PDA

View Full Version : Sabarimala: Sri Ayyappa temple

brahman
16 November 2010, 05:36 AM
SWAMI SARANAM AYYAPPA SARANAM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/SabarimalaTemple2.JPG/800px-SabarimalaTemple2.JPG

The Ayyappa temple at Sabarimala will be opened on Tuesday, 16 November 2010, afternoon for the two-month annual Mandalam- Makaravilakku pilgrimage that begins on Wednesday, the first day in the Malayalam month of Vrishcikom.

The rituals will begin with Tantri Kandararu Rajeevaru performing the Ganpathi Homom on Wednesday morning. Ezhikode Sasi Namboodiri of Paingulam Mana, near Cheruthuruthy, in Thrissur district is the new head priest (Melsanthi) of Lord Ayyappa Temple at Sabarimala.

Mandalapuja
The 41-day Mandalam festival will conclude on December 27 and the Mandalapuja will be performed at the temple prior to the Utchapuja. The temple will be closed after the Athazhapuja in the evening.

Makaravilakku
The Ayyappa temple will reopen for the annual Makaravilakku festival on December 30 afternoon. The Makaravilakku festival will be celebrated at the Sabarimala Sannidhanam on January 14.
The ceremonial procession carrying the Thiruvabharanam to adorn the presiding deity at Sabarimala prior to the deeparadhana on the Makaravilakku day will start from the Pandalam Valiyakoickal Sastha temple on January 12.
The temple will be closed after the Athazhapuja on January 19 evening, marking the culmination of the pilgrim season.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Ayyappa. It is situated on the mountain ranges of the Western Ghats at an altitude of 914 meters above sea level, four kilometers uphill from Pamba in Pathanamthitta district of the state. The temple is accessible only by foot.

Swamy Ayyappa Temple (http://www.swamyayyappa.com/)

TIPS ABOUT PILGRIMAGE TO SABARIMALA
• The shrine of Lord Sabarimala Ayyappa is situated in a forest, in Pathanamthitta District of Kerala, close to the boarder with Tamil Nadu. The place is accessible from west through Kottayam, Palai or Pathanamthitta and from the east through Madurai. On western side motorable road is available upto the banks of river Pampa. The last 5 kilometres will have to be covered on foot.
• The shrine at Sabarimala is not open for darshan throughout the year. It remains open for few days close to the end and beginning of each Malayalam Calendar month. This coincides with the middle of each English Calendar Month. Besides, there are few other occassions like Mandala Vilakku (Close to Dec 25th), Onam etc.. The information regarding these days is available in Malayalam newspapers and calendars.
• The most important occassion is Makarasankrant and Makaravilakku (close to Christmas day and mid January)
• Women between the ages of 10 and 50 years are not supposed to visit the shrine.
• The shrine is situated on a lofted platau. There are three entries consisting of eighteen steps each on the eastern, northern and western sides(Front, Left and Back). Entry through the main holy steps in the front is restricted to those carrying the mandatory "Irumudikkettu" (head load of offerings and provisions). It is customary to wear dark clothes - a reminder of Ayyan's expedition. This holy steps are used only twice during a visit namely go and return.
• The devotees are required to break a cocoanut at the appointed place before entry to the steps.
• Pilgrimage to Sabarimala should be undertaken after 41 days of rigorous purifying rituals. These and the journey by beginers should be under the guidance of a veteran referred to as Guruswami.
• Pilgrims visit major temples of Kerala as an accepted custom.
• Although the area is covered by Cellular Telephone service, the use is restricted during main seasons, as the ringing and talking can disturb the contineous chanting of "Swami Saranam."
• Scattering of garbage, especially non-bio degradable, littering, consumption of alcohol & non-vegtarian food, Smoking etc are punishable Offences.
• Information centres and counters are available at important points for assistace to pilgrims, including announcements for paging for individuals separated from their groups.

Swami Saranam, Ayyappa Saranam

Sahasranama
16 November 2010, 06:32 AM
Thank you for posting the information. I am from a north Indian background and was completely unfamiliar with Ayyappa until I had an internet connection. Do you have some information about the significance of Ayyappa in different south Indian sects?

TatTvamAsi
16 November 2010, 06:04 PM
Excellent post Brahman! Thanks.

Sabarimala is one of the few remaining shrines where Hindu Dharma in its purest form is still practiced. And, they make sure they follow all traditions carefully! *cough* *cough* ;)

brahman
19 November 2010, 06:08 AM

That’s true dear SN, we don’t have any information available in the Vedas or any scriptures of the Vedic age. The uniqueness of this pilgrim spot was borne lately. It was a long arduous walk in the earlier periods(even till early sixties) amidst dense forests , almost totally abstaining from material desires and leaving home like a hermit.

