PDA

View Full Version : relegions which accept and refuse rebirth/reincarnation concept

sar78
11 October 2010, 05:56 PM
As an obvious fact, not all the relegions accept the karmic concept of rebirth of souls. Even within Hinduism, there are different levels of concepts about rebirth such as human beings whether would or would not be giving birth as animals in their next re-incarnation... some traditions say its possible and some other traditions say not possible... some tradition say that 7 births for human being... I know about some astrologers predicting that whether next rebirth is possible or not based upon horoscope..... those are my thoughts...

but first I would like to list the major relegions which acknowledge rebirth/ reincarnation or karmic debt concepts....

relegions accepting karmic rebirth concept: Hinduism & Buddhism... (Any amendments please welcome as I am not sure of relegions such as jainism)

relegions refusing (at its current state): not very sure but I think Islam or christianity do not beleive in this current state of this modern science era...

please tell about any other corrections or amendments, apologies if i am incorrect, I just wanted to go ahead in putting this topic as i thought about

thanks much

amra
14 October 2010, 02:18 PM
Ismaili and Druze sects of Islam accept reincarnation.

NetiNeti
14 October 2010, 02:53 PM
Christians believe in reincarnation as well. This is often forgotten, even by Christians. After the apocalypse, they believe, Jesus will create a new world and his devotees will retake their past body and live on this new earth. Sounds like reincarnation to me.

Adhvagat
14 October 2010, 04:04 PM
Christians believe in reincarnation as well. This is often forgotten, even by Christians. After the apocalypse, they believe, Jesus will create a new world and his devotees will retake their past body and live on this new earth. Sounds like reincarnation to me.

Sounds like Kalki's coming and the next Satya Yuga's beginning IMO.

When I read the Revelations I was quite shocked to realize that it was very similar to the 12nd canto of Srimad Bhagavatam.

NetiNeti
14 October 2010, 04:07 PM
Sounds like Kalki's coming and the next Satya Yuga's beginning IMO.

When I read the Revelations I was quite shocked to realize that it was very similar to the 12nd canto of Srimad Bhagavatam.

Jaya Sri Kalki!!

Eastern Mind
15 October 2010, 05:52 PM

Vannakkam NetiNeti: This may be your belief juxtaposed upon the Christians, but the reality today is that few, if any Christians believe in reincarnation in any way resembling the Hindu way. Just go and ask them for yourself. I believe it is unfair to project beliefs onto someone else. They will tell you in no uncertain terms that reincarnation is a false teaching, and if its a fundamentalist, that teaching comes from Satan. So whether they have forgotten as you put it, is irrelevant. The reality is what it is.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
16 October 2010, 09:07 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Reincarnation is no doubt an interesting reality in sanātana dharma to understand. Yet to me what makes sanātana dharma completely profound from other views is the notion of jivanmukti. That ability to realize completely your true nature while walking on this good earth. In fact the word realize is better said as re-cognition (re-membering) your Divine status.

My teacher used to say we are against reincarnation . Those steeping in the material side of understanding would gasp. Those śiṣya's who knew the teacher's way understood instantly. We do not shoot for reincarnation we aim for mokṣa.

In many religions 'heaven' is a common theme, even in sanātana dharma. Yet it too is a stopping point , an āśrama (halting place). It is not the final place but must be a very nice place to visit...

praṇām

Adhvagat
16 October 2010, 11:50 PM
In many religions 'heaven' is a common theme, even in sanātana dharma. Yet it too is a stopping point , an āśrama (halting place). It is not the final place but must be a very nice place to visit...

praṇām

Even Vaikunta? :)

Om Tat Sat

ScottMalaysia
17 October 2010, 05:28 PM
Some Jews believe in reincarnation. Here (http://www.pinenet.com/~rooster/bta-faq1.html) is an FAQ written by a Jewish rabbi about reincarnation.

