PDA

View Full Version : What is the Shiva Lingam?

Elizabeth108
06 October 2010, 11:21 AM
What is Shiva Lingam? What does Lingam mean in fact? I heard that the Lingam is associated with a phallos. (Sorry, if it sounds harsh, but that's what I heard.) On the other hand, I also heard that it is NOT a phallos, but Lingam simply means "Sign", so Shiva Lingam means "Sign of Shiva". So what really is the Lingam?

Adhvagat
06 October 2010, 11:42 AM
I've also heard about it...

The relation Linga/Yoni also makes it look like a male/female representation.

Even if you can interpret the Linga as a phallos, I think the spiritual significance of this goes beyond the representation of sexual organs, which by itself shouldn't be something small as well, life is manifested in this material world by the interaction of these two.

Please note that I'm also speaking through ignorance here, please link us to any helpful texts regarding this subject.

Thanks!

Om Tat Sat

Ashvati
06 October 2010, 03:37 PM
I've read of it being Shiva represented more or less as a formless, absolute abstract. This is the way I tend to think of it, but I've heard the explanation of it being a phallic symbol just as often.

yajvan
06 October 2010, 05:03 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

We have reviewed this in a few posts...
See if this adds value & understanding: http://www.atdhe.net/watchtv.html (http://www.atdhe.net/watchtv.html)
praṇām

sanjaya
06 October 2010, 06:00 PM
Wikipedia gives an interesting explanation of this, in which it becomes apparent that the Shiva Lingam is not a phallic image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Linga#Interpretation_as_phallus

I found these words to be particularly informative:

It has been claimed by some foreign scholars that the linga and its surrounding basin are sexual symbols, representing the male and the female organs respectively. Well — anything can be regarded as a symbol of anything; that much is obvious. There are people who have chosen to see sexual symbolism in the spire and the font of a Christian church. But Christians do not recognize this symbolism; and even the most hostile critics of Christianity cannot pretend that it is a sex-cult. The same is true of the cult of Shiva.

For whatever reason, some people see a long object and think penis. I have no idea why, but in my family's use of the Shiva Lingam in worship we have never thought of it as such. As far as I know there's no reference to this in Hindu Scriptures either. But for the perversions of many Western youth, I wouldn't even see the resemblance.

Ekanta
06 October 2010, 09:05 PM
Some stuff I collected over some time from Sathya Sai Baba:

Linga & AUM
Just as Om is the sound symbol of God, the Linga is the Form symbol or the visible symbol of God, the most meaningful, the simplest and the least endowed with the appendages of attributes. Lingam means, that in which this jagath (world of change) attains Laya (mergence or dissolution), Leeyathe. All Forms merge in the Formless at last. Shiva is the Principle of the Destruction of all Names and Forms, of all entities and individuals. So, the Linga is the simplest sign of emergence and mergence. (sss09-03)

Linga & Sathyam, Shivam, Sundaram
Linga is the form most approximate to the conception of the formless, attributeless Absolute. The Linga is the form of God, emerging from the Nir-akara (formless) to the Sa-akara (form filled). Other Akaras (Forms) are all subsumed in the Linga Form.
Prakriti, the objective world, is the base. It signifies that the Lord is established in that manifestation of His, which is the concrete presentation of His play, His potentiality and His Shakti (Power). That is why the Lord is described as Shiva Shakti Athmaka Swarupam, "the Supreme which became the Shiva and the Shakti," the latent and the patent. You will notice that the base has a horizontal superstructure, over which the cylindrical Linga is placed.
• The base is Sathyam (Truth)
• The structure over it is Shivam (Goodness)
• The Linga is Sundaram (Beauty)
One is the flower, the second is the perfume and the third is the wind, the Formless that wafts the fragrance, which is the symbol of Mangalam (auspiciousness) which is Shivam. Sathyam or truth is the base on which the Universe and all that it implies rest. (sss11-49)

God is Truth, Truth is Goodness, Goodness is beauty. Truth, Goodness, Beauty, Sathyam, Shivam, Sundaram is yourself. Be yourself. (sss05-40)