Mostly dependent on my intuitions, I would say Lord Sri. Ayyappa is Sri. Dharma-Shasta . Shasta was a cult of syncretism with an attempt to unite the Saivite and Vaishnavites sects of Hinduism in S.india . Though it traces its roots to Thamizhakam (Tamil Nadu) , the other side of Western Ghats (now Kerala) nurtured the cult exclusively .

If the sastha cult was introduced to syncretise sects of Hiduism from separation, the Sri. Ayappa cult was introduced to expel Jains and Buddhists and to prevent (or to ally for communal harmony and to stop a massive impact) the spreading of Islam.

Being a firm practitioner of Nirguna upasana (though not really ritualistic) , its again firmly recorded in me that Lord Ayyappa is Nirakara Moorthy, and so says the words on the sanctum “Tattvamasi” - the essence of the Holy Vedas. The place genuinely exhibits vibrant divine energy, assuring you the truth taught by the scriptures. That experience is beyond my words… I request , lets know these places, visit and share the energy.
One million people undertaking hard penance or vratham (women between the age of 10- 55 not allowed), chanting saranam to the Lord and climbing the hills bare foot over the sharp stones for about 5 hours is a different experience altogether.

Dear TTA,
The Sabarimala Ayyappa temple recorded a total revenue Rs.128.48 crore (1.3 Bn)during the just-concluded Mandalam-Makaravilakku pilgrim season(2009- 2010, 60 days) as against Rs.113.23 crore(1.1 Bn) last season.
The population of Kerala is 30million+ and the pilgrims visit Sabarimala in 60 days would come around 50million+ making it the world’s second largest pilgrim.

....like you said in the above post, there is a chance, but I am not interested TTA, the lord resides in my heart , nothing can taint or disgrace …

These posts are done with public interest and not personal.

Lots of love:)

brahman
21 November 2010, 05:22 AM

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/1083024795_dc2273529c.jpg
LORD AYYAPPA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3181470220_b2743c33cb_z.jpg
A GATE ON THE RAOD TO SABARIMALA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/3181471332_6057cf583d_z.jpg
HOLY RIVER PAMPA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3181455706_6d6d99edac_z.jpg
ROAD TO ADOBE

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1316/1371408646_6dcb9fd2d0_z.jpg
THE SANNIDHANAM

soham3
21 November 2010, 11:04 AM
I visited it. One has to go via Pampa. Place is damn dirty.

RVR
22 November 2010, 02:48 AM
Facilities to Sabarimala pilgrims

at Kottayam Brahmana Samooha Madom

Srinivasa Iyer Road (besides Thirunakkara Temple)

Kottayam – 686 001

0481 – 2566 926

Swamy Saranam

Another Mandalam – Makaravilakku season begins today. As you know, Kottayam is a strategic point as far as pilgrims to Sabarimala are concerned. We, the volunteers at Kottayam Brahmana Samooham, are ready to help you once again in making your trip to Sabarimala a pleasurable and memorable one. At Samooha Madom we have facilities (irrespective of religion, caste, sect etc.) like rooms / dormitories (AC and Non AC), food, toilets, travel arrangements etc. In case any assistance is required please contact well in advance the persons, whose contacts are given below.

Please note that this is purely a voluntary service and not a profit driven one.

Also please keep this mail circulating

Yours at service

Saranam Ayyappa

Ramanathan (Ramji) 0 94473 62569

S. Sankar (Devan) – 0 93495 27765

Umamaheswaran (Mahesh) 0 93878 84646, 0 93880 19898

Ajay Sankar – 0 93884 44458

PRASANTH SRINIVAS B.Com., F.C.A, A.I.C.W.A, D.I.S.A (ICAI)
Partner
S. S. AYYAR AND CO.
Chartered Accountants, Ajantha, Post Box No. 65,
Thirunakkara West, Temple Road, Kottayam - 686 001
Phone: 0481-2582053, 2582836(O), 2582960(R)
E-mail: srinivas_ssayyar@yahoo.com

brahman
13 January 2011, 12:23 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jTJUgaWfPyI/STnxCjb1bQI/AAAAAAAAAGA/gWVGd9WW8Ak/S1600-R/ayyappaC.jpg

‘Thiruvabharanam’ ,are sacred jewel-studded ornaments in gold, believed to have been offered to the Sabarimala Ayyappa Temple by the king of the erstwhile Pandalam royal kingdom, who was also the foster father of Lord Ayyappa alias Manikanta, centuries ago.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/12/images/2009011251980301.jpgHordes of Ayyappa devotees are visiting Pandalam town to have a glimpse of ‘Thiruvabharanam,’ the sacred jewellery, kept at the Pandalam Palace.

It has been a custom since then to decorate the Ayyappa idol at Sabarimala with the sacred jewellery on the Makaravilakku day that usually falls on the first day in the Malayalam month of Makarom.

