PDA

View Full Version : The inner voice?

Tirisilex
21 October 2010, 03:12 PM
What aspect of mind is our inner voice associated with? Is it the Buddhi? And what of those voices that arise in mind that you know just isn't yours.

yajvan
21 October 2010, 08:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté Tirisilex

What aspect of mind is our inner voice associated with? Is it the Buddhi? And what of those voices that arise in mind that you know just isn't yours.

There's two ways to view this question. An inner voice of the spirit, some guidence, and/or the more common chatter of the mind that is incessent. Which do you mean?

For me, I have never had the opportunity to hear a guiding voice, but for the chatter, it grows less over the years.

praṇām

Ekanta
21 October 2010, 11:40 PM
If we by "inner voice" mean clear words one by one I dont think many have experienced that (we talk about divine revelation here and not "common chatter").
If we by "inner voice" mean a guiding vibration/ feeling, about right and wrong, then I think many have experienced that.

To my understanding this "inner voice" originates from the Lord and can be felt/picked up the the whole mind, if strongly felt. The buddhi can also be used to investigate into it. This was more of a fast reply... It would be interesting if people would elaborate on it. I can elaborate a lot if I quote Sai Baba... No one else seem to have elaborated on it... According to Baba its our most sacred gift!

Tirisilex
22 October 2010, 02:42 PM
I'm speaking about that Chatter that goes on in your mind that speaks your thoughts.. Then there is there are those other voices.. That speak that you just know is not your own.. Kind of like your conscience.. It says good things and Bad things..

AM I Making sense?

Ekanta
22 October 2010, 03:20 PM
How many voices do you hear?

Tirisilex
22 October 2010, 04:06 PM
=o)

Too many.. but not all at the same time.. Why is that not normal?

Maya3
28 October 2010, 01:20 PM
For me, if the "voice" come from "out of the blue" I feel it's from The Self,
if I can trace it back to a conversation or something I thought about just then, or saw or read just then, it's just mind chatter.

Maya

Tirisilex
31 October 2010, 12:52 PM
Is there a "word" for the chatter? Or is it just a part of the Buddhi?

yajvan
31 October 2010, 01:52 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Trisilex
Is there a "word" for the chatter? Or is it just a part of the Buddhi?

Lets look to the 'expert' and see what word he uses . Patañjali-muni says the following in the 2nd sūtra ,samādhi-pāda ( 1st chapter) of his sūtra's:

yogaś citta-vṛtti-nirodhaḥ

yogaś - process of yoking; union from 'yuj'
citta - as neuter gender - it is thinking , reflecting , imagining , thought; some put this as active mind
vṛtti - ' rolling , or rolling down' i.e. patterning, turnings, movements.
nirodhaḥ - suppression , destruction ; some prefer stilling, cessation, restrictionMy view
Yoga is the stilling (nirodhaḥ) of the active (vṛtti) mind (citta).

So, this 'chatter' can be considered 'rolling around' vṛtti. It is beyond buddhi (vitti - understanding , intelligence ). Another great word for this is kṣipta - " scattered " , distraction or absence of mind ; thrown , cast , sent , despatched , dismissed. It comes from one of the 5 states the mind can be in:

kṣipta - " scattered " , distraction or absence of mind ; thrown , cast , sent , despatched , dismissed
mūḍha - stupefied , bewildered , perplexed , confused , uncertain or at a loss about
vikṣipta - sent , dispatched i.e. being dispersed in different places
ekāgra - one-pointed , having one point , fixing one's attention upon one point or object , closely attentive , intent , absorbed
nirodhaḥ - suppression , destruction ; some prefer stilling, cessation, restrictionWhat state are we (me) looking to stay in consistently? sātatya सातत्य - consistency, uninterruptedness. This comes via nirodhaḥ listed above.

praṇām

jasdir
01 November 2010, 05:58 AM
Inner voice is ment by Divine Sound wave preasent in the head.

Other names of inner voice are "Naad", "Bange assamani", "Anahad", "Shabd", "Voice of silence", "Nida", "Word" etc...

Due to genration gap every faith has different name for "Inner Voice".

Eastern Mind
01 November 2010, 08:59 AM
If we by "inner voice" mean clear words one by one I dont think many have experienced that (we talk about divine revelation here and not "common chatter").
If we by "inner voice" mean a guiding vibration/ feeling, about right and wrong, then I think many have experienced that.

Vannakkam Ekanta: These are wise words. I was about to mention that different posters here are talking about separate things (at least 3) so it could lead to confusion. Then I read your post, which summed up nicely what I was going to say. I'll try to add a bit more.

So really there are 3 (at least) concepts that may be being talked about.
1) divine revelation, the voice of an ancient inner guide or mystic talking to you in direct straight quotes. (As you said, I don't think many of us have experienced that.) Similar things are portrayed in movies like Star Wars or even Field of Dreams, but maybe not of such a higher order.

2) the chatter or arguing back and forth of various levels or strata of the mind, like when we are weighting out a decision to be made, or trying to decide what exactly we want to say.. I pity the poor clairaudient who has to listen to that!

3) Out conscience, often depicted as the guy on our shoulder whispering into our ear.

From what I've read here, mostly it is number three being discussed. Only once in my life have I actually heard clear voices in my head. it was kind of eery. I heard a some singing as if listening to the radio, but the radio wasn't on. then when I turned on the actual radio, I heard the same singing. All night I had had weird astrally dreams, and I just figured my astral stuff had somehow tuned into a particular wavelength. But I soon forgot about that one. Wasn't important. Number 3 is more important to be able to tune into.

Aum Namasivaya