PDA

View Full Version : Periyar Ramasami

Believer
04 October 2010, 05:42 PM
The name of EV Ramasami (EVR) is little known outside of South India. He set out to improve the lot of Tamil Dalits. But the way he went about doing it was rather unusual, to say the least. To him, the social order of Hinduism was the source of all social ills. So, he worked tirelessly to shred Hinduism to pieces. As his movement gathered momentum, the political arm of his followers captured control of the state government machinery. This led to the almost total elimination of non-Dalits (mainly Brahmins) from the Govt jobs, from award of Govt contracts and from admission to universities. Here are some of his doings,

1. He saw Islam and Christianity as religions devoid of caste system and encouraged Dalit conversions into these religions – that did not however change their social standing as lower caste converts to Christianity continue to have separate churches and lower caste converts into Islam do not get socially, anywhere close to the well off ones.

2. In order to denigrate the Hindu deities, he would arrange for their processions through various towns with a garland of old/used shoes around their necks.

3. Few years back, when some Hindus attempted to celebrate Dussehara by burning an effigy of Ravan, his followers threatened to counter by burning an effigy of Lord Ram. So the whole idea was dropped.

4. He even embraced communism for its professed belief in equality of all men and for its lack of belief in God. So enamored were his followers with this concept, that one of them even named his son Stalin (the current mayor of Chennai).

5. The Ram Setu bridge which was used by Shri Ram and his army to cross over to Sri Lanka to fight Ravan, is sacred to Hindus. When the issue of deepening the ocean channel by removing this bridge came up, the Hindus opposed it as desecration of something sacred to them. But the Tamilnadu Govt. led by EVR’s supporters questioned the very basis of Bhagwan Ram having ever existed and favored the destruction of the bridge.

6. A whole generation of Tamils have grown up hearing the ruling politicians (EVR followers) denounce Hinduism as something evil and outdated, which does not merit any place in a man’s life.

Questions to HDF members in/from Tamilnadu: With the quota system for Dalits imposed in all walks of life, what is the current ground reality? Does the anger towards the Brahmins still continue? Does a Brahmin have to hide his religious identity in order to be considered for Govt jobs and admission to a university? Just curious how this godless society is working out.

kd gupta
05 October 2010, 12:13 AM
Namaste Believerji

Krsn made a mockery of Arjun

Ashochyaan anvashochastwam prajnaavaadaamshcha bhaashase;
Gataasoon agataasoomshcha naanushochanti panditaah.

Thou hast grieved for those that should not be grieved for, yet thou speakest words of
Wisdom [ The words of coward , the words of escapism and of course the words of so called Brahmins, as you referred, to misguide these days to a common man ]. The wise grieve neither for the living nor for the dead.
:)

TatTvamAsi
05 October 2010, 02:07 AM
The name of Periyar (respected one) Ramasami is little known outside of South India. He made liberation of the Tamil Dalits, his passion in life. After failing to get attention of the existing social and political elite, he went on a mission to free the lower caste citizens of his state from the social and economic bondage that kept them down. To him, the social order of Hinduism was the source of all social ills. So, he worked tirelessly to shred Hinduism to pieces. As his movement gathered momentum, the political arm of his followers captured control of the state governing machinery. This led to the almost total elimination of non-Dalits (mainly Brahmins) from the Govt jobs, from award of Govt contracts and from admission to universities. Here are some of his accomplishments,

1. He saw Islam and Christianity as religions devoid of caste system and encouraged Dalit conversions into these religions – that did not change their social standing as lower caste converts to Christianity continue to have separate churches and lower caste converts into Islam do not get anywhere socially close to the well off ones.

2. In order to denigrate the Hindu deities, he would arrange for their processions through the town with a garland of old/used shoes around their necks.

3. Few years back, when some Hindus attempted to celebrate Dussehara by burning an effigy of Ravan, his followers threatened to counter by burning an effigy of Lord Ram. So the whole idea was dropped.

4. He even embraced communism for its professed belief in equality of all men and its lack of belief in God. So enamored were his followers with this concept, that one of them even named his son Stalin (the current mayor of Chennai).

