PDA

View Full Version : Vamana Avatara

rcscwc
14 November 2010, 11:34 PM
I have never been able to get a rational explanation why Vamana Avatara happened.

Maharaja Bali was a Daitya, no doubt. But he was just and observed all the rules of Dharma. Before him, Prahalad too was a daitya king and was very, very dharmic. But he was not banished, Maharaja Bali was. Why, oh why?

Vamana is a unique avatar. He was the first avatar to be born in a brahmin family, next was Parshurama. Vamana did not kill anyone, latter did.

What was the crime of Maharaja Bali? As a Punjabi brahmin, he was the maryada rajottam. Better kings are hard to find.

I understand that Maharaja Bali has day of worship among S. Indians. My Keralaite neighbours celebrate his day with quite a fanfare. They were surprised to know that we too venerate him!!

Can anyone remove my doubts?

Sahasranama
15 November 2010, 12:24 AM
He was not a punjabi king, he was the king of Sutala, then he conquered the rest of the netherworlds, Atala, Vitala, Sutala, Talatala, Mahatala, Rasatala and Patala. He also conquered the earth and was planning to perform a yajna to defeat the deva lokas.