Real beauty consists in virtue, self-control and selflessness.
• Sundaram (beauty) arises from
• Shivam (goodness) and Shivam from
• Sathyam (Truth).
Be guided by this rule. (sss07-14)

------------

An interesting side note: Socrates used to teach "Truth, Goodness, beauty"

flabber
06 October 2010, 11:45 PM
This video is a very informative explanation and possibly the correct one for the meaning of Shiva Linga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHirGaoddY

please watch it fully.

upsydownyupsy mv ss
07 October 2010, 03:16 AM
The unknown truth asked the greater unknown truth,
'Who are you, what are you?' its heart was filled with innocence and struck with awe seeing the magnificent power of the greater unknown truth, whose radiance could blind all lies, whose radiance is more than the radiance of infinite set of infinite suns put together, whose greatness is unmatched by all the bhootas (souls lost in the maya that this world is the real world), whose knowledge is beyond the reach of knowledge itself, whose love is beyond the reach of love itself, whose righteousness and judgment have no equals, replies to his friend, "I'm the ever lasting, all pervasive one, present in everything as everything, I reside in everything irrespective of good or bad, untouched by evil (nishkalanka), instead evil fears my touch. I am the truth that everything must know. I'm the beginning and the end. The oldest and the youngest, the one who loves you and nurtures you. I'm your mother, father and your guru. Most of all your best friend for life. Know that I shall always reside within you. I'm the 'you' which is not 'you'. I'm that tattva that is the root cause (yupa stamba) of all existence. I'm untouched by ignorance. By my touch, ignorance is no more. I protect dharma, I am dharma in a way.'
I'm the infinity and the beyond, I'm everything, I'm in everything, I'm even in nothingness. I am all the dimensions, universes, intellect, intelligence, your ultimate level of inner consciousness, I'm all the consciousness. I'm without ego, the maya, the gunas, never influence me. I'm the one without destiny. My size is the biggest, the smallest and the indeterminate. I'm the indeterminate. I represent everything and everything represents me. Everything has my essence, I'm no ones essence. I have no desires, if any of desires dare touch me, they burn without being able to stand my divinity. I don't need the nectar to be eternal, nor do I die with poison in my stomach.......(goes on and on and on and on and on......." He goes on and on and on explaining what he is and who he is, but the thing is this explanation has no end. He started explaining infinite eons ago and will continue for infinite eons more and he won't end telling it.

In other words, he is represented by the yupa stambha, the pillar whose radiance is infinity, which is whorshipped and loved wholeheartedly by the atharva veda. Go to atharva veda, that is the best referrence to say what is shiva linga. Shiva linga is the representation of Yupa Stambha and Yupa Stambha, a representation of Shiva. In other words, it is a representation of a representation which represents Lord Shiva. Refer all explanations of Shankaracharya, Vivekananda and others, before you say something like this.
The thing is the western religions and some of our own people could not withstand this understanding, they were jealous. They could not understand it either. I'll tell you what else happened, the other religions knew if everyone came to know of this information in atharva veda, most western philosophies would be shattered.

http://threegoddesses.com/Rutabagas_files/shivalinga.html
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Complete_Works_of_Swami_Vivekananda/Volume_4/Translation:_Prose/The_Paris_Congress_of_the_History_of_Religions

I have my explanation for this one as well.
I'm sure all of you know 'holography.'
A hologram is kinda like a metaphor. It is how you take n dimensions and reduce it to n-1 dimensions or n-2 or n-k (say). If everything, i.e, the time from past infinity to the future infinity, if you take all the space, universes, dimensions, consciousness, all stages of existences, and everything from what you know to what you don't know and get an image that infinite dimensional object called 'Shiva' and then create and image for it called 'Yupa Stambha' as explained in the atharva veda and then convert this infinite dimensional images to a 3 dimensional holographic object made up of a stone or any other material, making sure, each atom represents each quality by the use of mantras and then you give the final touch up to the part ellipsoid stone and add you're devotion to this. The resultant so called 3d object, which you can see,touch & feel (& sometimes even hear) is what you call a Shiva Linga.
If these so called 'philosophers' cannot see this and understand this and by seeing this if they recall only 'sexual organs' and nothing more than, that is the only thing what they can think of, because 'it seems that all their lives have been nothing but the usage of these organs.'
While, one day while travelling, the whole universe and time seemed a linga and I bowed my head, with devotion and love.

