PDA

View Full Version : God Breaks?

Tirisilex
23 October 2010, 07:02 PM
I was listening to a Christian Radio station today.. This Guy come on and he talks about how he got some sort of disability and that God healed him of this disability. This I have no problem with.. But we he said after is what made me say.. WHAT?

He said that God breaks people just so he can show his Glory..

So.. There is this Doctor.. He's Top of the line can fix almost any disease.. But he's not recognized.. So He grabs a Baseball Bat goes out finds a "recipient" breaks this persons legs.. Then rushes them to his Clinic calling the news station about how he's gonna help this poor person.. Gets them to the clinic mends the Broken Bones and tells the New people about how much of a Hero he is..

Make any sense to you??

sanjaya
23 October 2010, 10:20 PM
Heh, I guess it does sound funny out of context. Christians speak their own language, so this stuff rarely makes sense to the rest of us. But I think that in this case, the person you heard was talking about God letting people see all that is wrong with themselves, so that God can get the glory by alleviating their sufferings.

ScottMalaysia
24 October 2010, 08:58 AM
Well, in the Book of Exodus, it is stated that God hardened Pharaoh's heart so that He could perform miracles in Egypt. Hardening Pharaoh's heart eventually led to his death in the Red Sea. (See the first part of the Book of Exodus)

Eastern Mind
25 October 2010, 01:18 PM
I was listening to a Christian Radio station today..

Vannakkam Tirisilex: Why?

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
25 October 2010, 01:44 PM
That point seems kind of redundant, if you ask me. If I can assume that ALL things come from and through God, then why would you even need to state that God would "break you" in order to "make you"? Surely that fellow couldn't have even been born with a disability were it not for God's will!

Tirisilex
25 October 2010, 09:13 PM
A persons disability does not come from God.. It comes from the past Karma of the Individual.

If all things come from God then a Wrongful Act would be OK.. after all.. It's Gods Will..

To think all things are from God I think is faulty.. This in turn would cause people to Blame God for there deficiencies.

NayaSurya
25 October 2010, 10:13 PM
Just another sadly sadly mistaken individual, but he's a sleeper so it should be expected. I do not understand why they must torture themselves so much, it makes me sad for them.

These are the same people who believe this world is torture and that a "Heavenly mansion" waits for them filled with every worldly thing they desire.

I don't think God would have to be faulty to send us here with a disability. He is We...and so We sent ourselves here this way.

I have met thousands of beings on this planet and I can say for a fact that I have yet to meet a perfectly, wholy functioning individual. So if God broke anything, he broke us all. Perhaps broke isn't even the word for it, as we all have these flaws in varying degrees.

Every single person, even the most beautiful, perfect athelete has some sort of "disability".

Some disabilities, such as cold hearted indifference or ignorance are easier to hide than the crippled child's deficiency. If given the choice I would choose such an obvious disability over blind minded ignorance a thousand times over.

As one who has cared for such obviously disabled beings I would say sometimes...the karma isn't perhaps their's to work off at all...but the people around them. Who knows specifically how the wheels of Karma will turn?

A person who is cruel to a disabled person may then find themselves the recipient of such deformity in another life? A person cruel to a disabled person may come back and find the most cherish and loved person in their universe suddenly incapacitated in such a way? Wouldn't the lesson be learned either way?

God breaks himself to know such things first hand, and I am the harbinger, the mother, the lover, the care giver, and always compassionate when treading beside such beloved beings. For every piece is Beloved Shiva...and every piece just as beloved as the next.

Sadly, I see being Christian as a disability in the same way this man would see a crippled child broken. It's hard to become aware to the light and truth of Sanatana Dharma through such a narrow angled vision. Not impossible... but as with any disability, it is something one would have to learn to overcome certain aspects in order to move forward.

sunyata07
26 October 2010, 05:44 AM
To think all things are from God I think is faulty.. This in turn would cause people to Blame God for there deficiencies.