The Thiruvabharanam has been kept in the safe custody of the Pandalam palace and the temple authorities used to take the sacred jewellery to Sabarimala in a ceremonial procession for the Makaravilakku festival every year. The sacred ornaments were kept in three specially designed sandal wooden boxes for carrying them on head all the way to the Sabarimala Sannidhanam.

http://www.hindu.com/2009/01/13/images/2009011354580501.jpg

‘Makarajyoti' darshan

Makarajyoti, a celestial star, will rise on the eastern horizon of the Sannidhanam, followed by the flickering of a bright flame thrice on a distant hilltop after the Deeparadhana. A Kalabhabhishekom marking the culmination of the Neyyabhishekom offering during the Makaravilakku festival will be performed prior to the Utchapuja on January 18.

The Guruti ritual to propitiate the ‘Bhoothagana' of Lord Ayyappa will be performed at Malikappuram on January 19 evening.

The Ayyappa temple will be closed after the exclusive customary holy darshan by the royal representative at 7 a.m. on January 20.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/19394.jpg

sm78
18 January 2011, 10:53 PM
I think it is time to re-awaken this thread from a non-devotional, non-sentimental perspective. After the incredible apathy shown by the Kerala Christist govt in managing the event which indirectly lead to the death of more than 100 people, here is a further tit bit from Rajeev (one of my favorite blogger). There is no pardon from even God for stupidity and I fail to understand the devotional frenzy to temples which are clearly under control of enemies of Hinduism. Gods and deities reside everywhere, last time I criticized this emotional devotional frenzy w.r.t another well known temple also in the hand of Christist conspirators, there was ridicule. In the past I used to be proud of this display of devotion, but now I think it is a mammoth display of collective stupidity.
If you really are a person who is unable to get beyond sentimental devotional ism, consider this incident a clear signal from Ayappan, that he is not happy with the crores of money being wasted and given to Anti-Hindu elements to fund their activities through his medium. He is trapped by the enemies and you devotees are just happily throwing coins at his situation. Is this right devotion? Or is this sentimentalism? I am not sure, but it is devoid of intelligence and right thinking for sure.

according to this article from 'mangalam' newspaper, the total income received by the kerala govt every year is rs. 3000 crore.

total amount spent on all 1208 temples under travancore devaswom board: rs 80 lakhs! yes, less than 1 crore!

(i have read elsewhere -- it's on google -- that the take from direct contributions by pilgrims into the hundi alone is rs. 131 crore).

astonishing, isn't it?
http://rajeev2004.blogspot.com/2011/01/sabarimala-is-kerala-govts-milch-cow.html

Eastern Mind
19 January 2011, 11:55 AM
the event which indirectly lead to the death of more than 100 people,

Vannakkam: Something's wrong with this picture, but I have yet to get a clear intuitive feeling of what it is. At Palani I met a very nice Ayappan devotee on his way home to Coimbatore from Sabrimalai, and stopping in Palani on the way. Because of hernia, he had to ride up the rope car. We had a very pleasant conversation (one of a rare breed who can speak English well down there in deep Dravidian territory) , and after the Palani cart passed he went and got his whole family pilgrimage group to introduce us to them. He was by no means an idiot, in fact he was an engineer. But I've always noticed a 'different' vibration to Ayyappan. Still have not the intuitive understanding to really grasp the difference. One thing for sure though just from observation ... there is a lot of rushing and yelling going on. Maybe its the restrained testosterone of 40 days of celibacy coming out. But in many ways it is the antithesis of peacefulness, at least during the pilgrimage process. perhaps when it is over, there is great peace. I have not had the opportunity to observe that.

When you go to some huge temple like Madurai or Tiruchendur, and off in some vague corner in the labyrinth of stone, you see some chap sitting in still meditation, it is certainly a stark contrast to the Ayappan or Murugan guys running or rolling. To each his own I guess.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
19 January 2011, 05:43 PM
Those are depressing statistics. Is this only happening in kerala or everywhere in India?

Eastern Mind
19 January 2011, 06:06 PM
Those are depressing statistics. Is this only happening in kerala or everywhere in India?

Vannakkam Sahasranama: I'm no Indian but from my limited understanding Keral has an extremely strong Christian and communist influence going on. I know here the Malayalee Association is dominated entirely by Christians. And they're very strong in their anti-Hindu sentiments. In a mixed marriage I told of before, the parents couldn't force themselves in any way to even attend the Hindu portion of the wedding. (Note how Christianity affects family disharmony) They built a nice large hall for social use but Hindu weddings certainly won't be held there.

However, identifying the problem and doing some about it seems quite distanced. Suffice it to say, my tourist or pilgrimage dollars won't be going into Hundis anytime soon. I suppose some awareness campaign could be taken up, to let all the pilgrims know of what we term here as a 'stupid-tax', like gambling is - a tax set aside just for stupid people.

http://www.kerala-tourism.org/religion-in-kerala/index.html (Note the reference to AIT in this article.)