5. The Ram Setu bridge which was used by Shri Ram and his army to cross over to Sri Lanka to fight Ravan, is sacred to Hindus. When the issue of deepening the ocean channel by removing this bridge came up, the Hindus opposed it as desecration of something sacred to them. But the Tamilnadu Govt. led by Periyar’s supporters questioned the very basis of Bhagwan Ram having ever existed and favored the destruction of the bridge.

6. A whole generation of Tamils have grown up hearing the ruling politicians (Periyar followers) denounce religion and specially Hinduism as something evil and outdated, which does not merit any place in a man’s life.

Questions to HDF members in/from Tamilnadu: With the quota system for Dalits imposed in all walks of life, what is the current ground reality? Does the anger towards the Brahmins still continue? Does a Brahmin have to hide his religious identity in order to be considered for Govt jobs and admission to a university? Just curious how this godless society is working out.

Namaste Believer,

You bring up a good point and I have struggled to opine on it before and still do. Nonetheless, I shall try.

Periyar was the devil as far as Tamil Brahmins were concerned. My grandfather's generation suffered tremendously under EVR's thuggery and his brain-dead dalit gangs.

A little history is needed about this EV Ramasamy Naicker. He joined the Congress Party (how surprising LOL) and while at some lunch meeting, a version of the story I've heard, Rajaji (a Brahmin), insisted he eat with the "others" while the Brahmins dined in another room. This stung EVR, along with some other similar incidents. This was enough to blow his top and his incessant vitriol and diatribes against Brahmins started. He gathered a large following under the false notion of "rationalism" (sounds like so-called intellectuals around the world today) and became an athiest, only with respect to Hinduism.

It should be noted that once he attained popularity, he had Brahmins helping him all the way while he was spilling his hate towards them. His hordes have committed grave atrocities against the Brahmins of Tamil Nadu; cutting off the top-knot, poonal (yajnopavitam), physical assault, obscene desecration of temples, idols, and pictures of Ram, Krishna, and other deities of Hinduism. Of course, the coward didn't dare urinate on a koran or bible for obvious reasons.

The greatest damage he caused was the ethos of anti-Brahminism in Tamil Nadu for a very long time; some would argue it still continues today but to a much smaller degree. Since these pariahs took control of the Tamil Nadu govt. (karunanidhi and his hordes), anti-Brahminism was rampant for many decades. Brahmins were severely affected with respect to jobs because most Brahmins, before EVR and this anti-Brahmin movement, occupied govt. jobs under the British rule. Since the Brahmins were less than 3% of the Tamil population but occupied 90%+ of the positions, this created great animosity among the dalits. That is how this stupid reservation system came to be. It is in fact all over India now and that is why, I believe, India is still a "3rd world country" so to speak. A dalit needs to get only 30% on his entrance exams while a Brahmin who gets 90% won't get into medical school. To improve India, India must abolish this ridiculous "reservation" system.

I haven't lived in Tamil Nadu for 15 years. Yet, I visit often and of course, many of my relatives still live there. It is apparently much better now. This is mainly because the Brahmins never reacted. It is interesting to note that the most famous media conglomerate in India is SUN Network, owned by Kalanithi Maran, a multi-billionaire, who is the son of a virulent anti-Brahmin named Murasoli Maran. This bastard (best way to describe him), made millions off of one magazine that was entirely anti-Brahmin in nature; Dhinathanthi. Article after article was filled with anti-Brahminism and stories of Brahmin women eloping with dalit men (their wet dreams I guess). Brahmins never countered him or wrote equally nasty articles about them as this would have caused rioting and more trouble for Brahmins than they already faced. Dhinathanthi, I've heard, has really changed its tune (not 100% sure though) and got tired of Brahmin-bashing as it is only fun to beat the **** out of someone if they hit back! ;)

The Tamil movie industry, for a very long time, also was vehemently anti-Brahmin. Many themes revolved around Brahmin women falling in love with non-Brahmin men and Brahmins (mostly men) being trashed and jeered. Tamil Brahmins kept silent and let their accomplishments speak for themselves. All three Nobel laureates from Tamil Nadu are Brahmins. Srinivas Ramanujan was a Tamil Brahmin. There are innumerable saints, musicians, and artists who form the core of Tamil culture who are Brahmin.