Na - Removes all evil. I don't know this completely
Mah - Bestows all good, including Moksha.
I don't know this completely

Shivaya - This is what I need to know. I will know it, if not now, in the infinitive future

upsydownyupsy mv ss
07 October 2010, 03:19 AM
I don't remember where I have read this, but pasted it in my computer. Sorry for occupying too much space.:o

shiva lingam is the holy symbol of Lord shiva that is considered quite sacred and worshipped with devotion by the devotees. The sanskrit word lingam means symbol, so shiva lingam means symbol of shiva. It is considered the foremost sacred symbol for shaivaites and has been worshiped for ages. The purANas like shiva mahA purANam discuss about the superiority of linga worship.

Shivlinga stands for the union of Shiva / consciousness with Shakti/ energy and that is the cause of the cosmos.
Three main Lingas we have.

First is material form which usually call Linga. Shiva, Kriya, and Ishta is older names for this outside or material form. We have and few parts of one very holy Linga in Kaaba which have and next two deeper forms)! Today have many cults which haven't real knowledge about inner form and way for enter in process bhakti, jnana, dhyana - and have only parts of this knowledge because usually make only puja.
Inside each regular Kriya/Ishta linga is Shiva linga. Kriya/Ishta Linga present form of awaking consciousness which is feeling consciousness (bhakti, pure love, first devotional state, dominant kriya shakti - any action God is love) and have and deeper level consciousness inside as willing consciousness (dominant icha shakti, love have exact real direction, or life, quality, quantity, intention,..).

Next and inner form of linga is Pranalinga. This is Linga from inner light. Saints from old time teach people about form Linga because this great souls see "Divine soul in Linga". Divine Soul has divine aura which is exact form linga. Position of Soul which old saint see (in aura) is form Shiva Linga. Now we have two forms in one. Outside is like sharp ball on the water (sphere which haven't part in down), and inside is form body in position watching Linga on the left palm. Shivalinga is symbolic form: part sphere form is only symbolic form of head (haven't nothing with phallus), middle form of Shivalinga is symbolic form of left palm and higher part of body from heart/navel to neck (haven't nothing with vulva) and on palm is subtle/invisible Linga, lower part of Shivalinga is symbolic form of lower part of body from navel to legs.
Pranalinga present form of sleeping consciousness which is cognition consciousness (third devotional or bhakti state, where is dominant jnana shakti - any direct knowing is God love) and have and deeper level consciousness inside as intuition consciousness. This is point reflection consciousness on the lower states or enter in higher form (execution) consciousness which is only base reflection of intuition consciousness.

Deepest form Linga is Mahalinga. This is very high dynamic form, with very high speed rotations and quietness (of extremely higher forms inner lights and inner sounds which is incorporate simultaneously), and all this is complete beyond mind. Very difficult find any reasonable words for intellect. Much deepest and complexes forms than in illusion when we look car which go in one direction, but all time wheels go on opposite direction. Here all forms have source or there is real place for resolve all illusions and then direct see God (or enter in complete consciousness). This extreme rotations have outside form Linga (sphere without lower part).
There where all (para, chit, ananda, jnana, icha and kriya) shaktis deepest with Shiva, became completed in One Consciousness or enter in reflection as lower consciousness.
This consciousness can abide as one consciousness on lower level as Pranalinga or as consciousness which reflected as thought in mind and intellect (or became omitted, or limited consciousness) which present as all outside forms of pranalinga.

Mahalinga present form of deep sleeping consciousness which is execution consciousness (fifth devotional or bhakti state) and have and deeper level consciousness inside as union consciousness (sixth devotional or bhakti state) when haven't separation in consciousness.