Aum Namasivaya

sm78
20 January 2011, 12:18 AM

Control and use of Hindu temple funds by anti-hindu govt is going on everywhere, but probably more marked in ideologically anti-hindu christist state governments e.g Kerala, Tamil Nadu, NE etc. The Kangress govts are not ideologically anti-hindu, they just play for vote bank.

In other states where Hindus have a capacity to unite and throw out an anti-hindu christist govt (though Hindu's never unite, the philanderer karunanidhi seem like will be ruling for ever in Tamil Nadu, soom TN may become the 2nd Kerala), but such a thing is impossible in Kerala - its too late. Hindu's are a minority there and the clever ones had chosen marxism.

But my greater cause of frustration is lack of any sensible thinking on the part of the hindus. We still donate thousands of crores of rupees to these temples and they are used against us. If the common man cannot, the hindu leaders and acharyas must have the right mind and courage to discourage devotional frenzy which is only fattening the enemies. Traditions are only good when they are useful. When the purpose is lost and is counter-productive, it is stupidity to encourage such behaviour. The massive frenzy I have witnessed in the Ayappan season for last 4 years here in various parts of south India have not impressed me ... we go mad on a few days of the year, while churches and ministries mushroom every day - perhaves funded by the same money the hindu devotee had donated in the hundi of some temple.

@EM: I have not been to Ayappan temple and I will probably never be. Same goes for Tirupati temple - another temple (richest) which has been breached by Christists. I also find it a sham that we cover our temples and deities in gold while our fellow hindus go hungry and the hundi money goes in helping them to Christianity.

I am not a traditional person. The only places I find solace are the shiva kshetras because most of them are still un-touched by mass frenzy and christist conspirators. Though I immensely like Vishnu, I prefer to worship him in my home on saligrama.

Kerala has extremely nice private temples still pristine. Kerala shakti kshetras seem powerful to me and there is generally nobody around.

sm78
20 January 2011, 12:41 AM
One thing for sure though just from observation ... there is a lot of rushing and yelling going on. Maybe its the restrained testosterone of 40 days of celibacy coming out. But in many ways it is the antithesis of peacefulness, at least during the pilgrimage process. perhaps when it is over, there is great peace. I have not had the opportunity to observe that.

When you go to some huge temple like Madurai or Tiruchendur, and off in some vague corner in the labyrinth of stone, you see some chap sitting in still meditation, it is certainly a stark contrast to the Ayappan or Murugan guys running or rolling. To each his own I guess.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste, I generally find it difficult to criticize someone because of their philosophy, theology or practices alone. I don't know much about the spiritual significance of Ayappan pilgrimage, may be it was a great practice.

However, since you bring up the point, once a year sudden 40 day celebacy doesn't ring with me. But then I also do not believe and practice devotionalism.

Sahasranama
20 January 2011, 01:10 AM
Isn't this 40 day celibacy thing borrowed from the Catholics?

The situation looks horrible, lack of Hindu unity is a big problem in politics.

sm78
20 January 2011, 06:03 AM
Isn't this 40 day celibacy thing borrowed from the Catholics?

Could very well be, they have this Lent period commencing 40 days to Easter when people take all sorts of vows for preparation. This sounds like exactly the same idea. Given very early Catholic & Syrian Christian influence on Kerala - it could have percolated to this festival.

Most vratas practiced by Hindus now are regional in nature and often have very strange stories and practices. In WB the usual satyanarayan vrata katha has a story of a muslim peer who reveals himself has vishnu to the brahmin. Some ass**** invented the story and popularized it among Hindus, probably a hundred years ago. But Hindu's in bengal, even qualified purohits gladly read it to placate Vishnu. It is such complete lack of thought that gets me crazy. Worship without sincerity and understanding is just drama.

Anyway, Sabrimala Ayyappan concepts are all very strange to be - its a strange concoction of many things. However just because it bars menstruating women from attending, someone was claiming it to be an ancient orthodox practice.

However, whatever be the origin of Ayyappan (inspired by the puranic story of union of vishnu/mohini and shiva), it is very encouraging. Like all avataar stories, its about victory of good over evil.

