PDA

View Full Version : Agni in Patala and Agnihotra

Sahasranama
16 November 2010, 12:57 PM
Namaste yajvan e.a.

My aunt's father says that when agnivasa is in patala, no agnihotra should be performed. I have never heard of this before. Most scriptures say agnihotra/ samidadhanam is to be performed daily. Maybe this only has to be considered for vishesha yajnas. Any more light on this topic would be appreciated.

HARIHARA RAMASUBRAMANIAN
27 September 2011, 12:53 PM
Namaskaarams.
Clarification on Paathala Agni is attempted here.
Generally for an auspicious homams - as per Muhurtha Chinthamani, we are required to calculate where the Agni resides. For this a computation has been prescribed as under
All Auspicious homams needs to be done during Sukla Paksham (ie. Where the moon grows ie from Amavasai). Hence the counting starts from Prathamai (First day after Pournami).
Say for eg.
Ganapathi homam done on 1st September 2011 being Vinayakar Chathurthi.
Total no of Days = 4 (From Prathamai to Chathurthi)
Add 1 to it = 4+1 =5
The day falls on Thursday. Hence from Sunday compute how many days to Thursday = 5 (bit ambiguous only here – however If anyone can throw light it will be great – I think this is correct by studying the Muhurtha chinthamani – however practical insight is preferred from experts :cool1: )
Total the above both 5+5 = 10
Reduce 4 from the above 10-4 = 6
Divide the same by 3 ; 6/3 and get the reminder.
The reminder 6 divided 3 = 0.
If the reminder is 0 or 3 then it has to be understood that Agni is in Boo Lokam (Earth).
If the reminder happens to 1 or 2 then the Agni resides in Patala Loka (Below Earth)
Implications: While the Agni residing at Boo Lokam (Earth) Favourable:)
If Agni resides in Patala Loka (Below Earth) then its not Favourable.:(
For Agnihotram, Aupasanam and Samithadhanam there is no stipulations as its all nithyakarma
Hope this is useful.