Because each of this three Lingas have two Lingas, exactly we have 6 Lingas*** or 6 levels consciousness or consciousness and five reflections. Now is open: not any creation all is only reflection, all is one consciousness, or all is One!

Real teachings is only part of this! This is and real meaning in doctrines hexagram, pentagram, and six days creation,..

Next facts

Shape of outside Linga is like shape inside Lingas which is from lights. This Linga's shape is open only through inner experiences. When real saint call God, or better say make proper invocation to sanctify shape Linga (which made in one stone), and when properly make sanctify one small part of consciousness enter in stone, and stone became sacred. Of course and today many try make Linga, but result is very different from this what will be necessary.

Linga is from oldest teaching, and connection with this knowledge have and spread great prophet Mohammed (and today we have only few parts one from this sacred stone in Kaaba). Have doctrines which want explain God and His creation like eggs, but haven't this crucial static part or horizontal base Linga. Haven't any part under base complete invisible and static on the all levels, and when seeker truth try to find anything deeper.Shape Linga (and through original Kaaba's sacred stone) on this way teach us: God is inside all His emanation (energy, creation) as base which give all.

Original colour Linga is white in Gold / Krita Yuga, but today is black because in last period is Kali Yuga! This black colour is originate and with colour pigment in pineal gland, which exact deep indigo colour (very close black).

Today we have many religion variations and teachings, and very probably lose many crucial points. Direct prayer to God (five prayers per day teach us God through Islam) is very simple form, but today people have many rules and variations. This is bad, through this rules nobody can't enter deeper then level which produce this rules! This is not God. When we accept deepest form which higher then any intellectual efforts, and we for this have all time direct highest God's form or Linga! This way is only intuitional way or through open heart (consciously way).
[Source: Mahapratibhawan]

An ancient story in our scriptures:

Once the god of creation brahma and the god of protection mahA vishNu entered in an argument on deciding who is greater. When those two great gods were fighting between themselves, the Greatest of all Lord shiva who is formless and transcends everything appeared as a pillar of flame. God told brahma and vishNu that whoever finds the head or the foot of His flame form would be considered greater. brahmA took the form of swan ( ha.msam ) and set out to reach the top of the Fire. vishNu became a wild pig to see the foot of the Fire. Where are the limits for the infinite God ? They could not succeed in spite of their heavy effort. They realized their mistake and the peerless greatness of Lord shiva. The God who can never be reached by ego appears as the form of love to those who surrender to Him. Lord shiva appeared in the form of shiva lingam (which is the shape of flame) for their benefit. They worshiped that oldest form of Him and got blessed. The God who came to bless them from the Flame, from the lingam is known as li.ngodbhava (2). This incident is depicted in shiva mahA purANam (1) and many other scriptures.

As the God stood as pillar of flame, the natural adornment for the Lord is Holy Ash. (As ash would be found on the surface of the fire). As the God stood as the Luminat Flame that stood up the shiva sahasranAma hails God as Urdva retas and the shiva aShtottara as hiraNya retas. The hymn that starts nidhana pataye namaH, refers to many similarities of Flame and shivalinga.

God is formless, attributeless and omnipresent. This state is called arUpa (formless). For the benefit of the pashus, He took the form of shiva lingam which is neither form nor formless but is a symbol. This symbol of Him is called arUparUpam (formless form). He took many forms out of His mercy to bless all, which are called rUpams. (2). shaivam worships the God in all these three states. The oldest form that the formless God took namely the shiva lingam is called sadAshiva mUrtam and is worshipped in the altar of His abodes (temples). The forms that He later took which are called mAhEshwara mUrtam are worshipped in the outer circles in a temple.

This shiva linga worship is superior because it makes the worship simple because of the form while maintaining the truth that God is not having any definite form. There are a lot more marvelous principles behind the shiva linga worship which could be found in detail in standard scriptures.

kallol
07 October 2010, 05:52 AM
There are two types of deities worshipped :

1. Human like representation of Gods - most commonly found

2. Symbolic representation of God - Om, flame, Shila (Vishnu), Shiva Linga, etc. It is like symbolic representation of a country by flag.

