PDA

View Full Version : I dont think/read "Brahman" the same as "Ishwara"

Kumar_Das
11 October 2010, 07:29 AM
Firstly I want to briefly give the picture of where I'm coming from.

Even though my background is Dvaita, kula-sampradaya is in-line with Dvaita. I am from a liberal modernized family. And we don't really engage much in festivities, yagna, puja etc. And I've had not much formal learning in scriptures.

So growing up my family and I consider being "Hindu" to be an ethnic/blood relation-identity.

But not much from a religious perspective.

So let's just say I am not well-versed in the scriptures.

I have my own personal beliefs (pretty much like every other Hindu). And I consider myself to be more strictly monotheistic than other Hindus. But I from what I have learnt so far, I don't agree with Dvaita.(mainly due to Shri Madhva's heirarchy)

Note: As much as I respect Advaita and Shri Adi Shankaracharya. I can appreciate it without becoming an Advaitin myself. And adopting it would compromise my beliefs. (my personal beliefs, I see myself responsible for my own beliefs - I dont judge or condemn others)

Yet what I feel is that I see it as very logical and rational.

1) I can realize Advaita/Radical Monism, yet at the same time I am "feeling" Monotheistic.

Whats going on?

2) I see the difference between Brahman and Ishwara. Where in Brahman simply is not Ishwara(God Monotheistically). Considering my background tradition, they regard Vishnu only as Ishwara. And Brahman only as Ishwara.

But I don't see it that way.

I'm posting here because if I were to go ask the traditional scholars or elders, I'd expect them to say its due to "karma" or "dosha" or something like that. And that isn't very illuminating or helpful.

This thread is important. And directed at the experienced members. I'd appreciate if other people dont post.