But I doubt if that concept of victory over evil is ever in the mind of any devotee. The wikipedia site tells, the sabrimala pilgrimage cures afflictions of Shani. Given the power and spell of Shani over Hindus, that probably explains why half of those people visited the place.

brahman
05 February 2011, 04:43 AM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kiJCeX_I/AAAAAAAAAvE/EGLgtyxCgIA/s512/4710759259_016ea4ed8e_b.jpg
HOLY 18 STEPS

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0k9rhow3I/AAAAAAAAAvk/sRrH6p7mx7g/s640/DONKEYS%20SABARIMAL.jpg
SOME DONKEYS AT SABARIMALA

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kmFXZ90I/AAAAAAAAAvI/wN96-AHZ_tM/s720/5009004168_cfa72ecf75_b.jpg
OLD CART CALLED DOLI

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kxwfsnLI/AAAAAAAAAvg/adtVQEnG_2k/s720/5018668541_e315d5a726_b.jpg
AN OLD MAN CARRIED TO THE SHRINE

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0ks_ZWrbI/AAAAAAAAAvc/lQkBpiOVIWM/s720/5016474436_53b16ff138_o.jpg
A NICE WATERFALLS NEAR THE SHRINE

brahman
05 February 2011, 04:49 AM

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0j-91HMaI/AAAAAAAAAug/PvigNDm_n5s/1790435894_e61c9bdd03_z.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kCtHPGRI/AAAAAAAAAuk/w9es-Bx23LI/2052575367_1e111e8ade_z.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kFVgL02I/AAAAAAAAAuo/nDAuQEt646c/2134499407_a5907b3c74_z.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kYfB1MNI/AAAAAAAAAvA/mHOChnKGwpc/3181465432_ff350feaa1_z.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0kVEPYHgI/AAAAAAAAAu8/tUpD576RLxw/3181454738_8271d3f51e_z.jpg

brahman
05 February 2011, 04:58 AM

Procession of 'Thiru-Aabharanam' (Sacred Ornaments of Lord)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0lJuZX79I/AAAAAAAAAv0/BdQpPpPuxcE/DSCN6406.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0lUNXqZdI/AAAAAAAAAv8/hSnyC1nrT9o/DSCN6538.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0ljwxXo4I/AAAAAAAAAwA/OBkKSKE6zz0/DSCN6564.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0l4gqLIqI/AAAAAAAAAwM/Wg0iz0K_GTo/DSCN6656.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/TU0muSGRD6I/AAAAAAAAAwk/I1ue61gcqh0/DSCN6842.jpg

brahman
28 February 2011, 03:44 AM

Dear members, acknowledge your contributions.

One more pilgrimage season at Sabarimala has come to an end. This year witnessed a heavy rush of pilgrims compared to last year. These are all blessings.

I would like to review this onrush as a sacrifice. The pilgrims trek to the temple atop the Sabari-hill under faith and devotion. People who reside in towns, cities, villages, flats and houses, all follow the same path of austerity, and pray together.
They give up the life of comforts (at least for a limited period) to gather at the hill shrine. Surrender unto the lord, which is the crux of their faith.

If so, let us intentionally overlook the disasters that have happened there, and not criticise the lack of facilities.
Or let us pray such mishaps never happen again.

What we seek, or what we think and believe is what is important.
Let us ask ourselves-Are the devotees fortunate and happy?
If that is faith that connects them from far and wide, that faith itself leads them to bliss.
Faith- the core principle of any doctrines, so the Sanadhana Dharma.

A smooth pilgrimage to the shrine of Lord Sabarimala Ayyappa next year, we patiently await an another most revered religious season in His Grace.

Lots of love:)

brahman
15 November 2011, 11:24 AM

The annual two-month-long Mandalam-Makaravilakku season at Sri. Sabarimala Lord Ayyappa temple is all set to begin on the first day of Malayalam month of Vrichikam on Thursday 17 November 2011. }}} (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/sabarimala-temple-to-open-on-november-16/202528-60-116.html)

How to prepare }}} (http://www.google.co.in/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=sabarimala+pilgrim+rules&pbx=1&oq=sabarimala+pilgrim+rules&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=912l4986l3l5126l14l10l0l3l3l0l1281l7100l6-4.3l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=e1aa454f55f13c45&biw=1280&bih=675)

[CENTER]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N-BnD9I7GdY/TsKe4zcGMfI/AAAAAAAAAHE/234xRB6hegM/s658/sabarimala1.jpg

A 1942 picture by Sri. Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma, seniormost member of Travancore's erstwhile royal family (Trivandrum) during his brothers’(who was then King of Travancore) visit to the Holy shrine.

brahman
16 November 2011, 04:21 AM

The associated rituals of Sri. Lord Ayyappa reflect the strong influence of the traditions from Shivam, Vaishnavam, Buddhism and Jainism. The name, Dharma Shastha and the prayer song "Swamiye Saranam" strongly indicate the influence of Buddhism in Ayyappa worship. The Vrath and strict code of conduct including the dietary restrictions (Vegetarian) can possibly due to the influence of Jainism in the Deep South.