Now linga means sign, symbol, indicator, etc. Like what are the lingas for identifying whether a person is tamas or rajas or satvik ?

Some groups which moved ahead of the human form of gods to the symbolic form of gods (biswarupam) to behold the power within an abstract form (not to get attached to human form). This heps to move beyond defined to undefined to infinity.

Love and best wishes

Tapasya
08 October 2010, 06:15 AM
One can view the Shiva Lingam as a prolate ellipsoid, where part is visible and the other part is embedded in the earth. The visible represents manifest plurality (Sakti) and the invisible absolute reality i.e. the substratum that supports the former.
If we start with half a prolate ellipsoid and merge with a spherical ellipsoid you obtain an egg. Here we note that one of the numerous means by which a universe may be created, according to Hindu cosmogony, is through Hiranyagarba.
The circle is a special case of the ellipse. The ellipsoid can be cut across its axis to create an ellipse and at right angles to the main axis to create a circle.
To clarify further, I conclude with sutras 14-18 from G.S. Murthy’s brilliant Paratattvaganitadarsanam (Principles of transcendental philosophy of mathematical truth), chapter atrptadhikaranam:
14. Vrattamisvarah I
Circle (is) Isvarah
15. Purnamimamsadarsanat I
(This) follows from meaning of Full in Purnamimsadarsanam
[The author of the book acknowledges that his sutras were the result of intense meditations and further that the sutras were inspired by Jagadguru Sri Kalyananda Bharati Mantacharya’s Purnamimamsadarsanam – hence this reference in this sutra]
16. Vyaso hi mata I
Diameter is indeed the measurer
17. Sri matetyahbhidhiyate I
We comprehend it as Divine Mother.
18. Mayeti ca I
Also as Divine illusion.

flabber
10 October 2010, 04:06 AM
This video is a very informative explanation and possibly the correct one for the meaning of Shiva Linga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHirGaoddY

please watch it fully.

anyone has comments for this video. I think it did not appear before as my post was awaiting moderation.

upsydownyupsy mv ss
10 October 2010, 11:23 PM
anyone has comments for this video. I think it did not appear before as my post was awaiting moderation.
Beautiful marvellous!!!!!!! awesome!!!!! Woohoo! Soo many unanswered questions resolved! Nice video!

TatTvamAsi
11 October 2010, 04:07 AM
There are two types of deities worshipped :

1. Human like representation of Gods - most commonly found

2. Symbolic representation of God - Om, flame, Shila (Vishnu), Shiva Linga, etc. It is like symbolic representation of a country by flag.

Now linga means sign, symbol, indicator, etc. Like what are the lingas for identifying whether a person is tamas or rajas or satvik ?

Some groups which moved ahead of the human form of gods to the symbolic form of gods (biswarupam) to behold the power within an abstract form (not to get attached to human form). This heps to move beyond defined to undefined to infinity.

Love and best wishes

Very good explanation.

The simple fact is the human mind cannot grasp that which is transcendent yet immanent; Brahman. Thus, the various principles of apparent creation (according to Advaita) are manifest and are thus anthropomorphized into the deities. The only representation of the unmanifest principle is the Shiva Lingam.

Idiots who know nothing other than sex and filth only sexualize symbols such as the Lingam. Anyone who has seen the movie Superbad will know what I'm talking about. You see what you want to see is the jist of it. Yet, the authentic representation of it must come from those who hold it closest, metaphorically speaking, the Hindus. And the Hindu explanation of the Lingam is quite straightforward. ;)

upasaka
18 October 2010, 09:16 PM
I appreciate what people have contributed to this thread, I have learned a bit more about the Shiva Lingam. When I read about the lingam in the past, from Western authors, it was always described as a phallic symbol. So frequently have I read this explanation I had just assumed that Hindus really did consider the lingam as a symbol of sexual fertility. Thank you all for expanding my understanding of the concept and correcting my wrong view on the subject!

