PDA

View Full Version : The case of Caitanya Das...

Adhvagat
19 November 2010, 06:25 PM
I found this on the web:

http://dasi.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/someone-wrote-this/

And then this reply:

http://dasi.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/dasi-replies/

At first let me state that I don't fully agree with Caitanya Das has presented, while I recognize most of the flaws he talks about ISKCON, my view is not the same as his.

About the reply, I find the tone very weird, disrespectful and narrow-minded.

Specially on point #21, the writer makes it look like ISKCON is the only place to find devotees, that is a lie.

On point #8, we can interpret that in order to disagree with ISKCON we need to base ourselves on a ISKCON approved source. Laughable.

For those that may be reading this and don't know me. I found Sanatana Dharma through ISKCON and Prabhupada's books. I'm forever greatful to the work done and deeply admire Prabhupada's view and how he broke into the west.

But ISKCON as an institution is flawed and does not contribute (to many) to spiritual advancement.

I know this can be an emotionally tiresome subject to discuss, but I present this trying to look beyond the agitation. My preliminary conclusion is... ISKCON is not Prabhupada, his books and philosophy are. Therefore my responsibility is not towards ISKCON and waste energy trying to repair someone else's wrong doing, but to better myself with the material I was presented and influence by example. The personal level supercedes the institutional level.

If someone can contribute with insights and opinions... I'm grateful!

Hari Om Tat Sat

Harjas Kaur
19 November 2010, 08:47 PM
"ISKCON as an institution is flawed and does not contribute (to many) to spiritual advancement."It's not for everybody.

"I know this can be an emotionally tiresome subject to discuss, but I present this trying to look beyond the agitation."
I think the problems are well known and very sad. It is also something clear and traceable, however I do not personally want to jump in and bash someone else's sampraday. For those who receive grace and blessings and ISKCON is their path I wish them well and offer pranams to those fulfilling spiritual principles sincerely as true Vaishnavas.

"My preliminary conclusion is... ISKCON is not Prabhupada, his books and philosophy are." I agree with this assessment. But also, Srila Prabhupada's teachings do not belong to Him alone, they exist within the greater body of the Brahma Madhava Gaudiya Math disciplic lineage. ISKCON exists within a particular sampraday whether they acknowledge it or not. Those teachings and philosophy originate from within that lineage and continues despite the appearance and disappearance of individual leaders, even a Mahabhagavat, which is the strength and glory of any sampraday. Who was Srila Prabhupada a representative of? Lord Krishna. Who do the individual devotees belong to? Bhagavan.

"Therefore my responsibility is not towards ISKCON and waste energy trying to repair someone else's wrong doing, but to better myself with the material I was presented and influence by example. The personal level supercedes the institutional level."I agree with you. For anyone disheartened by problems in any sampraday, including alterations, fall downs, steering away from the original charism of a movement, etc, it's important to reflect on what you are being loyal and not damage your spiritual well-being. If, by example, someone becomes loyal to a dishonest leader, then begins to excuse the leader, his collusion with wrong-doing accrues some of the karma of the wrong-doing. So, it's important for people not to corrupt their own spirituality.

The best recommendation is look closer to the origin of the initial charism, the original philosophy, and the respectable god-brothers of Srila Prabhupada. Keep the teachings, philosophy and practices which enrich you. Authentic spirituality can't ever be diminished. It is a shining light and the world needs more sincere and humble devotees whatever path they take. But the key is find the place where your spirituality is enriched and not where it is compromised to be in conformity with ANY institution.