PDA

View Full Version : Diwali

Maya3
02 November 2010, 10:17 PM
What are you all doing for Diwali?

I'm going to my newly found Temple for celebration on Thursday night.
I'm very excited! I finally found a temple that I like that is near where I live.

Maya

Eastern Mind
03 November 2010, 07:18 AM
Vannakkam Maya: I think we might go to the temple here as well. My wife will for sure. but for me there is another more important festival (for me personally) that starts Saturday, and lasts 6 days until the following Thursday. It is called Skanda Shasti. I will be attempting a complete water fast for it, but we'll see if I get the migraine or not after Day 1 so its subject to change.

Hinduism has so many great festivals, and they vary regionally, and by sect and sampradaya. There are only a few that all Hindus will celebrate in some way.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
03 November 2010, 08:28 AM
Deepavali is the one festival that almost all Hindus celibrate. Makara Sankranti comes on the second place in popularity. Outside Hinduism deepavali has also significance in Jainism, Sikhism and Arya Samaj. If people want to fight for a national Hindu holiday in their country, deepavali seems the most suitable choice, because of it's universality.

Eastern Mind
03 November 2010, 08:36 AM
Deepavali is the one festival that almost all Hindus celibrate. Makara Sankranti comes on the second place in popularity. Outside Hinduism deepavali has also significance in Jainism, Sikhism and Arya Samaj. If people want to fight for a national Hindu holiday in their country, deepavali seems the most suitable choice, because of it's universality.

Vannakkam Sahasranama: True about Deepavali (Divali) for sure. But in all honesty this is the first time I've heard of Makara Sankranti. Sounds like its similar to Thai Pongal in the south. Personally, I would have thought MahaShivaratri, Navratri in some form/name or Ganesh Chaturthi would also have been up there.

If we celebrated ALL the Hindu festivals from every sect and province, all we would ever be doing is celebrating a festival. We'd have to turn it all around and celebrate the non-festival days.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
03 November 2010, 09:02 AM
I have heard this from a friend who comes from South India, I was also suprised to hear Makara Sankranti, but it has a lot of astrological significance.

If we celebrated ALL the Hindu festivals from every sect and province, all we would ever be doing is celebrating a festival. We'd have to turn it all around and celebrate the non-festival days.That's certainly true, every sect has it's own important holidays. Even if one would follow all the holidays in one puranam, like the padma purana, that would mean to celibrate almost the entire year.

It's good though to have something like deepavali to unite all Hindus, because of it's universality even Obama has given a speech on this festival last year. This is something all Hindus can be proud of.

You might be interested in the Shaiva procedures on kedara gauri vratam (deepavali):
http://www.shaivam.org/siddhanta/feskedha.html

kallol
03 November 2010, 10:44 AM
First of all

BEST WISHES, REGARDS AND LOVE

on Dewali (for us Kali Puja).

to all of you and your family, relatives and friends.

Let light win over darkness. Let the lamp show us the way to God.

Yes most of the festivals of India are celebrated across India in different forms.

Pongal - Makar Sankranti, Durga Puja - Navaratri, Deepavali - Dewali - Kalipuja, etc. Depending on the regions some get more popular and others. Some are limited to rural areas in some regions. But it is a saying that we have 13 occassions in 12 months to celebrate.

Love and best wishes

sanjaya
03 November 2010, 11:19 AM
The temple in my hometown actually celebrated Diwali last weekend. They actually put on quite a good show, with a lot of talented dancers and singers. Not sure why we did it early, but I guess I've already had my fun...until Holi anyway.

Happy Diwali everyone!

Eastern Mind
03 November 2010, 12:07 PM

Vannakkam Sahasranama: As it turns out, I will be in Haridwar on the 13th of January, which is either on or about the same time this year as Makara Sankranti - so what should I look out for and how can I participate? Since Kallol said it is the same as Pongal in the south, I am a bit familiar with how its done there. Here we do it in -20 C weather outside boiling a pot over with milk and grains. Needless to say there is a ton of a steam, and sometimes you can't even see the pot. But it is a lot of fun.

Aum Namasivaya

Eastern Mind
03 November 2010, 12:09 PM
The temple in my hometown actually celebrated Diwali last weekend. They actually put on quite a good show, with a lot of talented dancers and singers. Not sure why we did it early, but I guess I've already had my fun...until Holi anyway.

Happy Diwali everyone!

Vannakkam: In the west, because of the Cristian Sunday off thing, a lot of the more liberal temples shift the festivals to the nearest Sunday so more people can come. Kind of sad, but good too in a way.

Aum Namasivaya

sunyata07
03 November 2010, 12:44 PM
I love Diwali. And I agree on its universality - I read somewhere that even Buddhists celebrate Diwali? Anybody know anything more about its significance in other religious traditions? The symbolism of light (knowledge) conquering the darkness (ignorance) is not difficult to interpret, but there are various stories behind Diwali as well - I'm surprised just how many there are, actually.

