PDA

View Full Version : Shiva Parvati Kalyanam?

peace4all
25 October 2010, 03:27 AM
Namaste,
I'm trying to find out when is Shiva Parvati Kalyanam Celebrated/Observed

Aum Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
25 October 2010, 01:12 PM
Vannakkam peace4all: I don't know the answer but welcome to these forums. Somebody should know here. You mean this year, or in general, season wise. Hindu festivals vary on the Gregorian calendar year to year.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
25 October 2010, 01:16 PM
Vannakkam again. I didn't know what it was but apparently its done during Sivaratri which varies (usually only by one day) according to different calendars. Here's an example place where I got the info.

http://hindupad.com/hindu-festivals-auspicious-days/shivaratri-2010-maha-shivratri-date-in-2010/

Aum Namasivaya

peace4all
04 November 2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks Eastern Mind and sorry for the late reply,
I understand that one of the reason we celebrate shivaratri is after "samudra manthan" , Lord Shiva drank "Haalaa Hala"(to save universe)and devotees observe fasting on this day
Now I'm bit confused, about shiva parvati kalyanam the next day of this haalaa hala consumption

Please, forgive me if I mention something incorrect

realdemigod
14 December 2010, 11:18 AM
peace4all - I have read quite a few excerpts and articles on stories from scriptures and parts of the scriptures themselves. In my experience I haven't come across any which shows the timeline of events chronologically. They are just mentioned in a way to complete a story or event. Some ancient vedic scholars must have pinned down the days or months of some particular events.

I remember reading that even after consuming elixir from the ocean of milk, the gods were defeated repeatedly by the asuras (since they used to pray to Lord Shiva's atma lingam while gods never did). And in the first case Lord Vishnu cheated and never gave elixir to asuras since they were already strong enough to beat gods, giving elixir would only makes things worse. Feeling cheated asuras repeatedly invaded heavens and finally when gods went to Lord Vishnu for help, he suggested only with the child of Lord Shiva and Parvati Devi gods can beat asuras. And so many efforts have gone into incite Lord Shiva's feelings for Parvati Devi by both Vishnu and Brahma. So many events happened which are connected to the marriage. So it's very likely that their marriage couldn't have happened immediately the next day after the manthan.

One profound thing to end with time exists only for us not for Lord Shiva and his creations :)