka, where the gods belong the attributes might be diffrent than what we can percieve.

It might be possible to be omnipresent, all knowing, etc. Like electron can be representated by a static wave or a particle. ;)

:)

Love and best wishes

openyoureyes
09 September 2010, 10:28 PM
That is how I view Gods and Goddesses as well. Unity in diversity and all that jazz.

saidevo
10 September 2010, 01:29 AM
namaste everyone.

Just as a human soul--jIva, is expressed in three forms: physical, subtle (emotional/mental) and spiritual (Self), Devas have their three forms:

• In their AdhyAtmika--spiritual, form, they are manifestations of Brahman and the administrators of the gross universe and the subtle worlds.

• In their Adhidaivika--divine, form, they have a divya-sharIram--divine, gross body, in which form they reside in the devalokas--divine worlds.

• In their Adhibautika--gross elemental, form, they are dissolved in the elements of the universe.

KAnchi ParamAchArya in his lecture on Vedic sacrifices has this to say:
http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part5/chap19.htm

"The devas, or celestials. While in this world they remain dissolved in the five elements, in the celestial world they exist in a visible form. Those who have obtained siddhi or perfection by chanting the mantras can also see them in their gross form in their celestial abode besides receiving their blessings in their subtle form. The gods emanated from the Paramatman as a result of the vibrations produced by the mantras. We may therefore describe the mantras as the 'sonic' form of the deities."

As for other physical worlds with human-like residents, although Science says it is only a remote possibility, Hindu PurANas do speak of them as indicated by NayaSurya (post no.5).

Theosophy speaks of globes and chains and lifestreams involving Devas, humans and planets. According to this knowledge system, there was a Moon Chain of life on the planet Moon which on its termination migrated to the Earth and started an Earth Chain of Life. In future, the Moon which is now a satellite of the Earth will disintegrate completely and Earth will become a sattlite to the globe where the next chain of life starts (possibly Mars).

Check this book for further details:
'The Solar System' by Arthur E. Powell,
http://www.scribd.com/doc/16619974/A-E-Powell-The-Solar-System

rainycity
18 December 2010, 08:01 AM
why would the supreme being need helpers?

NayaSurya
18 December 2010, 08:41 AM
Every single thing is Beloved, all playing out their part. The helpers (Deva), the "helped" (A bird eating a fruit) and even some of the previously helped (birds sitting in the tree observing).

rainycity
19 December 2010, 03:44 AM
if the supreme being is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent he doesn't need any helpers. Furthermore the universe does not need an operator or operators because it operates on its own laws.

Arjuni
19 December 2010, 04:04 AM
Namasté, rainycity,

My thoughts may be wrong, but they are these:

The many facets of a cut diamond do not help the diamond, for its substance is already strong and valuable as-is. Rather, each lovely face is part of, and helps to reflect, the overall beauty of the whole. So does each Deva show us the awe, wonder, and grace of the Supreme.

The Devas are this gift, and another: by providing us small droplets of joy and wisdom, a little at a time, they allow us to gradually grow in capacity and knowledge so that we are not deluged by experiencing the ocean of Supreme Bliss all at once.

The Devas do not help the Supreme. They help us to reach the Supreme. Their existence is not a weakness or deficiency in the Supreme, but a priceless gift to us.

Indraneela
===
"I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
19 December 2010, 07:53 AM
Vannakkam Rainy city: This is an excellent question. I agree with Indraneela's views on who the deva's are helping. Certainly the Supreme needs no help.

But the term 'devas' itself I believe may be interpreted differently by different people. For me personally, there are several categories. A conscious plane or first world example is the person who stops on the side on the road to assist in repairing a flat tire. He or she could be referred to as a deva.

Secondly, there are the kind souls between births. Former relatives or friends who assist in the dreamworld or in other subtle ways (such as hovering about when you're sad to cheer you up, perhaps felt in a ray of sunshine, or fresh cool breeze on a hot day) most of us would be unaware of. (There are also some asuras in this category. Alcoholics between births , having not resolved that particular karma, can 'use' another's body to satisfy their addiction.)

A third category might be more inner plane beings who assist in even more powerful ways. Perhaps you have unfinished business (karma) and because of your beseeching of Gods, or dedication to a cause, or inner japa, they help out. (perhaps as a wave of kindness, or a tug on the back of your shirt to 'refrain from this' felt in a moment when you are about to get angry)

Mystically, each of us is assigned personal devas at the time of the formal rites into Hinduism (namakarana samskara). In other mystical traditions, these ones may be referred to as 'my inner guide' sometimes even having names.

Yet a much deeper category are Mahadevas. In my version of Hinduism. Lords Murugan and Ganapati are Mahadevas. Murugan is said to be the commander of the army of devas.

So from my point of view, the term 'devas' can be misunderstood in the same way we lump words like 'Hindus, or 'Russians' together.

Just my two cents.

Aum namasivaya

realdemigod
19 December 2010, 10:32 AM
Though I'm firm believer in God, I have a radical point of view. I believe God created us for his own amusement and pleasure - you can find the basis for this in Bhagavad-Gita though not explicitly mentioned. He is playing a game with all of us giving several opportunities to win in the game of life, go back to Godhead or fail and take repeated births. If you play by the rules you will be a very happy soul..through spiritual ways.

I came to this abstract after thinking for really long may be for months and my basis is why does God have to create several universes.. several planets and place souls in each planet (reference Bhagavatam) unless he is doing something he is required to.. like his duty or he wants to amuse himself by letting us play in his game.

Also from Gita, God (Lord Krsna) though in all his power can do anything he wants but still is impartial to all of the living beings.

Lord Krsna also says the whole universe will cease if he stops working and I believe all this makes sense only if he is acting under certain laws or rather rules he sets for his own game.

A Supreme Intelligence is controlling all our lives and sometimes I believe we can never comprehend it and there might not be any divine thing as such but someone very intelligent who surpassed all the knowledge we can ever gain in our earth time