The seeker undertakes the pilgrimage to liberate the human soul from the worldly possessions with great determination, devotion and dedication. During the journey to Sri. Sabari Hills the devotees recite "Swamye Saranam; Ayyappa Saranam" (Thou protect me and I surrender). The minds of the devotees are filled with the thought of Ayyappa and devotees call and recognize each other by the name of Ayyappa! Everyone seems to dress alike, look alike, talk alike and think alike! Every devotee becomes a Karma Yogi, Jnana Yogi and also a Bhakti Yogi! The only Karma (action) left for the Devotee is to reach the Sanctum Sanctorum of the Sabari Hill Ayyappa. The Devotee has the wisdom to dissolve the identity of Jeeva (Ego) by filling up the mind with the name and form of Ayyappa. The Devotee purifies the mind through total dedication and surrender to Swami Ayyappa.

The perfect culmination of Karma, Jnana and Bhakti Yogas is visible and the devotees don't care which of the three is dominant over the other two. Their level of experience has already gone beyond intellectual perception and limitation. Suddenly all plurality starts dissolve and the ego starts melt like the butter. Devotees experience the taste of Bliss and all of them merge to become ONE. What they see, hear, touch, smell and taste is Ayyappa and only Ayyappa. All their desires totally merged into only one desire to reach and surrender to Ayyappa. The sound of "Swamiye Saranam! Ayyappa Saranam!" fills the air giving the feeling their journey is eternal and they have the great determination to find and merge with the Truth.

When the human perception reaches the higher levels beyond the physical limitation, inner peace emerges with the protection by the recitation sound of Ayyappa. The devotees of Sri. Ayyappa are able to realize perfect harmony between the Karma (body), Jnana (mind) and Bhakti (spirit). The Sabari Hills becomes a Concert Hall filled with the musical haromony of Karma, Jnana and Bhakti. The performers, the performance, and listeners become unified and experience the taste of Bliss. During this eternal journey, on the night before the Makara Sankranthi day (Middle of Januray - Full Moon Day) hundreds of thousands of those pilgrims go to foot of the Sabari Hills to get a glimpse of the Divine Jyothi, a brilliant light that raises over the Kantha hill (adjacent to the Sabari Hill). Devotees consider this Jyothi to be a symbol of eternal Brahman in the form of Lord Ayyappa, the highest spiritual consciousness. Nobody can either confirm or deny that this is true and such Divine incidents are unexplainable and are beyond human perception!

The Makarasankaranthi is an auspicious day corresponds to the time period when sun passes the winter solstice (one of the two points on the ecliptic at which its distance from the celestial equator is greatest and which is reached by the sun each year).

The pilgrims visiting on this occasion undertake strict and rigorous preparations. They start with a 'Vrath' (pledge for religious observance) lasting for forty-one days, starting from the middle of November. All wear black or saffron clothes and thulasi, rudraksha beads, and strictly observe their daily rituals. The devotees observe austerities and self-control on those days. They eat pious vegetarian food, drink non-alcoholic beverages, and pray Swamiye Saranam. Before starting the pilgrimage to Sabari Hills, each devotee prepares an Irumudi (A bag with two separate compartments and with two knots) for the long and strenuous journey through jungles. The front compartment contains the ghee-filled coconut and the other one includes food and personal belongings. The devotee walks by foot all the eight miles from the shore of the Pampa river to Swami Sannidhanam (the open hall in front of the Sanctum Sanctorum), crosses the eighteen steps and pours the ghee over the idol of the Lord Ayyappa.

brahman
16 November 2011, 11:32 PM

Advance Q-Placement Coupon

This facility is provided by the Department of Police-Kerala ,as a part of Crowd Management which in turn saves precious time of the Pilgrims. }}} (http://sabarimala.keralapolice.gov.in/en/q-coupon.html)

shian
17 November 2011, 08:28 PM
I dont know in Buddhism, Lord Ayyappa is who .... and i want to know
Yes maybe many peoples said this is not important thing, but for me its make me joy to see all the play of Baghavan !

Well i wish i can go to India sometimes, and i wish i can go with my parents, with them visited so many Hindu and Buddha sites.

is already a long time i thinking about India and want to go there.

my dear all HDF friends, if you kind, please pray for me in front of Lord when you doing puja., said :"I wish my HDF friend, Shian from Indonesia, can visit India with his parents." :)

Thank you

brahman
22 November 2011, 02:57 AM

Sri Mad Gita and 18 steps

The Eighteen Steps to the Path of Liberation:The eighteen steps of the temple Sanctorum represent the necessary Spiritual Sadhana to go Beyond human perception. This is the symbolic path of the Realization of Truth and potentially, there are infinite explanations.
The eighteen chapters of Gita appear to be the most pertinent explanation of the eighteen steps of Sabari Hill Temple. While crossing each of the eighteen steps to the Ayyappa Swami Sannidhanam, the Seeker expresses great determination to relinquish the sensual perceptions one by one. The necessary Sadhana to prepare the mind, body and intellect to remove the sensory perceptions are beautifully described in the eighteen chapters of Bhagavad Gita. The crossing of the eighteen steps symbolic completion of Sadhanas stated in the eighteen chapters of Gita.

