PDA

View Full Version : Malas

Eric11235
12 September 2010, 06:27 PM
Vannakam all,

Today I purchased a 108 bead mala at my temple, I just used it for my meditation, and I can truly say that it helps a great deal. I feel so energized and peaceful. I'm just wondering who else uses a Mala on here, and what type of wood they use (or crystal or what have you) and if it helps you at all. I find it makes my meditation more focused.

'Til Next time

Eastern Mind
12 September 2010, 06:41 PM
Vannakkam Eric: Good to hear. We just had this discussion recently here

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=6294&highlight=malas

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

PatrickMB
15 April 2011, 08:41 AM
Hello Eric,

I purchased my mala online from exoticindia.com, I think it was. I chant on it daily. Coming from a Catholic background, I'm very familiar with using prayer beads. As I am at a spiritual crossroads, of sorts, some days I pray on both the mala and the rosary on the same day. I believe it's all the same God, whether in the Aspect of Jesus or Maa Durga.

Sahasranama
15 April 2011, 10:57 AM
Hello Eric,

I purchased my mala online from exoticindia.com, I think it was. I chant on it daily. Coming from a Catholic background, I'm very familiar with using prayer beads. As I am at a spiritual crossroads, of sorts, some days I pray on both the mala and the rosary on the same day. I believe it's all the same God, whether in the Aspect of Jesus or Maa Durga.

You have already rejected part of Christian doctrine, now you just have to learn to reject that personality associated with the Bible and you are on your way of becoming a Hindu, if becoming a Hindu is what you want of course.

yajvan
15 April 2011, 11:15 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

mālā is a string of beads , necklace , rosary. Yet this mālā ia also 'a series' , a regular succession; with nāmnām , a collection of words arrayed in a series such as a chant.

Sometimes this mālā is considered mālin - garlanded , crowned , encircled or surrounded by; This can be surrounded by flowers beads, etc.

Yet when we say mala ( without the long ā ) we are talking of a blemish. That is , rooted (√) mlai meaning dirt , filth , dust , impurity .

So how does one write mālā if it is not easy to add the long ā to the word? We do it this way: mAlA. That tells the reader that long ā is in use.

praṇām

c.smith
16 April 2011, 01:32 AM
Hari Om Eric!

Being a devotee of Siva, I use a rudraksha mala. Not only do I feel that it helps with counting japa but I feel a "spiritual connection" with it and often feel like I want to chant more as a result.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Arjuni
16 April 2011, 07:19 AM
Namasté,

I have a yellow agate mālā of smooth, small round beads, and use it for japa though it would be better suited for wearing. Like C. Smith, I feel a connection with mine and sometimes wish to chant longer with it; it feels lovely on my fingertips, and I often smile when I pick it up. (I imagine the stone may also be involved in that feeling, since yellow agate is energizing, invigorating, protective.)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya

Elizabeth108
26 April 2011, 05:54 PM
Hi,

I am attaching a picture of my mala. :)
This is what I use when I do japa (Om Namah Shivaya).

Sādhaka
26 April 2011, 10:50 PM
Namaste,

I use a japa bracelet that's similar to:
https://www.yogabasics.com/japamalabeads/shop/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/MalaBeads_10_03.jpg

But the ones with pearls and Rudraksha. :)

OM

Ramakrishna
26 April 2011, 11:43 PM
Namaste,

I use a 108 bead rudraksha mala from the Himalayan Academy that looks exactly the same as Elizabeth's.

Jai Sri Ram

Eastern Mind
27 April 2011, 06:48 AM
Namaste,

I use a 108 bead rudraksha mala from the Himalayan Academy that looks exactly the same as Elizabeth's.

Jai Sri Ram

Vannakkam Ramakrishna et al: The HA ones are quite popular as the source is so very well known, and documented. For those who've never seen a rudraksha tree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrR9CeVn9q4

Aum Namasivaya