Eastern Mind
18 October 2010, 09:19 PM
I appreciate what people have contributed to this thread, I have learned a bit more about the Shiva Lingam. When I read about the lingam in the past, from Western authors, it was always described as a phallic symbol. So frequently have I read this explanation I had just assumed that Hindus really did consider the lingam as a symbol of sexual fertility. Thank you all for expanding my understanding of the concept and correcting my wrong view on the subject!

Vannakkam: This is good! Aum Namasivaya

prithvi
19 October 2010, 06:45 AM
What is Shiva Lingam? What does Lingam mean in fact? I heard that the Lingam is associated with a phallos. (Sorry, if it sounds harsh, but that's what I heard.) On the other hand, I also heard that it is NOT a phallos, but Lingam simply means "Sign", so Shiva Lingam means "Sign of Shiva". So what really is the Lingam?

read this buddy -

Fallacy, ignorance - or mischief!
The fallacy, ignorance - or mischief - of western scholars in interpreting the Shiva Linga as a phallic symbol has unfortunately been swallowed hook line and sinker by left-liberal commentators without an understanding of our scriptures or the Sanskrit language or both. Such depraved / perverse interpretations are standard staple for debating warriors in the left dominated universities like the JNU. One looks askance when they become part of judgements pronounced by the higher judiciary while adjudicating in momentous matters, especially when the judgement seems to be anchored on such interpretations or when such interpretations seems to form one of the major pivots of the judgement:
“……very concept of Lingam of the God Shiva resting in the centre of the Yoni, is in a way representation of the act of creation, the union of Prakriti and Purusua.” (Para 3)
Did the amicus curie or other legal officers who assisted in the case mislead the court by placing before it material with an ideological slant, screening out others?
The Sanskrit word Linga simply means a ‘mark’ or ‘sign’. Vaman Shivram Apte's dictionary of Sanskrit has seventeen definitions of the term. The following are some of them.
The image of a god
A symptom or mark of disease
A spot or stain
A means of proof, a proof, evidence
The effect or product which evolves from a primary cause
The concept of grammatical genderAn example of the use of the word Linga from the Bhagavat Gita, may be cited here: Arjuna (14.21) prays Bhagavan Sri Krishna to reveal him the signs / marks / symptoms of a man who has risen above the three Gunas (the three qualities, Sattva, Rajas, Tamas), he uses the word Lingais (plural form of Linga) as a synonym for signs / marks / symptoms.
“Kair lingais tr?n gun?n et?nat?to bhavati prabho……” (14.21) A few authoritative translations of the sloka are quoted below:
“O my dear Lord, by what symptoms is one known who is transcendental to those modes? What is his behaviour? And how does he transcend the modes of nature? ” (Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, A.C., His Divine Grace, Bhagavad-Gita As It Is, Collier Books, New York, 1972, p.684-5)
"O Lord, by what signs is one (known) who has gone beyond these three qualities?" (Gambhirananda, Swami)
"By what marks is he recognized, who has transcended these three qualities, O Lord?” (Winthrop, Sargeant)
“What are the marks of him who has risen above the three Gunas, and what his conduct? And, how Lord, does he rise above the three Gunas?” (The Bhagavadgita or The Song Divine, Gita Press, Gorakhpur, 1998, p.140-1)
The following example of the usage of the word Linga in philosophy is from the S?nkhya-K?rik?as translated in: Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan and Charles A. Moore.A Sourcebook in Indian Philosophy. (Princeton University Press: Princeton, New Jersey, 1957; Twelfth printing 1989, ISBN 0-691-01958-4. p. 428.), which describes the role of attributes in recognition of objects perceived by the senses:“Perception is the ascertainment of objects [which are in contact with sense-organs]; inference, which follows on the knowledge of the characteristic mark (linga) and that which bears the mark...." (Cited in Wikipedia encyclopaedia)

