PDA

View Full Version : hariḥ ...

yajvan
18 November 2010, 11:23 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

As of late I have read several definitions on on HDF for the word hari (hariḥ). I thought to offer the following for one's consideration.

ha ह_the Supreme; destroying , removing ; the sparkling of a gem
ra र_acquiring , possessing ;brightness , splendour
i इ___to advance , spread , get about ; to succeed; to arrive at , reach , obtain Hari comes from harati avidyam iti harià - He who (thus) dispels darkness of ignorance. Yet as you would expect there is more to reveal …

As noted above hari is composed of phonemes/sound letters (akṣarāṇām or just akṣara ) ha + ra + i.

ha-kāra¹ pingala varṇa or -the syllable ha means that there is no sense of the body.
Further it is said that sarva varṇa vargottamaṃ¹ meaning -it (ha) is the supreme letter.
ra-kāra teja varṇa sat or the syllable ra is the power of God in the body.
i -kāra śakti da-yaka or the letter i is the life (energy) of God given in you.So another view of ha + ra + i is - hari, who is inhaling your breath. According to Lahiri Mahasaya, hari means 'one who steals'. When the jiva (individuality) stage is stolen from you, the resulting stillness is hariḥ.

praṇām

words

This we call ha-kāra or ha-action as kāra means action, doer
vargottama वर्गोत्तम - chief of class; first

Adhvagat
18 November 2010, 12:21 PM
I also like the expression Hari Om Tat Sat...

Since I don't share the same knowledge as Yajvan I'll just link an wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om_Tat_Sat