PDA

View Full Version : Venting Room is Open...

yajvan
22 November 2010, 06:19 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Over the last week or so I have read/viewed many a HDF member taking issue with other religions and POV's. I can understand the angst that comes with other people/religions. These other approaches may have brought pain or is seen as so obtuse, how could one think in such a manner ? I can understand this.

Let me offer this... consider getting this grief off of your chest. How about using this and subsequent posts (within this folder) to lambaste other religions ( not people) as you see fit, to one's heart-felt content; this will allow others to see your POV. That is, within this post in the jalpa folder pursue vitaṇḍa¹(the utmost criticism). You do
not need an opponent, you can just vent on what is really on your mind and irritating you or you beliefs .

The intent is simple: use this room to get it out, where it is okay to scream.
Then upon re-entering HDF's conversations you have left the baggage here , the negativity here, the stress that (might) have been bugging you,
irritating you can remain here.

praṇām

words

vitaṇḍa - cavil , captious objection , fallacious controversy , frivolous argument ; this is a principle found in nyāya school meaning 'carping at the arguments or assertions of another without attempting to prove the opposite side of the question'.

Harjas Kaur
22 November 2010, 06:31 PM
to lambaste other religions ( not people) as you see fit, Is that what you think is happening? God help you and this forum. You cannot differentiate between Muslim missionary anti-Hindu propaganda and the already weary claims of Muslim's being bashed and in need of forum moderator protection...so they can undermine Hinduism and Indian culture while promoting own agendas.

Why oh why are missionaries tolerated on HDF? Why oh why are we endlessly having to accomodate insults, slanders and slurs against our religion, nation and people while being accused of being the hateful, bigoted aggressors?

Riverwolf
22 November 2010, 06:35 PM
Fantastic idea, Yajvan!

Though there should be a rule that arguing against/debating someone's rant. In a place like this, people should be able to get all that angst out without the fear of getting flak for it.

Eastern Mind
22 November 2010, 07:15 PM
Vannakkam Yajvan: How can I disable a particular thread? I'm just not interested in reading someone going off on a wild rant. Especially when they can do that at home by themselves somewhere. Sorry, but I think this is a poor idea, as it will serve to rile others up. I see little problem with the idea of banning now in effect. I prefer the current system. I know we have an 'ignore' button for individuals, but now I'd like one for threads too. This place is so incredibly civil already, and I'd hate to see a thread like this reduce that.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
22 November 2010, 07:29 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I see the forum is already working :)

EM, you mention

How can I disable a particular thread? I'm just not interested in reading someone going off on a wild rant

I will look into it for you, yet the choice is yours to not visit this string, no? So avoiding it by choice, you have disabled it.

Harjas Kaur,
you were kind enough to send me a PM and I have addressed your questions and comments there.

praṇām

Believer
22 November 2010, 08:14 PM
>>> Banging my head on the padded walls of Jalpa room >>> :)

Kumar_Das
22 November 2010, 08:16 PM
Sometimes fiercely arguing/criticising other dharmas or even darshanas might help tremendously.

This is evident in almost all religions.

In India against the Bauddhas and Jainas boosted Sanatana Dharma significantly especially Vedanta. Sooo... many scholars can be named as examples.

I personally believe Muhammad managed to found Islam because of his hatred against Christianity and Judaism.

Islam/Quran is a reaction to Christianity and Judaism. It had to be more potent for it to replace these two pre-existing religions.

Also some of the greatest religious works have been polemics. Again Vedanta has texts full of them.

So its not about it getting it "off the chest". Its not an emotional affair.

I'm not saying this to expect a reply. I'm just saying it.

yajvan
22 November 2010, 08:34 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

... me thinks many ~perhaps~ have not read the 'rules of the road' for HDF?

No Flaming: Please do not post messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting to another member or guest. Please do not post inflammatory, rude, repetitive, or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize other members or disrupt the flow of discussion. This includes messages in profiles and signatures. Controversial topics are welcomed on HDF, however, do not post or create threads only for the sake of creating controversy or hostility. This site is for positive presentation of Sanatana Dharma. Please do not post insulting, hostile or negative comments about Hindus, Hinduism, India or Indians.

I am saying within these Venting walls if you need to vent , do it. I am NOT suggesting, inferring or alluding to the notion that vigorous debate is unwelcomed. If you have viewed my words in this manner, then please re-consider what I am writing.

Debate that is civil is welcomed. Abusive debate is unwelcomed. There are too many other sites one can visit if the wish for agressive and punitive combat
is de jure. HDF is not and will not become one of them.

praṇām

Believer
22 November 2010, 11:09 PM
No Flaming: Please do not post messages that are deliberately hostile and insulting to another member or guest. Please do not post inflammatory, rude, repetitive, or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy or antagonize other members or disrupt the flow of discussion.

