PDA

View Full Version : "Galaxy is most distant object yet"

Ao
20 October 2010, 11:34 PM
From the beeb (BBC):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11580789

The Yepun Very Large Telescope complex in Chile has just found a galaxy more than 13 billion light years distant. That puts it very close to the beginning of the universe itself, which means we can learn a great deal about how our universe evolved from it.

Interesting article (well, to me), and note the size of the telescopes compared to the researchers in the pictures. Wow!:D

Tapasya
22 October 2010, 03:16 AM
Hopefully the JWST, that has longer wavelength coverage than the Hubble, will observe galaxies that are even more primordial! Perhaps it will spot one that is older than 14 billion and, therefore, older than the “universe”!

sanjaya
24 October 2010, 10:39 PM
Hopefully the JWST, that has longer wavelength coverage than the Hubble, will observe galaxies that are even more primordial! Perhaps it will spot one that is older than 14 billion and, therefore, older than the “universe”!

Heh, let's hope not! Either we don't know how to measure the Hubble parameter, or much of what we know about cosmology will turn out to be wrong.

Tapasya
25 October 2010, 04:25 AM
Heh, let's hope not! Either we don't know how to measure the Hubble parameter, or much of what we know about cosmology will turn out to be wrong.

Well, my perspective is perhaps more consistent with your latter statement - that much of what is currently known about cosmology is wrong!

flabber
26 October 2010, 03:36 AM
Well, my perspective is perhaps more consistent with your latter statement - that much of what is currently known about cosmology is wrong!

after reading so much about astronomy and quantum physics, my view is also the same. our understanding of gravity may even be flawed.

Tapasya
27 October 2010, 05:35 AM
after reading so much about astronomy and quantum physics, my view is also the same. our understanding of gravity may even be flawed.

Yes, standing on the shoulder of giants does not help one to see beyond a horizon! For me, incremental "corporeal" knowledge in Vyavaharika may be defined in terms of the unravelling of a single variable. However, it is still only one variable in the huge partial equilibrium model that represents human empirical reality. The fact that this partial equilibrium has apparent inherent and internal consistency is itself a falsity because it is a derivative of the limited sensory perception imposed by evolutionary biology.

Tapasya
01 December 2010, 12:49 PM
It would appear that Professor Penrose supports the view that there are "pre-Big Bang" events and possibly even concurs with the notion that the Big Bang is cyclical:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11837869

Maya3
02 December 2010, 08:57 AM
:)
Contracting and expanding are we...

Maya