PDA

View Full Version : What has Hinduism given to mankind?

Alise
16 September 2010, 05:04 PM
Namaste,

I, being person who really doesn't like when hateful stuff is written [or anything else] about things/people/etc. dear to me, wrote to one christian site, which criticized religions including Hinduism. It's rude & ignorant site. Anyway I wrote, how I said that they should first look into their religion & only then criticize others & stated why I believed they should just read more about Hinduism before judging & so. [I'm hothead when it comes to dear family, religion or anything else]. He replied that I fulfilled scripture & the verse. Obviously I replied that not everyone believe in Bible as THE scripture.
Anyway, I have so much to learn :( Today I even got really annoyed in the bookstore, because in there are absolutely NO books in latvian about Hinduism. [not counting 'world religions' books] How can I start to be more tolerant & so on as Hindu should be?

Anyway... I was really nice but asked proof other than bible for Jesus... He said that I should pray for Jesus & he'll come. But as I was 2 weeks away & with person who told these stories about christianity, I understood that God actually in every religion is the same, people interpreting it differently has different experience.

And so very long intro... BUT... Today I look into my e-mail & here's what I received:

You say that Hinduism is way older so it must be correct? Paganism has been around for a long time. Why not look at the results of hinduism such as India. What has hinduism ever done that was good for mankind? Nothing. At least you are young and dumb and have time to wakeup.
I didn't understand his point about paganism. Did he meant that paganism is proven to be older than Hinduism? How old is Hinduism? Sanathana Dharma is eternal...
So here are things I can think of:

ayurveda
yoga
meditation
numbers & zero
vedic astrology
Vedas
Upanishadas

+India before British & muslim rule was very rich & developed sub-continent. [or am I wrong?] Surgery was done way before europeans did it. Pythagorus theorem was way before Pythagorus. And sanskrit is said to be mother of all languages [at least european...]. Ok I'm not sure about these...

And one of reason why I like Hinduism is because it's oldest living religion, after all why would really God change mind how people should act and what should believe?

So real reason why I made this thread is 'What has Hinduism given to mankind?'

Sorry for anything grammatically incorrect & I apologize for my hotheaded behavior...

And that person was really nice to call me dumb, sometimes I actually feel so, but I'm not... I'm actually really smart...

Have a nice day,
~Alice

P.S. Oh & I must say that I think India is very beautiful... I mean really... I have seen it only in pictures but hey - everything has bad & good side, right?

Eastern Mind
16 September 2010, 05:32 PM
Vannakkam SA:

If only these poor people would realise such ridiculous claims only strengthens the Hindu's resolve. Maybe then they would back off. Another thing that Hindusim has given is the concept of ahimsa. Truly if man is going to ever stop killing man (let alone other beings), then ahimsa is the way. If our planet is going to continue as a place in the iniverse for souls to evolve, ahimsa seems rather obvious.

There is a ton of other stuff beyond your basic list, but it must be hard to see from under the cover of anava.

Surely there may be a few agnostics there. That at least is one huge step forward beyond the people you describe. There is no point listening to some fool babble on regurgitating what other brainwashers have said.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
16 September 2010, 05:59 PM
What has Hinduism given to mankind? Hinduism has given Hinduism, that's the greatest gift there is.

*Please, read this website. There are tons of facts to be a proud Hindu for: http://www.hinduwisdom.info/index.htm

*Please, read this article about radical universalism to understand who is a Hindu, what's a Hindu and how Hinduism is unique from other religions: http://www.dharmacentral.com/universalism.htm

kallol
16 September 2010, 11:27 PM
Dear SA,

We are not here to compete with other religions. People get fit into what they feel comfortable. So we are not here either to convert others also.

Hinduism is for self growth in the path of spirituality. We can discuss to clear our understanding of the subject and apply it to ourselves and not to others.

Let that clarity be there.

Ofcourse if you want to know what Hinduism has given to the world for your knowledge then there are plenty of sites dealing with yoga, auyurveda, astronomy, astrology, astro-physics, science, mathematics, politics, social harmony, we as part of ecology, knowledge of God, etc. This is the Dharma which gave birth to the other great religion like Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and all of them live together peacefully. This is one Dharma which is inclusive.

This is the only democratic religion (if you want to term it like that) in the world (amongst major religions).

India was the superpower in terms of knowledge, wealth and society till the advent of muslim and then British.

Love and best wishes

Love and best wishes

Alise
17 September 2010, 04:11 AM
Namaste,

I never claimed to him or said that Hinduism's only religion. I actually were just really offended about what he wrote about Hinduism on his site, so I wrote to him, that I respect his religion but he should not criticize other religions while his religion is as flawed as any other. [And I asked for proof for his claim from anything but Bible...]. That was time a go & now that he wrote to me again & made such claim that India shows how bad Hinduism is to mankind, I felt more offended.
I think Hinduism gave to world so much that people from other faiths just doesn't want to admit ir. Have you noticed how various things of Hinduism becomes famous? [yoga, ayurveda, karma, reincarnation & meditation etc.] That shows that God stands for Hinduism (not meant here as God's only religion).
I'm not sure if I'll reply to his message.
Here is last part of the letter when I first wrote to him:

You don't need Hinduism to be happy but you should learn to tolerate other beliefs. Remember not everyone believe what Bible says is true, so using Bible for proving Jesus is God is like using Cinderella fairy tale to prove that exact Cinderella existed :)
God bless you & hope you find the truth [that tolerance is way better than finding little stains in others while you have big] & if you want me to send you links to show how Christianity is bad religion, I'll give ya links. Work on your religion & only after it's perfect in everyone else's eyes not try to 'save' others from religions dear for them. Person's morals are not less if he's hindu than in christianity. God, if he exists [I'm not atheist, I believe in God & his name is Shiva], will be happy for persons who try to change world for good not critize everyone. Indians in India is not best way to understand. Hinduism you know. India is not only country & indians are not only people who practice Hinduism.

Love & Peace.

I'm sorry for my attitude, I wrote this letter like I was as bad as him. [Maybe I am but that's different story]

Yeah, this thread is not really good example of how hindus react to everything [or how they should]. You know I was thinking, Hinduism is really gift to mankind & I remember when I was like that person maintaining that site. Now it's different, I know Hinduism is right path for me, 'cause Sanathana Dharma helps me grow, slowly but I do. I don't need proof that Jesus was God, he is God for many wonderful people & they don't judge me for being Hindu, everyone has path to follow. And you know what? Hinduism helps you to open your eyes & see your mistakes and see how life is actually really fair, wonderful & perfect God's creation.

Have a nice day,
~Alice

satay
17 September 2010, 09:25 AM
Admin Note

Thread under review.