PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Sandhya Vandana

Sahasranama
19 November 2010, 07:51 AM
I have had discussion with some pundits. They love to call themselves brahmana, because they are born in brahmana families. I have asked them, do you do Sandhya Vandana? They had no idea what I am talking about. There was a pundit, very proud to call himself brahmana, very respected man, knows elaborate pujas, weddings and other sanskaars. I once asked him some questions about Sandhya Vandana and he looked like I was talking about a ghost. Then, I showed him a video on Sandhyavandana, he got so mad about it. "What kind of crazy puja is this, people touching their head and shoulders?" or "just pick a mala and chant the gayatri what so difficult about that" I am very dissapointed to see that here in the Netherlands, most pundits do not want to hear about Sandhyavandana, but are very proud to call themselves brahmanas, because of family relationships and their profession as priests. There are some books out there written by Surinam pundits about Sandhya, they are nice, but more informal collection of prayers. (Pundits from Netherlands come mostly from Surinam.)

Actually, only after I had a teacher from the Arya Samaja who was from India did I learn about the importance of Sandhya Vandana and Agnihotra for people who have done upanayana sanskaar. He gave me books on the subject and cds he recorded himself. Later I learned the procedure from books and videos from south India, because their prayogas are according Sanatana Dharma. I have talked with some younger people about Sandhya and they say, it's not spiritual enough. They think these rituals are not necessary at all and not suitable for the modern time and place. I can understand, they have not learned these from their parents and the pundits don't want to talk about it, mostly they don't read the scriptures to find this information for themselves. So unfortunately, they will never do it. It's a really sad thing.

Arjuni
20 November 2010, 01:15 AM
Namasté, Sahasranama,

That is indeed a sad situation which you describe. Can one truly help care for and guide others in the path of religion, if one does not perform his own expected duties day by day, keep his own self humble and properly pure? The defensive and angry reactions seem to come from threatened egos, and sadly, an inflated ego tends to block the path to the Supreme.

What I've read of these rituals is intensely beautiful and inspiring, and it fills me with a wish to perform them; it's hard for me to understand why someone wouldn't see that beauty and want to undertake them, having been informed about them?

As for the practices "not fitting into the modern world," it reminds me of one thing I tell myself when a practice feels bothersome, irritating, even mildly irksome (as when I'm getting ready to leave the house and suddenly remember, "Wait, I forgot to--"): I sternly remind myself that, "Religion does not exist for my convenience. I must not serve the Supreme when it's easy and pleasant, only to run away from devotion and duty when life gets difficult."

(As an aside, do you recommend any particular books or videos? I like to learn about different practices, even ones like these that I can't do myself.)

Indraneela
===
"I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
Om Indrāya Namaḥ.
Om Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
20 November 2010, 01:31 AM
Thanks for your response on this thread. I figured that the ego of the pundits must be threatened to hear about something important that they have neglected. With the youth, it's a different thing. They don't want any "dogma" imposed on them. I had a discussion on a dutch site with some young people. I had to quit that discussion, they started calling me narrow minded, lacking spirituality and threatening to the universality of Hindu Dharma, because I came with scriptural evidence for the importance of Sandhya Vandana. There is really nothing I can do when people have that attitude.

This is a good video I have learned a lot from:
http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/dispProduct.php?sandhyavandanam-vcd&prodId=491

I have a lot of books on karmakanda and sandhyavandana, but for simplicity's sake, I use the procedure of the DVD. There are many variations depending on shaakha (branch of veda). Also, in India there's a lot difference in the procedure from region to region and sect to sect. The core elements are the same everywhere though, except in the Arya Samaj where they don't offer Arghya to Surya.

This book goes along with the DVD:
http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/dispProduct.php?sandhyavandanam&prodId=329

There are a few shlokas everyone can use to offer Arghya (water) to Surya, even without having done upanayana Sanskaar. I will post them here. You can put some red flowers and red kumkumam in te water vessel.

namostu sūryāya sahasrabhānave
namostu vaiśvānarajātavedase|
tvameva cārghyaṁ pratigrahṇa deva
devādhivedevāya namo namaste||

ehi sūrya sahasrāṁśo tejorāśe jagatpate|
anukampaya me bhaktyā gṛhāṇārghyaṁ namostu te||

ādityañca namaskāraṁ ye kurvanti dine dine|
janmāntarasahasreṣu dāridrayaṁ nopajāyate||

namo dharmavidhātre hi namo karmasu sākṣiṇe|
namo pratyakṣadevāya bhāskarāya namonamaḥ|

Eastern Mind
20 November 2010, 07:19 AM
Vannakkan Sahasranama:

I have a couple of observations to offer. Firstly, from a brief search on line, I found some variations on what Sandhya Vandana meant. So perhaps you could define it for us.

Secondly, there are many differences within the Brahman communities as to what should and should not be done, so part of what you're saying may be from that. If it is from a specific Brahman community, I can see your point.