Another funny story is that all govt. buses in Tamil Nadu had a picture of Thiruvalluvar (a great Tamil saint). Once the DMK (anti-Hindu party currently in power) found out he was Brahmin, they removed it! LOL!

This anti-Brahminism that EVR started caused many Tamil Brahmins to emigrate to foreign lands (US/UK/Australia etc.) in search of greener pastures. Since America is still largely a meritocracy, Brahmins excelled (and still do) there.

In the recent Tamil World Conference, headed by that Karunanidhi (anti-Brahmin), he is supposed to have recognized the contributions that Tamil Brahmins have made to Tamil culture and language; something unheard of until very recently.

I honestly think Tamil Brahmins have had it the worst in India. North Indian Brahmins thought they were "superior" because they, like idiots, believed in the Aryan Invasion Theory and the majority of Tamil people, who are non-Brahmins, despise all Brahmins. LOL..

Ramana Maharishi was a Tamil Brahmin but since he was enlightened, he made no distinctions. It is sad that the Tamil Nadu govt. is so anti-Hindu and anti-Brahmin because Tamil Nadu is known as the "land of temples".

With regards to admission to universities, I believe it is still deeply anti-Brahmin in nature and govt. jobs are the same; non-Brahmins are given preference. It is also sad that this anti-Hindu govt. controls all the temples from which they steal millions if not billions of rupees.

On a positive note, there are some villages in Tamil Nadu that still revere and respect Brahmins. The Indian villager, in my opinion, represents the pinnacle of humanity; an embodiment of respect, culture, tradition, and compassion. They are confident in their own right without being anti-Brahmin and this is a positive thing for all Indians. In the cities, like Chennai, caste has been relegated to the back-burner except for marriage and admission to universities and govt. jobs.

I was told that in the cities, about 50% of Brahmins are marrying outside of caste; a very sad thing, yet very hard to maintain unless one is knowledgeable about the traditions and their importance/relevance.

Namaskar.

Believer
05 October 2010, 04:07 AM
...... I have struggled to opine on it before and still do. Nonetheless, I shall try.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give such a detailed account of the happenings in TN, and it must have been very painful for you to relive all the atrocities that your family and your group had to live through; and are still suffering under the devilish state Govt.

I understand that the Tamil brahmins took lot of abuse; but we, the Northerners, have never known about this. I came across the contents of my post only recently. It is inexcusable, but there is such poor dissemination of information in India. As the Tamil Brahmins never made an issue of it, I lived right smack in the middle of all this and never had an inkling of what was going on around me.

It is indeed sad to know that the Govt. is stealing millions from the precious old temples, which might be falling in a state of disrepair for lack of funds. I just hope and wish that things change before the traditional Hinduism is wiped out of the state. That would be a big big loss!

Believer
05 October 2010, 04:33 AM
Krsn made a mockery of Arjun

So, you choose to make a mockery of me now? :)

You might be of Lord Krishan's caliber; but I am certainly no Arjun, not even a pale reflection of that mighty warrior.

kd gupta
05 October 2010, 11:55 PM
So, you choose to make a mockery of me now? :)

You might be of Lord Krishan's caliber; but I am certainly no Arjun, not even a pale reflection of that mighty warrior.
Actually when we suffer ?

Sometimes we ourselves become blind when trying to remove other’s blindness . This is from veda loving scripture, satyarth prakash , and you see veda calls Vishnu as yajna purusha .

Q. - Are the Vaishnavites good?
A. ~ Not a bit. They are just as bad as the Shivites. Look at the imposture of the Vaishnavites! They declare themselves to be the servants of Vishnu. Among them Shrivaishnavites also called Chakrangkitas hold themselves to be the best of all, which is altogether absurd.

