PDA

View Full Version : Intertwined Karma

eriko
22 September 2010, 02:20 AM
Alright, there is a problem. It seems that my father and I had a very strong connection in our past life since we always go through the bad and the good at the same time respectively. And this doesn't seem like a coincidence.

So anyways he is having a rough phase in his life, and so am I though not as rough as him. And I believe that if I set my things right, his would settle out by itself. I mean this connections seriously needs to be two ways. So...

Eastern Mind
22 September 2010, 06:54 AM
Vannakkam eriko:

I believe you probably have it right on both counts. Reincarnation patterns often stay within families, and 'connected' people are often on the same wavelength. Spouses and family members often have this sixth sense of when something is wrong, or right, for that matter. So indeed working within yourself to lessen the karmic burden should help him.

In the Murugan penance called kavadi, often the kavadi bearer is consciously doing the penance for the whole family, as they walk alongside giving support.

Aum Namasivaya

eriko
01 October 2010, 02:19 AM
Namaste Uncle,

I am sorry that It tok me so long to reply. But I didn't understand this part:

In the Murugan penance called kavadi, often the kavadi bearer is consciously doing the penance for the whole family, as they walk alongside giving support.

What is Kavadi?

Eastern Mind
01 October 2010, 06:22 AM
Vannakkam Eriko:

Kavadi is a penance in the South to Kartikeya (as Murugan is known in the north) It is done to atone for 'sins' (karma clearance), to prepare for upcoming trials in life, or to clear out the path when impending doom is foreseen. It can vary from carrying a milk pot to rolling around the temple to more elaborate skin piercing stuff. Here is a link to more info:

http://www.answers.com/topic/thaipusam

So lets say an older man recalls a childhood misdeed like beating a school mate, or a petty theft, but he is too old to do any serious kavadi. He may ask his son to fulfill a vow for him, and the son will do the kavadi penance on his behalf. That would be a simple example of how this would work.

Aum Namasivaya

dogra
02 October 2010, 02:33 PM
Here is a discourse where i found some good and thought provoking points were made:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbasiannetwork/F4154526?thread=7761283&latest=1#p101419500
Post 109, in particular

Case of handicapped person, and the law of Karma, is it poisonous to the person being handicapped and hence suffering?
Can be difficult as we do not know the bad deeds of the past of the handicapped person, so neither can the handicapped person, so if they are told this how will this make them feel.
Sanatan dharma teaches to practice humanity e.g. through Karma Yoga,, but this Karma concept needs more explaining, and if someone can explain it would be appreciated.

sanjaya
12 October 2010, 04:31 PM
Eriko, how do you know that you and you father had any connection in your past life? Honest question, because I've always wondered about this.

eriko
15 October 2010, 04:30 AM
Because we always go through the bad times together. And the situation is identical. I wouldn't say that my father and I were related in the past. The fact is if one is not fine, the other is also not fine. So maybe if one does something good, the other too will get the benefit as well.

As for the past life connection, I really don't know and then it doesn't really matter anyway.

Eastern Mind
15 October 2010, 06:30 AM
Vannakkam eriko: But many saints and regulars do believe that people often do reincarnate into the same family groups over and over again. Spouses may reincarnate together etc. So from that view, there is a good chance you and father are connected karmically that way. If you sense it in a strong way, why cast intellectual doubt on that inner feeling? Of course there is no way of knowing for sure, unless a mystic who can actually read past lives tells you. Just from what you said, and how you said it, I believe it!

I also happen to thing many of us here on HDF probably have some sort of past connections. Things don't happen just by accident. There is order in this chaos.

Aum Namasivaya

eriko
17 October 2010, 02:40 AM
Namaste EM Uncle,

I see. But then sometimes when you try to think about something you aren't really sure if this is the truth? And frankly it happens many times with me. But I guess you are right 'there is some order in this chaos'. I will remember this.

Eastern Mind
17 October 2010, 08:42 AM
And frankly it happens many times with me.

Vannakkam eriko: And this is how faith develops. It is like memorization, or athletic drills, except in those cases the 'many times' bit is done consciously. I had a volleyball manual once that ended each drill (routine of a certain specific practise) with the sentence, "Repeat many times."

I think I've told this one before, but it is also how we develop trust or faith in a teacher, a Guru, or a friend's words. They tell you something and it happens. Over and over again. Eventually, we are programmed like Pavlov's dog to not have to wait for it to happen before we believe.

Of course, in immediate lives, connections like this exist, because of the subtle nervous system we are all so unaware of, especially between spouses. "I thought you were feeling ill today."

Aum Namasivaya

eriko
21 October 2010, 10:01 AM
I think I've told this one before, but it is also how we develop trust or faith in a teacher, a Guru, or a friend's words. They tell you something and it happens. Over and over again. Eventually, we are programmed like Pavlov's dog to not have to wait for it to happen before we believe.

Of course, in immediate lives, connections like this exist, because of the subtle nervous system we are all so unaware of, especially between spouses. "I thought you were feeling ill today."

I don't know, my main confusion is do things exist because we believe them to be or they really exist. I mean you want something, and the next moment you have it, but suppose you didn't want it in the first place then what?

I read a newspaper report that people who love each other get psychologically linked to the level they read each other's thoughts. I mean they say the same stuff, cause they get influenced through some mental link.

And it made sense, it happens with my parents all the time. I once said to my Dad, "It doesn't matter if I should ask you something when I have already asked Ma, since you are going to answer the same."