Chapter 1 : The Seeker's status of mind - Confusion, Fear and Misery - Seeks help from Guru.
Chapter 2: Seeker asks the Guru to explain the Truth of Human Life sThitaPrajnA Yagna - Conversation between Arjun and Sri. Krishna)
Chapter 3: Guru explains the path of Karma Yoga.
Chapter 4: Seeker learns the principles behind the Sanyasa Yoga.
Chapter 5: Seeker understands the importance of renunciation of selfish Desires.
Chapter 6: Seeker learns the Sadhana of Meditation to control the mind.
Chapter 7: Guru teaches the Seeker the ways and means of living without desires.
Chapter 8: Guru illustrates the importance of restraining the nine-gated city of human body.
Chapter 9: Seeker learns to divert the attention away from the ego-centered consciousness to the Divine Planes transcendental knowledge.
Chapter 10: Guru teaches the Buddhi Yoga Sadhana to control the Mind and the senses.
Chapter 11: Seeker understands the essence of Bhakti Yoga Sadhana and direct complete attention to God while carrying out the duties.
Chapter 12: Seeker learns to Devote and Contemplate and gets the qualities of a True Devotee.
Chapter 13: Guru describes the qualities of a True Jnanai with Total Wisdom.
Chapter 14: Seeker learns the Sadhana of Perfection and the qualities of a Perfect Yogi.
Chapter 15: Guru teaches the Yoga of Supreme Person to the Seeker.
Chapter 16: Seeker learns to acquire the True Human Nature with the presence of Divinity.
Chapter 17: Guru teaches the fundamentals of the Yoga of the Threefold Division of Faith.
Chapter 18: Seeker regains the memory and renounces the egocentric desires.

It is possible to explain the connection between the eighteen chapters of Gita and the eighteen steps of the Ayyappa temple. The devotees of Sri Ayyappa believe that the Gita verse 66 in Chapter 18 is a direct reference to Dharma Shasta. Dharma Shasta establishes the Dharma and the entire Gita describes the importance of human Dharma and the only way to abaondon the Dharma is surrendering to unto Lord.

Sarvadharman Parityajya Mamekam Saranam Vraja;
Aham Twaam Sarve Papebhyo Mokshayishayami Ma Sucha
(Abandon Worldly Dharmas and Surrender to Me; I Shall Rescue You From Sins and Sorrows).

This verse is commonly present in all Ayyappa temples and the devotees treat this verse as a direct commandment from Dharma Shasta. First line of the verse asks the devotee to abandon worldly Dharmas. Dharmas refer to rules, standards and laws imposed by society to guide material life. The root cause of material life is desires. Sorrows, Sins and Attachments are illusions of lower ignorant consciousness of mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Shian,

All our prayers are there with you and your parents. Prayers to Lord Ayyappa will be answered and you will certainly enjoy the bliss visiting the sacred land Bharat with your parents.

Let you be showered with blessings at the thousands of worship places of all religions here.

My exchange meant to convey that Lord Ayyappa cult has had certain influence of Buddhist traditions, but that does not mean Lord Ayyappa is directly associated with Buddhist Lords.

Let’s focus on the core message of Sabarimala pilgrimage in this thread , and we may deal with Buddhism in ‘other dharma traditions’ (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31) if you don't mind .

God bless you all. LoVE:)

devotee
22 November 2011, 03:06 AM
I dont know in Buddhism, Lord Ayyappa is who .... and i want to know
Yes maybe many peoples said this is not important thing, but for me its make me joy to see all the play of Baghavan !

Well i wish i can go to India sometimes, and i wish i can go with my parents, with them visited so many Hindu and Buddha sites.

is already a long time i thinking about India and want to go there.

my dear all HDF friends, if you kind, please pray for me in front of Lord when you doing puja., said :"I wish my HDF friend, Shian from Indonesia, can visit India with his parents." :)

Thank you

My prayer for you in another thread ! :)

OM

Brahmanyan
22 November 2011, 10:01 PM
Pilgrimage to Sabarimala.
When the call comes from the Lord, everything happens fast. It happened to me in 2008. On Monday 18th of February, 2008, we returned from Sabarimala after having had the Dharshan of Lord Sri Ayyappa. It all happened so quickly I could not believe how I made it. It all started when my brother-in-law informed that he would be going to the Holy Sabarimala during the monthly opening of the Temple during this Malayalammonth of "Kumbam", with the group of devotees who go with him regularly. He was visiting the Temple for the past 26 years. My eight year old grand daughter Sharada, who was regularly watching a serial on the Lord Ayyappa in TV , wanted to have the Dharshan of the Lord in Sabarimalai. Child's words are God's command. Then my son agreed to take her along with the group. This rekindled my desire to visit the Temple for the third time. But now I am 77 and have high BP. This made me apprehensive whether I would be able to climb the hills with out problem. My Doctor gave the clearance and other members of the family encouraged me to take the pilgrimage.