Also, although I am not sure about the pundits from Surinam per se, those who were grabbed as indentured laborers (by Dutch, British, French, Portuguese) to Fiji, Trinidad, Jamaica, South Africa, Mauritius, Guyana, etc often had up to 150 years of forces of diluting such as Christianity, a lack of printing presses, less people, no priest gurukulams, all knowledge being passed down orally, etc. I find this study of that diaspora to be quite fascinating, as knowledge is both lost and gained in that process.

All said, I'm sure your observations are correct, but my question would be why has it happened?

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
20 November 2010, 07:58 AM
I have a couple of observations to offer. Firstly, from a brief search on line, I found some variations on what Sandhya Vandana meant. So perhaps you could define it for us. Sandhyavandana means twilight prayer. Officially this is sunrise, middle of the day and sunset. I am refering to the shrauta/smarta rituals which include a very specific initiation (upanayana). In the agamic (tantrik) tradition there is also a mahanishi sandhya (middle of the night). Sandhya prayers are started before sunrise or sunset. After upanayana sanskaar someone is called a dvija, twice born. Traditionally every dvija, including vaishyas and kshatriyas were obligated to perform Sandhya Vandana after doing upanayana with the gayatri mantra, offering water to the sun and doing pranayama. This was something that was just natural for people to do after they had undergone the upanayana sanskaar. In the Ramayana there are examples of Rama doing Sandhya, in the Mahabharata of the Pandavas and the kauravas doing Sandhya Vandana during the great war and in the Bhagavat Purana, even Sri Krishna did do his Sandhyavandan. Every smriti and purana stresses the importance of this ritual.

Secondly, there are many differences within the Brahman communities as to what should and should not be done, so part of what you're saying may be from that. If it is from a specific Brahman community, I can see your point.When it comes to Sandhyavandana, the differences between communities are in the details (achamana/nyasa/ gotra vandana etc). The core of the procedure is the pranayama, surya arghya and japa of gayatri mantra and is similar for all. Someone who didn't do upanayana, but got iniated only in the agamic traditions might have different types of nitya karmas according to their tradition.

Also, although I am not sure about the pundits from Surinam per se, those who were grabbed as indentured laborers (by Dutch, British, French, Portuguese) to Fiji, Trinidad, Jamaica, South Africa, Mauritius, Guyana, etc often had up to 150 years of forces of diluting such as Christianity, a lack of printing presses, less people, no priest gurukulams, all knowledge being passed down orally, etc. I find this study of that diaspora to be quite fascinating, as knowledge is both lost and gained in that process. Yes, when people move from India, the religion gets a little diluted. I know a priest from India who went to visit Surinam and he had to comment: "people are very diligent about their pujas, but there are no places in the country to learn any of the Indian arts, like jyotish, ayurveda, yoga, music." The people hold on very strongly to the little that they have learned from their parents, but the older ones are not very open to new knowledge from India. In the past there have been pundits from India who went to Surinam to teach, like premacharya and others, but in the modern time, pundits from India are looked down upon, because they are a threat to their business.

All said, I'm sure your observations are correct, but my question would be why has it happened?Why did the Surinam people forget about it. Mostly they started developing a simplistic and informal approaches. The pundits were more concerned about karmakanda for social functions than teaching people how to do their nitya karmas. But the current generation of Hindu youngsters are told to do just whatever they want to do. Most pundits will say during pravacana, all you need to do is five minutes of puja a day with your heart. That's all that god is asking. Allthough, I agree that five minutes from the heart is better than an hour mechanically, saying this constantly can bring an attitude of complacency among devotees. I don't think this is a foreign thing, I am sure the new generations in India are developing the same attitude.

Eastern Mind
20 November 2010, 08:10 AM
Vannakkam Sahasranama:

Thanks for the detailed and informative response. Good things I see in it are that bhakti is often still there, and for the most part, Brahmans who have gone right away from it completely into business, professions etc., for the most part no longer hold the "I'm Brahman, you're not" condescending attitude that was once prevalent.

Caste at my temple isn't so noticeable in the devotees. At one time it was, but one more generation has helped.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
20 November 2010, 08:24 AM
Yes, I think the bhakti is very important. But the practice of upanayana sanskaar is still very prevelent and therefore, I think people should know about the formality of Sandhya Vandana. Even if it's very simplistic like gayatri japa and arghya dana. Of course, there is nothing I can do to prevent the traditions to die out amongst people. Since this is kali yuga, eventually all brahmins, ksatriyas and vaishyas will stop doing sandhya. That's part of kali yuga. I would think it's beneficial to keep the tradition alive amongst dvijas as long as possible. Chanakya Pundit says: "The tree symbolising the vipras has Sandhya Vandana as it's roots, the vedas as it's branches and the karmas and dharmas as it's leaves. Therefore, always protect the root, if there is no root, there are no branches and no leaves."

for the most part no longer hold the "I'm Brahman, you're not" condescending attitude that was once prevalent.
I'd bet that the same people who are so vocal about being a brahmin are not doing Sandhya Vandana. In the devi bhagavatam it is said that the dvija who doesn't know how to perform Sandhya and does not perform it, he will be a shudra during his life and will reincarnate as a dog. Similar quotes can be found in every purana or smriti. I always ask people "how is your sandhya vandana going?" when they brag about being brahmins, even my own uncles. Maybe something you as a westerner can also use as a comeback.