For myself, I'm probably gonna keep Diwali very simple for myself this year, mostly because a tonne of things, projects, opportunities has suddenly cropped up. Let's just say I've fingers in a lot of pies right now, all thanks to Ganesha for the sudden clearance. In a way, I consider it auspicious to coincide with the new year and the festival of lights. I guess it'll just have to be a short Lakshmi puja and giving a few small gifts to the folks at home.

My local temple is something I plan to get around to. Well, eventually, when things become a little less choatic in my schedule.

Om namah Shivaya.

satay
03 November 2010, 03:42 PM
namaskar,

What are you all doing for Diwali?

Maya

As usual, we will turn all the lights on in and outside of the house, do Laxmi mata puja at home then go visit my parents.

This year I will not be going to the temple though they will have a nice fireworks show as they do every year.

Oh and eat a bunch of sweets... :)

Happy Diwali!

NayaSurya
03 November 2010, 04:33 PM
I held back half of the enormous tub of candy from halloween so that I could give it out this Friday.

Because of our location and issues with voles we have switched from traditional Rangoli to crushed colored chalks. Each of the children make one upon our drive way and then we use soy candles to light them up.

We always have a special meal for the family and I play music throughout the house. The children really look forward to it every year because it is a time of clearing the house...taking all the black and dark purple things down from Halloween and making the house clean and bright.

It's going to be so much fun!

Hugs to you all<3

Maya3
03 November 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks everyone, it's so nice to hear what you are all doing!

I have a question for you. I do what I call Puja's at my home altar. Is it technically called Puja when I do this myself?
Mine are very simple, I offer flowers, water, sweets or fruit and incense. Is this a Puja? Or would it be more correct to say prayers?

Happy Diwali to everyone!

Maya

sunyata07
04 November 2010, 02:47 AM
Namaste Maya,

Puja simply means "adoration". From what I've learned in the last 2 years, puja is still puja whether you or a priest is conducting it. When it is performed at home in front of the family altar, the head of the family (or yourself in this case) is acting as the officiating priest. Prayers are encompassed, naturally, but the offering of food, water, incense, flowers, ec. would still be deemed puja. This is what I've gathered from this forum and elsewhere.

Om namah Shivaya

kallol
04 November 2010, 03:54 AM
Festival of light is celebrated across South and Eastern Asia in different forms (From India to Japan - in most of the countries). Needless to say that the tradition have been carried to these far flung places though the milleneum of cultural influence.

Makar Sankranti is a famous day (though not celebrated as in South Cities) and is celebrated vigorously in rural north. However one can find the difference in Hardawar and particularly with the sanyasis and temples.

Love and best wishes

Maya3
04 November 2010, 07:45 AM
Thank you Sunyata!

Maya

Eastern Mind
04 November 2010, 07:58 AM
Vannakkam Maya: An essential part of puja you should know about but probably already do is preparation. Temple priests do elaborate preparations of breathing exercises, water sipping, hand washing, ash smearing, etc, before they actually begin. The single important key is to shower or bathe beforehand, as it rids the body of dross before entering the shrine room or place of worship. Sometimes the preparation is longer than the puja itself.

Aum Namasivaya

c.smith
04 November 2010, 01:48 PM
Namaskar all and Happy Diwali!

I love this holiday especially because for my Hindu friends it means joining them at the temple to exchange gifts, prayers, and wishes for the coming year. For my non-Hindu friends, they get "initiated" with a box of sweets and a diya - sort of a "christian christmas" of sorts. No matter who, we all have fun and praise our respective God, asking for spiritual wisdom, light, love and the desire for a triumph of good over evil in all aspects of our lives. A true festival to be celebrated!

kd gupta
04 November 2010, 11:13 PM
Very happy diwali to all .

Maya3
05 November 2010, 07:23 AM
Namaskar all and Happy Diwali!

I love this holiday especially because for my Hindu friends it means joining them at the temple to exchange gifts, prayers, and wishes for the coming year. For my non-Hindu friends, they get "initiated" with a box of sweets and a diya - sort of a "christian christmas" of sorts. No matter who, we all have fun and praise our respective God, asking for spiritual wisdom, light, love and the desire for a triumph of good over evil in all aspects of our lives. A true festival to be celebrated!

That is so nice!

Eastern Mind,
I have to admit that I don't bathe or do pranayama before, I often meditate first though.

Washing my hands is a good idea, I should do that from now on.

Maya

Sahasranama
05 November 2010, 07:34 AM
At least, you need to have done your morning bath and before the puja you can wash yourself up quickly or at least wash your hands, feet and clean your mouth.

Maya3
05 November 2010, 11:26 AM
At least, you need to have done your morning bath and before the puja you can wash yourself up quickly or at least wash your hands, feet and clean your mouth.

:)
Thats good, I do take showers occasionally.

Just kidding, that is a good idea.

Maya

sankar
05 November 2010, 11:38 AM

from personal experience, washing feet would also reduce pain in legs while doing meditation, anyway i find it is better to reduce time interval between sleep and meditation to achieve good concentration, so i takes bath after meditation.

