PDA

View Full Version : Writings on Ishta Devata

Ao
11 October 2010, 10:31 PM
Namaste friends,

I'd like to ask your help in finding some writings on the concept of Ishta Devata. Specifically I'm looking for anything by Sri Adi Shankara, Swami Vivekananda, and other advaitan writers (especially those from the Ramakrishna Order would be great).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, especially to commentaries, books, journal articles, or the like, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks to you all.

Elizabeth108
16 October 2010, 02:19 PM
Namaste friends,

I'd like to ask your help in finding some writings on the concept of Ishta Devata. Specifically I'm looking for anything by Sri Adi Shankara, Swami Vivekananda, and other advaitan writers (especially those from the Ramakrishna Order would be great).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, especially to commentaries, books, journal articles, or the like, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks to you all.

Hi,

I am also interested in the Advaita philosophy and its view of Ishta Devata...
I've just googled "Advaita view of Ishta Devata" and besides other posts I found this one:
http://advaitaphilosophy.blogspot.com/2008/02/bhakti-in-advaita-vedanta-philosophy.html

Maya3
31 October 2010, 11:50 AM
For me the Devas are "tools" to reach reality.
I personally do not believe that God really takes their forms when you worship them, but I do believe that it creates a focused energy with which to connect to God.
I think that if you focus on a ritual of your choice you "set your mind" in the right direction and can focus more deeply on your meditation.

Maya