PDA

View Full Version : Please, help me collect free online language resources (learning Tamil)

Elizabeth108
09 October 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi,

I have made up my mind to begin to learn Tamil. I have never learnt any other Asian languages before. I have chosen Tamil to learn because some day I'd like to be able to read Ramana Maharshi's words in his original language (Tamil).

Every helpful link / resource / advice is welcome.

Elizabeth

TatTvamAsi
09 October 2010, 03:32 PM
Hi Elizabeth,

Are you in the US?

If so, UC Berkeley in Northern California has a fantastic Tamil program. I'm sure you could take some classes (evening even) and begin to familiarize yourself with the basics.

Word of warning though: Tamil is very very difficult. Yet, it is a fantastic language with such intense vocabulary and grammar that if you do become somewhat fluent, you must read Kalki; perhaps one of the most famous authors in the Tamil language.

If you're not near California, I would honestly suggest getting some tutor to help you. You can always look for books/guides to help you but most of them are useless without further study.

Also, for fun, watch some Tamil movies! LOL!

Here is a video about this year's World Tamil Conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Cf2lGlRAQ

It encapsulates various Tamil subcultures nicely and even the different musical themes within Tamil culture.

Remember, India is the universe within the world. And within that universe, there are many worlds of which Tamil is one.

Good luck!