TatTvamAsi
20 November 2010, 12:28 PM
I'd bet that the same people who are so vocal about being a brahmin are not doing Sandhya Vandana. In the devi bhagavatam it is said that the dvija who doesn't know how to perform Sandhya and does not perform it, he will be a shudra during his life and will reincarnate as a dog. Similar quotes can be found in every purana or smriti. I always ask people "how is your sandhya vandana going?" when they brag about being brahmins, even my own uncles. Maybe something you as a westerner can also use as a comeback.

Yet another person/thread denigrating Brahmins. :rolleyes:

How surprising that it is a so-called Hindu who is doing it as well! Do you know the 36-60 million Brahmins personally? Have you talked to a majority of them to form your erroneous opinion?

Shoot, I'm a Brahmin. I'll say it with pride and I do SandhyaVandhanam everyday despite my hectic schedule. Not trikAlA Sandhya of course but every morning. My father and his friends, who are of another generation, do trikala SandhyAVandhanam but I don't know anyone my age who does it.

Even otherwise, harping on SandhyaVandhanam, albeit an important part of a Brahmana's day, does not diminish one's Brahminical lifestyle. It is far better than those who totally abandon their svAdharma and do things. Funny you don't get twisted over that.

It has become fashion, over the past 100 years or so, to criticize Brahmins because they will not hit back, at least, not usually.

Why don't you whine about the mlecchas who enter temples or have the gall to even try and recite the Gayatri, which they have not even heard from a Hindu. That is far more dangerous than a Brahmin who forgets to do his SandhyaVandhanam.

Why don't you show these mlecchas, who have the nerve to try and read the Vedas, about ManunIdhI SaStrA? Shall I get some molten lead ready? ;)

Remember, it is Brahmins who saved the Vedas from total disappearance from India during the barbaric rule of muslims and christians.

Your asinine comments, I bet aimed towards me or Saidevo, ain't cuttin' it. Are you a Brahmin? Do you do trikala Sandhya?

Sahasranama
20 November 2010, 12:50 PM
I wasn't talking about you or saidevo, but about some people that I know. Actually, I just asked saidevo about Sandhyavandana in another thread and I got a great answer from him. I am not writing this as an attack on anyone. I am just saying there are many brahmins who will brag about their being brahmin, but then get angry when you talk about Sandhya. Yes, I am also born in a brahmin family and do daily sandhya and samidadhanam in the morning and the evening, but not trikala.

I hope I didn't offend you dvijo deva. :cool1:

TatTvamAsi
20 November 2010, 01:07 PM
I wasn't talking about you or saidevo, but about some people that I know. Actually, I just asked saidevo about Sandhyavandana in another thread and I got a great answer from him. I am not writing this as an attack on anyone. I am just saying there are many brahmins who will brag about their being brahmin, but then get angry when you talk about Sandhya. Yes, I am also born in a brahmin family and do daily sandhya and samidadhanam in the morning and the evening, but not trikala.

I hope I didn't offend you dvijo deva. :cool1:

Well, whatever the people you may know do, it does not make it a common occurrence. Majority of the Brahmins are still traditional; at least in south India.

Since you seem to know untraditional Brahmins, do they drink, eat meat, and smoke too? What about prostitutes?

Funny you denigrate Sai Baba but keep that charlatan jesus on a pedestal.

Look at these chandAlas reciting the Vedas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1XRIcwfZxw

They have the requisite dogs too!

How about a thread about these mlecchas desecrating the Vedas? ;)

Sahasranama
20 November 2010, 01:15 PM
Since you seem to know untraditional Brahmins, do they drink, eat meat, and smoke too? What about prostitutes?Not the priests, but some brahmins I know have started to eat meat and drink alcohol.

Well, whatever the people you may know do, it does not make it a common occurrence. Majority of the Brahmins are still traditional; at least in south India.I am not specifically talking about brahmins, but about all Hindus who have done upanayana sanskaar. I know that south Indians are more traditional. But here in the Netherlands, it's common for people to do upanayana and not learn about Sandhya.

Funny you denigrate Sai Baba but keep that charlatan jesus on a pedestal.Where did you get the idea that I put Jesus on a pedestal? I have often said, I believe he never existed and is completely irrelevant. I remember that I replied to you that Rajiv Malhotra did not have to say in public that Jesus is a charlatan. Doesn't mean I put Jesus on a pedestal. I think Sai Baba has a lot more respect for Jesus than I do.

Look at these chandAlas reciting the Vedas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1XRIcwfZxw

They have the requisite dogs too!

How about a thread about these mlecchas desecrating the Vedas? ;)That's very bad, they have dogs and slippers. I don't think they have learned reverence for the rituals, but for a westerner the chanting is not too bad. I am not posting a thread about them, because I don't care enough about them. But I care about Hindus forgetting their traditions. Why don't you contact the people on the video you have posted? What can I do about it?

Did I make you angry with my post? You are not the first person I have made angry when I said something about Sandhya Vandana. It seems to be a sensitive topic. I have no idea why.

satay
20 November 2010, 01:40 PM
Admin Note

Thread under review.