We got Rail too without much difficulty. My grand daughter, son and I joined the group at for the Pooja and "irumudi" before starting. We proceeded to Chengannur, the nearest rail head for Sabarimala by ] (http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/) and reached the place early next morning. After refreshing ourselves and bath we traveled by the Van prearranged to take us to Pampa at the base of the Holy Hills.
We started the climb at about 10.00AM. The distance from Pampa to the Holy Shrine at the top of Sabarimalais only 4.5 KMS. But it is 60 degree steep climb for about 2.5 KMS. with continuous stone steps and concrete path. The hot sun has heated up the stone steps and concrete path and made difficult for walking bare foot. The progress was slow and after some distance I started feeling the effects of my age and the heat. In spite of the best help from my son and my brother I could not climb the steps continuously. I took rest frequently and proceeded slowly at my own speed. But my only concern was that because of me my grand daughter, son and brother were getting delayed and may not be able to reach the Holy Shrine before it closes at 1.00 PM after the mid day Pooja.

But the intentions of the Lord were different. At about 12.45 noon, when we were just half a kilometer from the Holy Abode of Sri Ayyappa, we got a phone call from my brother in law, that the Temple will be closed at 2.00PM only on that day due to an elaborate Sahsra Kalasabhishekam, that was being performed to the Lord. You can understand my joy which brought tears in my eyes. Even in this age of Kali, miracles do happen, no doubt.

We reached the Holy Abode of Lord Dharma Sastha , and climbed the Eighteen Golden Steps with "Irumudi" and had the Dharshan of Lord Ayyappan at the "karpoora harathi" time. Perhaps I was the only person who could observe the whimsical smile on the beautiful face of Harihara Puthran, in the diffused light of surrounding lamps.

We enjoyed the Dharshan of the Lord in the evening also. Next day early morning we witnessed the "Abhishekam" to the Lord arranged by our group and took his blessings before we left for Pampa on our way back home.

How true are the words of Madhusudana Saraswthi who wrote the Dhyana Slokas for Bagavad Gita, who said:

"Mookam Karoti Vachalam, Pangum Langhayate Girim"

"His grace makes the dumb eloquent, and the cripple cross mountains."

Regards,

Brahmanyan,

Bangalore

brahman
16 December 2011, 12:07 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EAViqbzwc_s/TQIhXOqaacI/AAAAAAAADjA/3wrV8d1lQSY/s1600/ayyappan+%252818%2529.png

The Meditating Yogic posture of Sri Ayyappa represents the Nirguna Brahman.

The rear compartment of the Irumudi symbolizes 'Praarabdha Karma' (accumulated worldly possessions).
The devotee exhausts all the worldly possessions during the journey.
The devotee opens the spiritual eye of the coconut, breaks the coconut and pours the ghee (Atman) onto the idol (Brahman).
At this time, the devotee has detached the ego and worldly possessions. The one develops an attitude of total surrender to the Lord (infinite love for the Lord).
The devotee begs Him to grant the total Unity with the Lord.
This liberation of Atman from Ego and Wordily Possessions is the Message of Vedanta in Symbolic Language.
This Symbolism is flawless and complete. What a beautiful demonstration of the Artistic Perfection of Symbolism in the great land of Sri. Adi. Sankara and Sri. Narayana Guru!

One of the main objectives of this article is to illustrate the hidden treasures underneath the Hindu rituals, customs and traditions. If we take time and efforts to understand the spirit behind those beliefs and traditions it is possible to appreciate and understand the philosophical significance.
The devotees with great faith have neither question nor they seek explanations. Those who question the customs, beliefs and traditions have the responsibility to take time to look and contemplate for the answers. When a westerner wants to know the connection between the scriptures, philosophies, customs, beliefs and traditions, we should also take time to explain to clear their doubts.
Such explanations with contemplation can clear our doubts and doubts of our energetic and enthusiastic children who were born and live outside India. This moral responsibility was visualized by the sages and Seers of the Upanishads and they have provided the answers to almost all questions related to human life.
The land of Great Seers, the God’s own country, Kerala, practices mystic festivals, pilgrimages and rituals to explain the Vedantic Philosophy of Human Life to the common folks of rural India.

The great Gurus like Sri. Adi Sankara, Sri. Naryana Guru, Sri. Chinmayaananda, Sri. Sathyananda Saraswathi, Sri. Nitya Yati, Sri. Jnananda Sarswati, Sri. Karnunakara Guru ,Amrita Puri Amma etc hail from this tiny land understood the unity from such diversities and especially Sri. Sankara's and Narayana Guru’s Advaita doctrines represents this total integration of thoughts, beliefs, customs and traditions. This integration is the purest form of human experience and it can neither be explained nor could be understood logically.