I do not say that God takes some kind of perverse pleasure in willing everything in the universe, even the very harrowing things of existence like physical disabilities and mental illnesses. But as Nayasurya points out, He already is us, willed that there are consequences to every one of our actions according to the laws of the universe He is manifest. Karma, in other words, yes. It is a mistake also to think God is the cause of only good, because He is beyond even such things as pleasure/pain, wholesomeness/corruption - this sort of thinking encourages a dualist view, and may even give rise to thinking there is some sort of inherent Satanic force that openly opposes God in wanting to cause pain, which is of course, nonsense.

Many people blame God for their deficiences. I know too many who curse God when things go badly for them, and forget Him when they are given great fortunes and opportunities. I don't even think one even needs to receive such gifts - to be breathing is miracle enough. I always felt it was one of the sillier reasons to cite being an atheist - that if there really was a God would not cause such suffering in the world, but "step in" to help. Little do they realise that God is there, guiding their hands to help those in need.

I am closer to Nayasurya's philosophy when I say that I don't believe that karma is as necessarily simple as just "reaping what you sow" although this is a good guideline of how it works. Drop a stone into a pool and you can see the ripples that emanate from the impact of your throw. Throw a hundred stones across the surface of the pond and watch how the water churns as the ripples fight and collide with each other! In some cases, the ripples are more violent, in others, the force of an opposing ripple may cancel both out at the same time. I believe this is true of our intertwined actions, but it may be that we will never fully understand the precise mechanism of karmic law. To say a man is born with a severe neurological and intellectual disability in this life because he sinned in his past one is not something I would reject outrightly - but what can we say of his mother who refused to heed her doctor's advice in avoiding alcohol over the term of her pregnancy? Will fault be placed solely on the innocent born into this world to be given a second chance, only to be cursed with even worse conditions than when they left it as some sort of punitive justice?

Om namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
26 October 2010, 06:43 AM
Drop a stone into a pool and you can see the ripples that emanate from the impact of your throw. Throw a hundred stones across the surface of the pond and watch how the water churns as the ripples fight and collide with each other! In some cases, the ripples are more violent, in others, the force of an opposing ripple may cancel both out at the same time. I believe this is true of our intertwined actions, but it may be that we will never fully understand the precise mechanism of karmic law.

Vannakkam Sunyata: I really like this analogy. I also think Nayasurya's term 'sleeper' shows a great understanding. Reminds me of several times someone yelled, "Wake up!" regarding a social, religious or political state of mind someone was stuck in.

Aum Namasivaya

Tirisilex
26 October 2010, 12:38 PM
"Just another sadly sadly mistaken individual, but he's a sleeper so it should be expected."

NayaSurya are you speaking of me??

Eastern Mind
26 October 2010, 12:58 PM
Vannakkam Tirisilex:

Naya is referring to the Christian Guy on the radio you heard. 'Sleeper' is a polite term for fool, I believe. Instead of just calling the guy an idiot like many of us would love to do, its a recognition that he hasn't woken up to the greater reality yet. Some would say a young soul. Others might say far worse. I kind of like it as a way of describing someone like this nutcase.

Aum Namasivayahttp://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Adhvagat
26 October 2010, 01:19 PM
jiv jago, jiv jago, gauracanda bole
kota nidra jao maya- pisacira kole

:)

hehehe

NayaSurya
26 October 2010, 01:22 PM
Please read the whole post again, as I was speaking of the christian, the one from your original post. The ones who believe that we hurt ourselves only for some other being to magically heal us...as in your doctor analogy.

NayaSurya
26 October 2010, 01:27 PM
jiv jago, jiv jago, gauracanda bole kota nidra jao maya- pisacira kole

:)

hehehe

I sing Jago Maa Jai Maa these past weeks, but She and I both know...it is I who often prefer to sleep.:o

So then I say wake me of this dream.

Tirisilex
26 October 2010, 02:57 PM
Phew.. I wasn't sure.. I thought you were speaking of him but I was like.. What if he's speaking of me?