PDA

View Full Version : Gandhi Diet

Eric11235
17 September 2010, 08:49 AM
Vannakam

Recently in my studies, I happened upon the "Gandhi Diet". This diet appeals to me. Has anyone tried this diet? And if you have, how has it turned out for you? I read that it is a rather healthy and complete diet. So if anyone has more information (either from personal experience or other) it would be greatly appreciated.

Namaste

Eastern Mind
17 September 2010, 12:47 PM
Vannakkam Eric.: Can you please post a link so we know what it is. I guess I'm justr a sad sorry lazy old man not willing to seach for myself. Thanks.

Aum Namasivaya

Eric11235
20 September 2010, 08:32 AM
Vannakam,

Sure, I could only find an actual list version on Wikipedia, but I've verified elsewhere that this is the actual diet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmacharya

Namaste

Jainarayan
11 September 2012, 01:46 PM
Namaste.

I know this thread is almost 2 years old, but I stumbled on it in looking at the "Gandhi Diet". I'm glad I don't have to clutter the site up with my own thread on it.

1 litre of cow or goat milk
170 g cereals
85 g leafy vegetables
140 g other vegetables
30 g raw vegetables
40 g ghee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee)
60 g butter
and 40 g jaggery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery) or sugar
fruits according to one's taste and purse
2 sour limes (juice taken with vegetables or in water, cold or hot)
salt according to tasteConverting to English measurements from that accursed metric :p I come up with equivalents of

1 quart (32 oz.) of cow or goat milk = 29 g of protein
6 oz. cereals = 6 g of protein
3 oz leafy vegetables
5 oz. other vegetables
1 oz. raw vegetables
1.5 oz. ghee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee)
2 oz. butter
and 1 oz. jaggery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery) or sugar
fruits according to one's taste and purse
2 sour limes (juice taken with vegetables or in water, cold or hot)
salt according to tasteIt is basically a very spartan diet, except that most of the calories are coming from fat. The macros work out to be (courtesy of entries in a fitday.com food log):

Calories 1,883
Fat 58%
Carbohydrate 33%
Protein 9%

I am curious about it too, for a couple of reasons:

1. No legumes?

2. 6 oz. of cereal is 3/4 cup of rice or oatmeal; 4 or 5 slices of whole grain bread, or some combination of these adding up to 6 oz.

3. I'd rather use honey than jaggery. Though both are pure sugar, honey has some beneficial properties over jaggery.

4. I'd replace most of the fat from the butter, ghee and milk with a higher protein and carbohydrate source (mainly from more vegs.).

McKitty
11 September 2012, 03:22 PM
Vanakkam,

Namaste.
Converting to English measurements from that accursed metric :p

Hey I can hea...Well read you ! :D

Calories 1,883
Fat 58%
Carbohydrate 33%
Protein 9%

There is nothing wrong with the calories (2000/day for a man, little less for a woman) But SO MUCH FAT O__O Over the time this can't be good at all for the heart and the veins, even with regular exercice !
(not talking about becoming fat, talking more about the consequences of too much fat on blood and organs)

Aum Namah Shivaya

Jainarayan
11 September 2012, 03:38 PM
Namaste.

Yes, the calories do look fine. I've done straight ketogenic and cyclic ketogenic diets (CKD), with ratios of 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs (coming from vegs). The problem isn't the fat, it's fat in the presence of moderate to high carbs. Fat+carbs=trouble. I might work something out using this as a basis, but replacing the fat with more protein (whey, tofu, non- or low fat milk and cheese). It really does look like simple portion control.

Viraja
07 May 2013, 09:55 AM
These days I am dieting and exercising pretty vigorously to lose weight.

In my search through the internet, I've found the following foods (vegetarian) to not be good for dieters, besides the obviously fatty butter, ghee and oil based foods:

Coffee
Sugar
Excess of soy milk or soy based products (supposed to suppress Thyroid function leading to weight gain)
Potatoes
White Rice
Pasta/boxed cereal
Bananas
Any food containing a mix of Carbohydrates and fats

And the following foods are deemed good for dieters:

Brown rice
Cinnamon
Vitamin C pills
Apples (1 a day)
Green Tea

philosoraptor
07 May 2013, 04:53 PM
Vannakam

Recently in my studies, I happened upon the "Gandhi Diet". This diet appeals to me. Has anyone tried this diet? And if you have, how has it turned out for you? I read that it is a rather healthy and complete diet. So if anyone has more information (either from personal experience or other) it would be greatly appreciated.

You mean a complete fast to protest whenever someone in some part of the world is is perpetrating violence against someone else? Yeah, you'll lose a lot of weight with that one....

:-)

shiv.somashekhar
08 May 2013, 12:54 PM
These days I am dieting and exercising pretty vigorously to lose weight.

In my search through the internet, I've found the following foods (vegetarian) to not be good for dieters, besides the obviously fatty butter, ghee and oil based foods:

Coffee
Sugar
Excess of soy milk or soy based products (supposed to suppress Thyroid function leading to weight gain)
Potatoes
White Rice
Pasta/boxed cereal
Bananas
Any food containing a mix of Carbohydrates and fats

And the following foods are deemed good for dieters:

Brown rice
Cinnamon
Vitamin C pills
Apples (1 a day)
Green Tea

Add white vinegar (apple cider, etc) to the list of good foods for weight loss. Two teaspoons mixed with water, every night.

Eastern Mind
08 May 2013, 01:41 PM
Vannakkam: Boss and I each lost about 20 pounds in the 3 months in Mauritus, and it sure wasn't for lack of food. If anyone has experienced South African, or Mauritius 'hospitality', you now what I mean. I'm thinking maybe the two swims a day had something to do with it.

Aum Namasivaya

Viraja
08 May 2013, 03:39 PM
Add white vinegar (apple cider, etc) to the list of good foods for weight loss. Two teaspoons mixed with water, every night.

Thank you for the good tip! :)

@EMji,

It definitely must be the exercise! They say swimming does burn more calories than walking! (I wish I knew how to swim..).