PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Non-Hindu Organization Classification....

Believer
15 September 2010, 06:12 PM
In today's climate, it is to the advantage of any religious organization in India to be classified as non-Hindu. Rama Krishan Mission has many temples, schools, libraries and social service centers in India. If it was classified as a Hindu organization, all their assets would be placed under a board of trustees appointed by the State/Federal Government. These trustees (who would consist of followers of Rama Krishan sampradaye, generic secular Hindus, Muslims and Christians) would decide how the funds would be used. Some would be used for the maintenance of the Rama Krishan Mission buildings and activities; but a large part would be siphoned off for the renovation of mosques and for subsidizing the Hajj pilgrimage for Muslims. Although that was not the intent of the donors, they have absolutely no say in how the funds are used. I believe, EM had posted a link to such arrangement somewhere in the forum. About thirty years ago, when Rama Krishan Mission management saw this coming, they formally filed papers, renouncing their Hindu affiliation. This has saved them from losing control of their schools and centers, and ensured their survival and the continuation of their service to the community. I often wonder what other sampradayes have followed the same route to ward off this Govt. take-over of the management of their assets. Who all have distanced themselves from Hinduism via alteration of their religious practices or through the literature put out by their sampradaye or a combination thereof; just so they can stay independent. Anyone have insight into this?

It is utterly shameful that Hindus are not allowed to run Hindu organizations in their own land.

Eastern Mind
15 September 2010, 06:31 PM
Vannakkam Believer: Yes its shameful. The RK Mission decision was reversed.

http://www.hvk.org/articles/0696/0015.html

In the guise of getting along, Hindus get discriminated against by the secular. It is not a new thing, but until Hindus of India stand up, there is little one can do besides cast a ballot for someone who opposes it. I suppose many organisations could put their funds underground, but this might lend to corruption from within. I'm not very familiar with it. Canada is a long way from India. But that's why I won't put money in a Hundi in a government controlled temple. I pay enough taxes in my own country.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
15 September 2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you EMji for the above link. However, I was looking for another one that you provided few days back about the Indian Govt. takeover of Hindu institutions.

PARAM
16 September 2010, 09:02 AM
I think this is one of the reason why ISCKON did not want to be marked as Hindu organisation.