PDA

View Full Version : Changing times

Eastern Mind
30 September 2010, 05:25 PM
Vannakkam: Watching another thread, I was pondering how fast things change. I was wondering if teachings of some of our sages would change if they were alive today, given the different surroundings and state of the world. Or would they be saying the same thing? I know much of what Tiruvalluvar (2000 year old ethical Tamil Saint) said applies today, especially if you change some of the small things like the advice to kings (He lived at the time of kingdoms politically) to advice to politicians. Ramakrishna and Vivekenanda and others missed observing 2 world wars, India's Independence, the technological explosion, nuclear weaponry, and massive emigration from India to far off lands.

One clue is how younger swamis teach today. They carry cell phones, are tech-savvy and can speak with a devotee on the other side of the planet, provided the organisation is small enough. Large groups of people can now follow particular holy men, whereas just 50 to 100 years ago, that would have been much harder. They can relate to our youth better simply because they are young. Many recognize the difficulty of growing up in today's world as they themselves had to do it. Still we have people joining the sadhu or renunciate path in search of God-realisation.

Things like corporal punishment are disappearing as research indicates over and over how it doesn't work. Cigarettes were promoted as healthy things only 60 years back or less.

Do we have a generation gap on HDF?

Just rambling away.. Aum namasivaya

Shanti
30 September 2010, 06:04 PM
Interesting thoughts EM, I do think some of the teachings may be a bit different but that the basics would nevertheless be the same. I think that various 'tech savvy' methods are being more utilized now. Some swami's (well rather those that are within the swami's mission) are posting lectures on youtube, various organizations have facebook sites, some send out weekly emails, etc.

Since there are so many methods to reach people worldwide as opposed to just locally, if some of our sages were around today I'm sure that there would certainly be more effort put forth towards making sure there were suitable translations, etc. And given that so many Indian Hindu youth are straying away from their traditions, I bet more effort would be made to make the teachings more readily available and easier for our kali yug minds to wrap our heads around.

As far as the generation gap, perhaps in some ways there are but in my experience as a first generation Indian American, it seems to me that my parents and other parents of first gen'ers I know were taught very 'colonialized' thinking towards Hinduism. So this generation gap regarding technology has actually worked in this somewhat younger generation's favor.

I'm not sure if I'm even making sense right now, I'll go and try to reorganize my thoughts!

Eastern Mind
30 September 2010, 06:22 PM
As far as the generation gap, perhaps in some ways there are but in my experience as a first generation Indian American, it seems to me that my parents and other parents of first gen'ers I know were taught very 'colonialized' thinking towards Hinduism. So this generation gap regarding technology has actually worked in this somewhat younger generation's favor.

Vannakkam Shanti: This makes sense to me if I am interpreting it right. Because of things like the internet, you have more access to a wider teaching of Hinduism that your parent's localized way they brought from India, which has helped you understand Hinduism in a much wider way than they could have ever learned it.

Here is another link regarding the corporal punishment issue.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1895495,00.html

I don't mean to put this out there as a criticism, but rather as an aspect of the generation gap. I used to teach, and used corporal punishment myself for the first three or four years I taught. (about 30 years ago) I can definitely say one thing and that is that IT DOES NOT WORK! But when I dealt with parents on the issue, it seemed that the older the parents were, the more likely they were to support it. My Tamil friends my age and older use to yank their kids around by the ears, but now I never see that with the second generation people.

My observation is that with the Indian and Hindu immigrants here in Canada, the generation gap is more like the one I experienced in the 60s with my parents, in that it is really quite the gap, and it causes lots of communication problems. I am lucky in that I can talk to both sides, and the Tamil 20 to 30 somethings can tell me stuff they would never tell their parents because there is less of a gap.

Maybe in a while this thread can get focused, as I'm jumping around too.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
30 September 2010, 06:41 PM
You know, I don't think a day goes by that some situation doesn't remind me of some words of wisdom I read in the Thirukkural. Every single day something he said relates to something for me.

I was raised on the first computers, we have three in our home...and one multi function IPAQ I bought for my beloved husband's birthday this year.

Most of my reading is digital even though I collect antique books for my hobby. So some of us on here kinda straddle the old fashioned ways and the new with a very happy enthusiasm.

We actually follow several wise Hindu gurus on Facebook and it's a blessing to read their posts.

I think there is wisdom to be found in both methods and ways. Though I am not forty yet so I suppose I shouldn't be considered "Old"...my kids still think I am very cool.

As far as spanking....I follow the rules of this country. First offense, a strong lecture and extra duty in the house. Second offense...another talk, more duty and I remove one of their priviledges. Third they get talked to and lose everything and they become my "little helper" which means they have to follow me and help me with daily chores...during this time they get more talks. Fourth...well...they rarely get to four...because three is such hell.:p

In this country it's three strikes and you're out with many offenses. So my children will be very used to obeying rules by the time they reach adulthood.

Now, that's not to say they aren't rewarded. Good behavior can redeem certain offenses...and time served can get them to a special activity like football game.

Each child has a currency...you just have to know your child well enough to use it during such times. My one child loves going to the pool in our community...so if he gets a bad grade, he loses a week at the pool. One child loves to talk on the phone for an hour in the afternoon. So that's what he loses.

Eastern Mind
30 September 2010, 06:57 PM
Vannakkam Naya: Our two countries have different rules as you can see here.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/spankin2.htm

I tend to think globally and pity the children in the places where it is commonplace. But because of previous times when you've shared info on your physical stature, if I was your kid, and I was a bad boy, I'd be rather intimidated. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

I feel duty bound to promote ahimsa in the homes of the world whenever possible.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
30 September 2010, 07:05 PM
The problem is I have six boys and my three oldest are over 6 feet tall. Yes, at 14, 15 and 18...those boys are 6 ft+

My 14 year old is now many inches taller than me.

The best thing I have in my arsenal is my intelligence. Oh I know I am a fool when it comes to the wise folks on this forum...but I have a FBI agent's brain. I can figure out who's lying in very little time.

I also have an amazing intuition that has never failed me. So my son's are fearful of me not for my tall football player build...but my inate ability to get them to spill their beans.:p

And that's the thing about spanking. You hit your kid and what good will it do when they get 6ft + and towering over you? Who's gonna win that fight? The bullied becomes the bully.

They have to respect you...it takes a level head and a judge like ability to be impartial and study the evidence.

If a child complains that he is being judged unfairly...I tell him..."Look all it would take is two witnesses and you'd be serving life for murder...and all we've accused you of is borrowing your brother's bike and we have three witnesses." :rolleyes:

Guilty!:P