Or look at the following aniconic interpretation of the Shiva Linga as a conceptual confluence of the holy triumvirate of the Hindu dharma:
“[I]Shivalinga consists of three parts. The bottom part which is four-sided remains under ground, the middle part which is eight-sided remains on a pedestal and the top part which is actually worshipped is round. The height of the round part is one-third of its circumference. The three parts symbolize Brahma at the bottom, Vishnu in the middle and Shiva on the top. The pedestal is provided with a passage for draining away the water that is poured on top by devotees. The Linga symbolizes both the creative and destructive power of the Lord and great sanctity is attached to it by the devotees.” (Bansi, Pandit Hindu Dharma cited in Wikipedia encyclopaedia)
A.L. Basham a doyen of Indian historiography worshipped by the left-liberal historians has this interpretation of ‘Lingam’ as a symbol of Shiva. His reference to 'a cult order' might have been picked up from an earlier Western scholar, but in any case this seems to have put an indigenous stamp on exogenous chicanery[SIZE=small]:
"... Shiva was and still is chiefly worshipped in the form of the Linga, usually a short cylindrical pillar with rounded top, which is the survival of a cult older than Indian civilization itself.... The cult of the Linga, at all times followed by some of the non-?ryan peoples, was incorporated into Hinduism around the beginning of the Christian era, though at first it was not very important." (Wikipedia encyclopedia)

For Swami Dharmananda a great saint and practitioner of Yoga there is a mysterious power in the Linga, its shape has been designed to induce concentration of the mind.
“Just as the mind is focused easily in crystal-gazing, so also the mind attains one-pointedness, when it looks at the Linga. That is the reason why the ancient Rishis and the seers of India have prescribed Linga for being installed in the temples of Lord Shiva.” (Wikipedia encyclopedia)
Our scriptures are replete with instances of the worship of Shiva in the form of Linga as a means for acquisition of divine knowledge or powers or as an invocation for the triumph of good over evil. For example, in the epic Mahabharata, the great warrior Arjuna worshipped Shiva in the form of Linga for acquiring the Pashupatasthra.

In the epic Ramayana, Ravana, who was a great Vedic scholar worshipped Shiva in the form of a Linga to present his mother with the Atmalinga. Would an erudite Vedic scholar be as depraved / perverse as to present his mother with a phallic symbol?
In the same epic, Sri Rama performs prathistha (installation) of a Shiva Linga at Rameswaram (hence the name) before embarking on an odyssey to defeat Ravana and liberate his divine consort Sri Sita held captive by him.

Bhakt Markandeya and numerous other sages worshipped the simplest looking Linga. In order to abstain from all materialism and attain spirituality, the rishis used to retire to forests and use a lump of soil as a tool to help them concentrate on the Supreme Being. They used the Linga as a symbol to relate to cosmic energy through meditation.

Ashoka
19 October 2010, 11:40 AM
I don't have a problem with the linga representing the male principle of Shiva as a phallus. It isn't dirty to me or only sexual, though I can see how the concept could be debased and abused by those who seek to insult and discredit Sanatana Dharma.

I see the following from Satguru Shivaya Subramuniyaswami:

In certain tantric sects the Śivalińga is worshiped as a phallic symbol, and the base of the lińga as a vulva, or yoni. While the lińga represents the unmanifest or static Absolute of Śiva, the yoni represents the dynamic, creative energy of Śakti, the womb of the universe.
from his book, Merging with Siva (http://books.google.com/books?id=JupkNVxfwHgC&pg=PA856&lpg=PA856&dq=subramuniyaswami+lingam+yoni&source=bl&ots=sGTFI9h4Y5&sig=Zq--CnLNdUaUHD5sfw-PfjASXRI&hl=en&ei=CMO9TNSJN4X0tgPZ79XYDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false).

Also, there is this:

Parvati subdues Shiva's immense sexual vitality. In this context, Shiva Purana (http://hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Shiva_Purana) says: 'The linga (http://hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Linga) of Shiva, cursed by the sages, fell on the earth and burnt everything before it like fire. Parvati took the form of a yoni (http://hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Yoni) and calmed it by holding the linga in her yoni'. The Padma Purana (http://hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Padma_Purana) also tells the story of Parvati assuming the form of yoni to receive lingam of Shiva, who was cursed by sage Bhrigu (http://hindudharmaforums.com/wiki/Bhrigu) to be the form of the lingam.[18] (http://hindudharmaforums.com/#cite_note-17)
from here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvati).

