PDA

View Full Version : Best Language to Study...

iso1truth
03 October 2010, 04:36 PM
If I were interested in studying the actual texts important in Advaita, should I be looking to study sanskrit, hindi? or something else entirely?

upasaka
04 October 2010, 12:24 PM
If I were interested in studying the actual texts important in Advaita, should I be looking to study sanskrit, hindi? or something else entirely?

I think Sanskrit is the language you probably want to focus on. I am sure most of those texts are available in Hindi and other languages, but they probably were all first composed in Sanskrit.

Sahasranama
04 October 2010, 12:57 PM
Either Sanskrit or Hindi. Sanskrit is best, it's the language all the scriptures were written in. But there's also a lot available in Hindi. If you have an Indian background, you might want to learn Hindi, Tamil or another Indian language, because that will be very easy if you already understand the lanuage a little bit from your parents. If you are a westerner, you might as well start learning Sanskrit right away. Eventually an understanding of Sanskrit is necessary to understand the scriptures.

iso1truth
04 October 2010, 08:10 PM
and how about materials from Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Neem Karoli, and the likes? These would be in Tamil or Hindi? And would an understanding of sanskrit greatly assist in the understanding of Tamail or Hindi?

kallol
04 October 2010, 11:23 PM
As these books are available in many languages, I would prefer that one start studying these books in the languages they are comfortable. This will save time and straight way start forming the mind.

Sanskrit was the language which was used to contain erosion of the ageless wisdom which till that time was by word of mouth. By the time the knowledge was put in writing much of the upanishads and other knowledge areas were lost.

Again Sanskrit is relatively a new language, may be around 2000 yrs old.

So the actual knowledge discovered or realised long back which had different language.

Now all the gurus communicate in english and much of the discourses are also in english.

So knowledge wise no language would be inferior to anyone.

Neither the scriptures should be studied without guide / guru. It would be like a class 3 boy studing Relativity.

Main part is to choose the interpretation which might fit you. As the interpretation of the same text varied with the different gurus, they tend to lead to different conclusion. However as the mind matures, it slowly chooses the highest interpretation.

Ofcourse if you want to study the sacred scriptures in original form, sanskrit much be the right language.

Love and best wishes

kd gupta
04 October 2010, 11:53 PM
PL download Manusmriti in sanskrit with english translation from Esnips , it will make easy to understand the language .

TatTvamAsi
05 October 2010, 12:07 AM
The real question boils down to this: do you want to "read" or "study" the scriptures?

Once you have answered that, the answer is axiomatic; Sanskrit for the latter and English for the former. Hindi is an amalgam of various languages similar to English.

Sanskrit and Tamil are classical languages of India.

Tamizh (some say "TamiL") is perhaps one of the most difficult languages to learn properly; only outdone by Sanskrit IMO. There are many beautiful Tamil scriptures and even non-theistic ones. Yet, I think the barrier to entry is far too high. If you are of a keen intellect, I suppose you could take it on.

Namaskar.

Sahasranama
05 October 2010, 04:22 AM
difficulty depends...

If you have an indian background and already know an Indian language, then Sanskrit is much easier to learn than Russian or Chinese for example. If you have a background in classical languages like ancient Greek or Latin, then the study of Sanskrit becomes a little bit easier.

Onkara
05 October 2010, 08:14 AM

Hello Iso1truth
Sanskrit is useful in my opinion, as most commentaries by Sri Adi Shankara are based on the Sanskrit words. For example most commentary on the Bhagavad Gita hinges on Sanskrit, and any comfort with Sanskrit might allow improved rewards from study.

I read most in English. Recently I have started to learn Sanskrit in earnest. There are English translations of Nisargadatta Maharaj's talks, you can find these online.

I do have a question for others, is Tamil of the scriptures very different to modern Tamil? I ask as it might be advantageous to learn Tamil over Sanskrit given that it is spoken by people living outside of Sri Lanka (or India) today.

yajvan
05 October 2010, 07:11 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Sanskrit is considered saṃskṛtam, and properly viewed as saṃskṛtā ( some write saṃskṛta). saṃskṛta संस्कृत can be viewed as sáṃ-skṛta - put together , constructed , well or completely formed , perfected ; refined , adorned , ornamented , polished , highly elaborated.

For me my desire lies not so much in the speech of the language but of its etymology and roots of all the wonderful words that compose the śāstra-s. The devatā ( cosmic impulses of nature) reside within and between these words say the wise. To know the devatā one is compelled to know ( in part) saṃskṛtā or saṃskṛta-bhāṣā or refined speech, vāk or vāc.

Keep in mind there is vedic saṃskṛtā and classical saṃskṛtā.

praṇām

iso1truth
06 October 2010, 10:15 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments. My primary purpose is to study vs read. I believe that points to Sanskrit as the first one to learn. I have no Indian heritage in this lifetime, so it will be a fresh start. Thank you all again for taking the time to help me sort this out. Best wishes for all.

Elizabeth108
09 October 2010, 01:14 PM
and how about materials from Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj, Neem Karoli, and the likes? These would be in Tamil or Hindi? And would an understanding of sanskrit greatly assist in the understanding of Tamail or Hindi?

As for Ramana Maharshi, His words were noted down in Tamil origially, if I'm not mistaken. This is the reason why I have made up my mind to begin to learn Tamil. (I have no Indian background in this life of mine.)

If You decide to learn Tamil, I'd be glad to keep in touch...having a common purpose (Tamil learning).

Greetings,
Elizabeth

Onkara
10 October 2010, 04:49 AM
Good luck Elizabeth!
Your English is good, I wonder if you have read "I Am That" in English and if so would be interested to explore your thoughts from this great work in another post. If the desire arises :)

Elizabeth108
10 October 2010, 02:13 PM
Good luck Elizabeth!
Your English is good, I wonder if you have read "I Am That" in English and if so would be interested to explore your thoughts from this great work in another post. If the desire arises :)

Hi Snip,

Isn't 'I Am That' a work by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj? As I have read that one in Hungarian so far. But I am also interested in having a discussion about it... :)

ScottMalaysia
11 October 2010, 05:17 AM
You should learn Sanskrit. Sanskrit is the language of all the classic Hindu scriptures - Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, Itihasas (Ramayana and Mahabharata) etc. That would be the best. Also, if temple services in your area are conducted in a certain language (e.g. Hindi or Gujarati) then it might be an idea to learn some of that language as well.

Tamizh (some say "TamiL") is perhaps one of the most difficult languages to learn properly; only outdone by Sanskrit IMO.

I have studied some colloquial Tamil, and I understand what you mean. It is a very difficult language. Not to mention the fact that the colloquial language is quite different from the formal/written language (case endings etc).

By the way, I have no idea where using the 'zh' for the letter ழ comes from. It is a retroflex 'l' sound. My mother-in-law, who is a native Tamil speaker, was bewildered when I showed her a book with the 'zh' transliteration; she confirmed that it was an 'l' sound.

kahanam
27 November 2010, 01:32 AM
As for Ramana Maharshi, His words were noted down in Tamil origially, if I'm not mistaken. This is the reason why I have made up my mind to begin to learn Tamil. (I have no Indian background in this life of mine.)

If You decide to learn Tamil, I'd be glad to keep in touch...having a common purpose (Tamil learning).

Greetings,
Elizabeth

Best wishes in your efforts to study Tamil. Tamil and Samskrit are great languages in which works on Sanatana Dharma abound. English translations for many useful works have been published.
http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/teachings.html#
:) :) :)