Christianity used to believe in reincarnation. There is a passage in the Gospel of John where Jesus sees a man blind from birth. His disciples ask him ""Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" (John 9:2) Obviously he could not have sinned before he was born, so it seems that the Apostles believed in reincarnation, like some Jews today.

Agnikan
08 December 2011, 10:09 PM
The Unity School of Christianity is perhaps the only Christian denomination that explicitly teaches reincarnation.

mradam83
04 June 2012, 08:43 PM
Namaste.

Druidism also has reincarnation in its belief system as well.

Ancient Druidism is a bit sketchy though as not enough information survived after the Christianisation of Ireland and Britain.

However, what little information that did survive has been incorporated into Neo-Druidism so much that Reincarnation is now a valid and quite believed concept in Druidism (I did look into it earlier on this year, so thankfully none of my info is guesswork).

With its love for nature, respect for wildlife and a pantheon of gods, I wonder if it is a distant cousin (very distant) to Hinduism (possibly due to the pre-historic Indo-European religion that spread when civilisation branched out from the Caucasus).

ShivaIsLord
04 July 2012, 07:54 PM
Some Jews believe in reincarnation. Here (http://www.pinenet.com/%7Erooster/bta-faq1.html) is an FAQ written by a Jewish rabbi about reincarnation.

Christianity used to believe in reincarnation. There is a passage in the Gospel of John where Jesus sees a man blind from birth. His disciples ask him ""Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" (John 9:2) Obviously he could not have sinned before he was born, so it seems that the Apostles believed in reincarnation, like some Jews today.

Jesus responded by saying that neither him nor his parents sinned. If Jesus didn't believe in Karma or reincarnation, he would have been like "you idiots, there's no such thing" but he didn't. He simply said that it did not apply in this one particular case.

dhyandev
05 July 2012, 01:08 PM
I think these people believed in

यावज्जीवेत् सुखं जीवेत्, ऋणं कृत्वा घृतं पिबेत।

भस्मीभूतस्य देहस्य, पुनरागमनं कुत:।।

अर्थात् जब तक जीओ सुख से जीओ, उधार ले लेकर घी पीओ क्योंकि मरने के बाद देह भस्म हो जाएगी और वापस किसे आना है।

i.e. as long as u live ,live happily.Eat best foods even if u have to take a loan.after death this body will turn to ash who will return?::Cool:

Vasa
17 July 2012, 04:15 PM
There is a passage in the New Trstament in which Jesus implies that both he and John the Baptist had a previous life as two of the characters in the Old Testament. I can't remember offhand but I'll try to locate it. Christianity believes in reincarnation until the 5th or 6th century AD when the church began to dispute it.

Vasa
17 July 2012, 04:20 PM
Also, Asatru, which is the pagan beliefs of my people the Scandinavians, believed that people are reincarnated in their family. Asatru is basically the Swedish version of Hinduism, there are many striking similarities, and it is claimed that Odhinn himself was once a king in Asia. I don't find it too hard to believe that a group of Proto-Indos migrated there in the distant past and brought Vedic concepts of religion with them.

Vasa
17 July 2012, 10:55 PM
So Jesus confirmed in the Bible that John the Baptist was Elijah in his past life, and words to the affect that John the Baptist was his guru in a past life would lend support to the argument that Jesus was the reincarnation of Elisha. More information can be found at this website: http://www.near-death.com/experiences/origen03.html

Personally I think the tale of Jesus coming to India and learning spirituality from masters there during the gap of undocumented years in the Bible makes the most sense. I struggled to understand a lot of Jesus' teachings until I saw them in the light of a Hindu (Yogananda) perspective.

mradam83
13 February 2013, 03:21 PM
Namaste.

Also, re-visiting this thead I've since learned that the Yoruba religion of Africa believe in re-incarnation.

In fact, the name Babatunde translates to "father returns" referring to the belief in the re-incarnation specifically of one's ancestors.

Pranams.