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Adhvagat
19 October 2010, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone...

Let me offer another look into this discussion. First of all, let me clarify that I'm not an authority in the Lingam, I'm merely connecting some dots and asking everyone for guidance.

I remember reading, in the site of that Shiva Lingam made out of solidified mercury (please remind me the name) if I'm not mistaken, about the form of the Lingam and it said that its form "was the form best capable of storing and preserving energy". That's the first dot.

Now, I don't understand why you are all relating sexuality with perversion and filth, so all of us were conceived through perversion and filth? That sounds like a Christian concept to me. In this age, through sexuality we perpetuate life and like every other organ of action we have in our body, it has its symbolism. The sexual congress in itself being a highly symbolic act. So we come to the symbolism contained in both male and female genitals.

Now connecting the dots with a new perspective: The Lingam wouldn't be related to sexuality or a phallic symbol, because that would be stating that the material existence is a cause for the supreme, and I'm sure it's quite the other way around. The male genital, having the symbolic responsibility of storing and preserving energy, so it perpetuates life through sexual congress, has a resemblance in shape and is inspired by this supreme and illimited form related to the storing and preservation of spiritual energy. So it's not about the sexualization of an aniconic symbol, it's about the spiritualization of our sexuality.

What do you think?

Om Tat Sat

Ashoka
20 October 2010, 11:50 AM
Although I am certainly no authority on the topic, it seems to me that religous symbols tend to be very powerful and most often "work" on multiple levels. And Sanatana Dharma is a very symbol-rich system.
It makes sense to me that the generative organs would also be very powerful symbols of creation and divine power. Not that the phallus/yoni are the base of existence or most powerful things, but that they could, in symbolic form, come to represent the interaction of the active and passive principles of Shiva and Shakti - in addition to powerfully representing other things of course.

Ashoka
20 October 2010, 11:51 AM
Double post. My apologies.
Please feel free to delete.

Kumar_Das
20 October 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not entirely certain that I understand your point. As a Catholic, I was always aware that the crucifix (with corpus) represented a tortured and dying Jewish man. The cross (the instrument of torture) from which eternal life springs (according to Catholic theology) was also considered to be a tree of life. This is why you will sometimes see a crucifix which appears to have three buds on its ends. So yes, it is a rich and many-layered symbol which rewards continued contemplation by those to whose faith it belongs. It has coarse symbolism as well as lofty symbolism.

Unfortunately, IMHO, Christianity has been stripped (so to speak) of any representations of holy sexuality. Sexuality is too often hidden, denigrated, insulted, and considered incapable of being holy. We see this in the fact that Jesus Christ was not married. Perhaps a healthier Christian theology would have developed if Jesus had a literal holy Bride.

We don't care about xtianity. I don't see a reason for you to bring all this up. We have our religion, and it has nothing to do with others.

Hindus believe Hinduism to be the most oldest and diverse religion, and whatever other religions may have that also persist in Hinduism can only mean one thing. Flow from Hinduism to those religions.

Ashoka
21 October 2010, 11:40 AM
We don't care about xtianity. I don't see a reason for you to bring all this up. We have our religion, and it has nothing to do with others.

Hindus believe Hinduism to be the most oldest and diverse religion, and whatever other religions may have that also persist in Hinduism can only mean one thing. Flow from Hinduism to those religions.

I am afraid that I have given offense where none was intended. Please accept my apologies. I am not Christian and am not intending to defend Christianity. I only mentioned it because another poster brought it up. (It looks like that other post, to which I was responding, was deleted - so my post must have looked like it came out of nowhere.)

Since I seem to have trouble communicating my meaning on this topic without putting my foot in my mouth, I'll withdraw. Again, no offense was intended. I am here to learn about Sanatana Dharma because I am drawn to it as an ancient and very wise religion which seems to have answers to all of my questions and which does not promote division or hatred amongst peoples. I am only a beginner, but I am studying Sanatana Dharma, and specifically Shaiva Siddhantha, every single day.

Aum namah Shivaya.