Eastern Mind
05 November 2010, 11:53 AM
Vannakkam:

Hindus, in general, are incredibly clean people. Its harder in India, especially in some rural areas, but over here in North America, its really true. So for example, if a person does their morning bath and rituals, and then later in the evening is to attend temple, they wouldn't think about not showering again. Its just custom - the way it is. At least this is what I have observed.

Aum Namasivaya

Shanti
05 November 2010, 02:41 PM
We have lights up in our house and in the evening I'll put some outside. I wanted to make the day fun for the kids so we had plans to do rangoli, make some diwali crafts, make cookies, visit friends with sweets to as gifts. I have presents for the kids. In the evening, we would do a small puja then go outside with sparklers and small firecrackers.

Unfortunately one of my kids just started feeling sick today and now all of our plans (except the puja) are on hold.

~S

Ramakrishna
05 November 2010, 03:11 PM
Namaste,

For every single Diwali up to this point in my life, my family would do puja and pray at the home shrine then light diyas and put them around the house in every room before taking them outside. I knew that tradition would end for me this year since I'm at college, but it wouldn't have happened even if I was home, since my parents are in Guyana right now.

Today I will just be doing lots of praying and meditation, listen to bhajans and aarti, then do a puja. It's a Friday, so most people will be out and about and the dorm should be pretty quiet and peaceful.

Happy Diwali to all!

Jai Sri Krishna

Ramakrishna
05 November 2010, 03:16 PM
I have a question for you. I do what I call Puja's at my home altar. Is it technically called Puja when I do this myself?
Mine are very simple, I offer flowers, water, sweets or fruit and incense. Is this a Puja? Or would it be more correct to say prayers?

Namaste Maya,

Just to add to the great answers you've been given already, a puja can be as short and simple or as long and complex as you want it to be. It could be as simple as offering a few flowers to the deity (which is what a college student like myself is resigned to doing) or it could be a literally hours-long ritual with elaborate offerings.

Ultimately, what matters is the bhakti that goes into it.

Jai Sri Krishna

sankar
05 November 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks everyone, it's so nice to hear what you are all doing!

Happy Diwali to everyone!

Maya

there is few nice stories related to this.....

During his hunting rituals in the forest, one day he was drawn in a particularly distant direction by an animal he was determined to shoot. There, he found a beautiful Shiva lingam that he instantly felt attracted to. A small temple was constructed by his hunter friends for the Shiva lingam that Kannappan had found. Kannappan had not learnt any rituals of worship, but he was imbued with a deep sense of devotion to this deity. He loved the Shiva lingam so much, that he wanted to worship it everyday. Every day after hunting, he would carry whatever meat he had hunted, to the Shiva lingam as an offering. Since he was concerned that Shiva would feel thirsty after eating the meat, he also wanted to carry water. A hunter does not carry any drinking bowls while hunting. So Kannappan had only one other choice – to carry water from the river in his mouth and then spit it out on the Shiva idol signifying an offering of water. These actions would normally be construed as disrespect to the deity, but Kannappan’s heart was so pure that the Shiva lingam accepted all his offerings.

source - Kannappa Naayanar (http://ourdharma.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/203/)

Another story

Once a poor man, named vidura, who was living in a cottage, learnt that Sri Krishna had come, he was beside himself with joy. He had nothing to give, because the coming of Sri Krishna was sudden, and Vidura knew nothing about it. He could not keep anything ready. He had nothing, literally. The only thing that he had was pure water, with which he washed the feet of the honoured guest, made him seated and in an ecstasy of joy, spoke in a choked voice : "Lord, how are you? How came you here?" The story that we hear in this connection is something touching indeed. Vidura had nothing to offer Krishna except some plantain fruits. In his joy, which made him lose his body-consciousness, he offered the peels to Krishna and threw the pith away, not knowing what he was doing. Such was the delight he was immersed in, on seeing Krishna in his cottage. Sri Krishna uttered not a word. He went on swallowing the peels. He noted that the plantain stuff was being thrown off, but said nothing.

source - Bhagavan Sri Krishna The Great Incarnation (http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_10b.html)

“Whoever offers Me with devotion a leaf, a flower, a fruit or a little water — that, so offered devotedly by the pure-minded, I accept.” - Bhagavat Gita

so, puja is not about what you offer, love and devotion it matters.

Maya3
06 November 2010, 10:16 AM
Namaste Maya,

Just to add to the great answers you've been given already, a puja can be as short and simple or as long and complex as you want it to be. It could be as simple as offering a few flowers to the deity (which is what a college student like myself is resigned to doing) or it could be a literally hours-long ritual with elaborate offerings.

Ultimately, what matters is the bhakti that goes into it.

Jai Sri Krishna

Thank you!
That's good to know.
Mine are pretty short and most likely not very traditional, but they feel very meaningful.

Maya

Yava Dari
03 September 2011, 07:50 PM
Makar Sankranti is a famous day (though not celebrated as in South Cities) and is celebrated vigorously in rural north.

I from the South (Karnataka) and we do celebrate Sankranti "vigorously" in Karnataka and Andra Pradesh. The festival is called Pongal only in the state of Tamilnadu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makar_Sankranti