PDA

View Full Version : Yajna and Homam

yajvan
23 October 2006, 03:02 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
On another forum there was a discussion on puja and homam.
I thought to bring this to this forum and see what others think
and what others are doing in this area. Here's a few things I think of and
would be appreciative to those that wish to offer their insights and experiences.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Some rituals go by puja, homan and havan. They also go under the mainstay of Yajna ( from "yaj" to sacrifice).

The connection with these are pointed out in the Bhagavad-gita ( Chapt 3, on Actions). Its pointed out by Keshava that "through yajna you sustain the gods and those gods will sustain you. By sustaining each other you will attain the highest good" .

The 'gods' of the Veda are deva and various laws of nature we experience and exercise daily without being much aware of them, yet act on every level of life, material-physical, emotional, mental, etc.

These homam/puja have various levels of influence, both on the sadhu and on the environment - they are considered very uplifting and an important part of Dharma (literally from dhr or "that which upholds" or "what holds together").

Some people may experience something during or after these pujas ( or not at all). Yet overall , they are of satvic nature and are designed for the evolution of the individual.
The key to the success is the Pujari or the person performing the Yajna (pronounced Yag-ya). As his level of consciousness and purity (sattva) is of great influence; that is to be able to operate/perform the puja from a very subtle level of consciousness ( Rta or "truth") influences the whole experience.

The more evolved the pundit/priest/pujari, the greater effect on those at the puja and in the environment. Hence , the various Pundits are typically Brahmins as we know, trained in this and from the family line to be most effective in the success of Yajya.

Are these things of value? - I am of the opinion that they are, as they are pointed out in the Vedas as actions to pursue. According to many a rishi, Yagya is a process of bringing the individual into harmony with the stream of evolution and bring favor of all the forces that power this grand universe.

What we need to guard ourselves from is "mood making" - that this or that yajya did this or that and I am now so "scrubbed and clean" from this - we delude ourselves and keep ourselves bound once more to ignorance. Innocence here is a virtue.

Do I practice yagya? yes. On two levels:
- the ceremonial part ( I have them performed for me in India; and go to our local temple)
- the daily part - meditation is Yajya - when one transcends, one "gives up" all actions and a surrender happens w/o effort.This is Yajya.
The "Ceremonial part" is the part we can see, smell(incense) taste (Prasad), etc. The "meditation part" is the personal/subjective part that gets one aligned with these laws of nature, and ultimate surrender ( yajya )to the Self.

I would be a delight to hear from those that perform and participate in yajya if you care to contribute your experiences.

pranams,