Also arjun is surprised .

Yadyapyete na pashyanti lobhopahatachetasah;
Kulakshayakritam dosham mitradrohe cha paatakam.
Though they, with intelligence overpowered by greed, see no evil in the destruction of
families, and no sin in hostility to friends,

Pranam

Viraja
01 February 2013, 01:51 PM
This is a great post. OP's list of what Periyar had done makes us all hate his followers. Karunanidhi, Periyar's follower, is on the other hand, said to wear his yellow scarf because as per Jyotish, it is said Jupiter is good for him. And last year, his family did numerous pujas at Kalahasthi and other places using Brahmin priests to bring out Kanimozhi from the 2G-spectrum scandal and imprisonment. Periyar had done lasting damage to the spread of Hindi in TamilNadu too. When I was young, as a result of his movement, Hindi was not even a second language for us to learn, now I'm seeing all my Kannada/Telugu and other Tamil friends who grew up outside of TN speak Hindi so fluently, and I feel the handicap. Conversing in one's native tongue or atleast Hindi, brings the best out of 2 Indian ladies' coversations. Besides it is such a useful language to settle anywhere in India.

Believer
01 February 2013, 04:39 PM
Namaste Viraja,

Thanks for stopping by to give your views. I remember the day that DMK came to power on the promise of making rice available to masses at the rate of one rupee per measure. The day they took over the state administration, they eliminated the teaching of Hindi/Sanskrit from school curriculum and laid off tens of thousands of Hindi teachers all across the state. In my last swing through Chennai 4-5 years back, I still sensed a strong anti-Hindi/North mentality as there was not a single sign in Hindi anywhere in the city. It is unfortunate that the Tamils relocating overseas feel this deficiency in being unable to connect with the general desi population. But it is all per one's karma. Tamil Brahmins must have collectively done something terrible to warrant the wrath of godless people. :)

Pranam.

dogra
06 February 2013, 07:22 AM
This individual then clearly has no knowledge of Hindu scriptures, as if he asked basic questions, then he would realise:
1) Moksha-end game of hindu faith can only occur if one leads a noble life
2) Lord Krishna says:

In sloka (X.20)"I am the Self seated in the heart of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the very end of all beings". All beings have, therefore to be treated alike

Note word ALL.

There is no birth based caste system in Vedas, Varna is by choice and training.
Once reconciliation occurs then doubts disappear and the beauty of Hindu faith shines gloriously through
Our caste is one: HUMAN, our function something else, but there is dignity of labour to all functions e.g.
Rigveda 1.117.21
The King and minister should sow seeds and do farming from time to time to set right examples for Arya. This makes them deserving of praise.
http://agniveer.com/dignity-of-labor/

So how can there be higher and lower, when there is spiritual equality.

As for this Aryan invasion poo poo, this has been slam dunked to the dustbin of human history.

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=740

I am from North India, and do not regard any higher or lower nonsense, we are one!

the_analyzer
07 February 2013, 12:35 AM
Very informative. I can't imagine how people can possibly call themselves rationalists/humanists and still be capable of this (http://www.indianexpress.com/news/tamil-nadu-tense-after-more-instances-of-vandalism/18190/) and this (http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/nov/30statue.htm)and this (http://www.indianexpress.com/news/khairlanji-to-kanpur/17707/). I am not trying to be a brahmin apologist, but something is amiss. I remember some dalit faction leader in maharashtra calling for public brutality and violence against brahmins, for no reason other than being brahmin. I can't seem to find that link. This goes against Dr. Ambedkar's (born into a backward caste and a very famous civil rights activist) own philosophy of promoting anti-brahminism but not being anti-brahmin.

Believer
13 July 2013, 04:27 PM
Namaste,

The anti-Hindu, rationalist leaders of the TN state Govt. have been asking priests of various temples to conduct special pujas to ask gods for rains on the scorched landscape of TN. When it comes to petitioning for material benefits, these atheists become Hindu and want to please the gods with special offerings. What a joke!

Pranam.