I salute you and Satay for doing this thankless job of being the arbitrators of the forum. On top of everything else, this is a voluntary job for which you have to invest your personal time. I am sure it overburdens your regular life and is distracting you from your spiritual activities and having a peaceful day. Our constant complaints can't be something pleasant to deal with on a daily basis. I am thankful to both of you for doing what you are doing. From personal experience, I can say that the day I volunteered for a task at a temple, it was as if I asked for a bull's eye to be painted on my back. I vowed never, ever to take up a voluntary position at a Hindu temple again. So, I understand something about the tough job you have. All we are asking is to be FAIR. Allowing muslims a free reign of the forum for 2-3 days and asking members to take the abuse sitting down is a bit difficult concept to swallow. Why are they not shut down ASAP, instead of waiting for them to becomes super obnoxious before Banning them? It is your prerogative, but should it be at the cost of hurting everyone's feelings?

Again, we love you both. You are shouldering lot of load besides what you do at home and at work. Maybe, with time, things will change. The decisions will be more equitable and forum members would have fewer complaints. Please don't get discouraged by our bitcxing.

Sahasranama
23 November 2010, 04:02 AM
I really appreciate your work as admins of Hindu forums. I once was an admin of my own Hindu forum, I know how much work it takes and sometimes how everyone thinks they know better how to run the forum.

First I want to say, in the threads about Islam and other subjects, I really admire Harjas Kaur's patience and debating skills.

I was actually a little dissapointed to see hanumansolo banned, because Bryon was going to write an elaborate reply on the Aryan Invasion Theory. Amongst us Hindus there's nobody who really needs to be convinced about this subject. But I think it shows good knowledge if someone like Bryon or Harjas can debate succesfully against an outstander.

Maybe this is a conscious choice of the admins, so that everyone here can keep their peace of mind instead of getting involved in frivolous debates with non-Hindus.

Adhvagat
23 November 2010, 05:35 AM
The thread about Hitler's view on caste system got deleted.

That interests me...

satay
23 November 2010, 08:21 PM
Admin Note

Namaskar,

I don't have anything to vent here but while reading beliver's comments about allowing muslims a free pass ... Please I will remind all members to report any posts that you see are breaking the rules. The forum rules are clear about this, no insults and hostility about hinduism, india, indians and hindus. There is zero tolerance for this. This policy will continue to be enforced. If you see that there is a slip up, please report it.

Thanks,

PARAM
24 November 2010, 10:31 AM

Make it for all Nations, no Insult.
Hindu Majority Nations like Mauritious, Nepal could be target.
Highest persentage of Hindus are Indian, but Hinduism was ruled everywhere, we can have members from everywhere we can go.

Taking Ramallah starts with Ram, Laos pronounce like Ram's son Lav, there are more proofs.

I know types of anti-hindus, I have many conversions, many online hindu based groups are ruled by anti-hindus, Venting room cannot make any difference, as anti-hindus targets Dharm.

yajvan
24 November 2010, 11:36 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté PARAM

Make it for all Nations, no Insult.

A very noble idea indeed. thank you,

praṇām

Believer
26 November 2010, 01:04 AM
I don't have anything to vent here but while reading beliver's comments about allowing muslims a free pass ... Please I will remind all members to report any posts .....

Satay, with all deference to your judgement, would it be possible to include making repeated frivolous posts as a violation of the forum T&Cs. That may hasten the Banning of troublemakers without letting them lurk and mock Hindus, very discreetly, for days before they get banned. The posts made by these people, as we all know, are not abusive by themselves, but the link provided in the posts are always anti Hindu/India.

charlebs
23 April 2011, 11:58 PM
Sometimes fiercely arguing/criticising other dharmas or even darshanas might help tremendously.

This is evident in almost all religions.

In India against the Bauddhas and Jainas boosted Sanatana Dharma significantly especially Vedanta. Sooo... many scholars can be named as examples.

I personally believe Muhammad managed to found Islam because of his hatred against Christianity and Judaism.

Islam/Quran is a reaction to Christianity and Judaism. It had to be more potent for it to replace these two pre-existing religions.

Also some of the greatest religious works have been polemics. Again Vedanta has texts full of them.

So its not about it getting it "off the chest". Its not an emotional affair.

I'm not saying this to expect a reply. I'm just saying it.

science couldn't even prove muhammad existed so some just liked to put him down as hearsay upon hearsay
so if this is not possible, why do people insist that he had intercourse with someone who most likely did not leave school camp yet?

not saying I don't believe in muhammed but still. people in my country try to demonize other people's saints so much that we have to pay to protect them from wrath.
everyone seeds what he sows, so why do hatred filled people become legends upon death?