PDA

View Full Version : Do I only have to follow one form of God?

WTyler
23 November 2010, 06:15 PM
I feel compelled to find one god to cherish over the rest--yet do not know which one.

Is this bad?

To me.. Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma are all equal.
I believe that they are all just incarnations of the absolute and more intently are all just incarnations of the universe.

The Universe is created (brahma) and things continually become created--it is sustained such is everything sustained for a period of time (vishnu), and it and other things are destroyed.(Shiva)

I am drawn to the incarnations of Vishnu and the stories, and I feel as if when I sing to Vishnu and Krishna I feel as if I can be more melodious and happy, I enjoy the positive vibration.

Though, when I meditate I feel a strong connection to Shiva. I also feel more drawn to Shiva being the god to go to for self realization, and I feel as if Vishnu is more of an external god than Shiva. I am more interested in self realization and becoming one with my creator, and finding the god within me rather than external means.

I also become filled with the creative nature at times, which some may refer to as Shakti energy, I like the beauty of that because I can so much feel connected with the energy brewing in the world and in me. I feel like I can bow down to this beauty so easily--if I should even define this energy as the goddess.

Is it normal to worship all of these forms of the divine? Or should I only find one to venerate more than others?

Sometimes I feel as if I should sing songs to each, or one depending on my mood.

I also thought of mainly singing and looking to Hanuman-ji for guidance due to him being such a loyal follower of God--however--he only found refuge in Ram and Sita, and I would find refuge in all incarnations of God. I feel as if this would be frowned upon.

Do I have to be just a follower of Vishnu, or Siva, Shakti?

If so what are those criteria?

Or should I just follow my heart and sing to every aspect of the divine that is Shakti, Siva, Vishnu, and Brahma?

Eastern Mind
23 November 2010, 07:58 PM
Vannakkam WT: Its difficult at the beginning when you first encounter SD. There is just so much variety. I can see you are struggling with which particular branch or version of SD suits you best. Well, my best advice would be to shop around a bit. Remember that SD is not a single religion like some of the Abrahamics. Firstly, you have to drop that notion. Hinduism is vast vast vast. This cannot be overstressed. For some, ome God is fine. For others, they like to see the many. Try not to fret about this decision, for I believe in time, it will just come out of you. There will be signs of comfort with certain traditions, and likewise signs of discomfort with others. Some scriptures will leap off the page at you; others will seem mundane and boring. Have you had th echance to visit any temples yet? Whose words on here speak to you the most? Sometimes these things can help a lot.

Please don't beat yourself up over it.

Aum Namasivaya

Maya3
23 November 2010, 08:05 PM
Just go with it, just like you said it depends on the mood of the day.
Go with your heart.

Maya

devotee
24 November 2010, 09:37 AM
Why so much confusion dear ? Enjoy the freedom available in Sanatan Dharma. You do what appeals to you :

a) If you like a particular form of God : Go for it. We have Vaishnavas who worship Vishnu and his incarnations as Supreme Godhead. We also have Shaivas who worship Lord Shiva as Supreme Godhead. We have Shaaktas who worship Mother Goddess as the Supreme.

b) If you want to worship all equally : Go for it ! You are in the group of majority of Hindus who don't fall into such debates ... which is greater than whom etc. ... they worships all forms of Gods & Goddesses.

c) If you want to worship the formless God : Go for it ! There are many sects who believe in and worship formless God.

Your relationship with God is purely private (because he is as much within you as any one and he loves you as much as anyone ... He alone is your true guide and guru) and let no one else dictate you what to do and what not. Be guided by your own inner Guru but giving due importance to scripture and words of great saints.

OM

PARAM
24 November 2010, 10:08 AM

Well, ॐ is one and only (I won't use the word God), but deities are many.

Ramakrishna
26 November 2010, 01:45 AM
Namaste WTyler,

You have been given excellent advice so far. The majority of Hindus are not sectarian, although there are many who are in specific sects and that is fine for them. Many have some sort of an ishta-deva who they pray to the most. They may not believe their ishta-deva is the most "supreme" or the highest form of God or anything, but it is just a one specific deity that they feel the most connected to. Of course there are sects, like Vaishnavas who pray almost exclusively to Lord Vishnu and/or His avatars, Shaivas who pray almost exclusively to Lord Shiva and His associated deities like Lord Ganesha and Lord Murugan, and Shaktas who pray almost exclusively to the feminine forms of God. But it sounds like you are not sectarian at all, and that is absolutely fine. Ultimately such labels and sects really don't matter.

Just from my own experience, I've been a Hindu my entire life, but started taking my religion really seriously about three years ago. I got to the point where I was praying exclusively to Lord Krishna and felt very content with that and was even close to joining ISKCON. Then I slowly started praying to other deities, and I felt even better and decided against joining ISKCON and being very sectarian. Lord Krishna became my ishta-deva and the majority of my prayers were to Him, but I also prayed to other deities. Now at this point in my life, I barely even consider Lord Krishna as my ishta-deva anymore. I pray to several different deities almost equally now, and I am feeling more and more connected to specific forms of God other than Lord Krishna.

So people can evolve as well as they progress into Sanatana Dharma. As I said, right now from your post you sound very non-sectarian, and the majority of Hindus are like that. It doesn't sound like you have an ishta-deva now, and you don't even need one and it is completely fine to pray to several forms of god equally. But perhaps over time you will slowly but surely feel more attracted to a specific deity and make that your ishta-deva, or you may even eventually become attracted to a particular sect.

Just go with what you are doing. You're doing absolutely nothing wrong, and it is fine to worship any and many aspects of God equally.

Jai Sri Krishna

Maya3
26 November 2010, 06:09 AM
Ramakrishna,

I really like what you wrote. It's always nice to hear of other peoples journeys.
:)

Maya

Ramakrishna
26 November 2010, 06:06 PM
Ramakrishna,

I really like what you wrote. It's always nice to hear of other peoples journeys.
:)

Maya

Namaste Maya,

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think it's really important for experienced Hindus to not just give tips and advice to newcomers, but to actually share their past experiences and how they themselves have grown in Sanatana Dharma. Of course, each person is different and ultimately it is a religion of individualization, but it can definitely help some newcomers to read about experienced Hindus' journeys, whether they were born and raised in Sanatana Dharma or if they converted many years ago.

Jai Sri Krishna

jasdir
27 November 2010, 02:15 AM
I feel compelled to find one god to cherish over the rest--yet do not know which one.

Is this bad?

To me.. Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma are all equal.
I believe that they are all just incarnations of the absolute and more intently are all just incarnations of the universe.

The Universe is created (brahma) and things continually become created--it is sustained such is everything sustained for a period of time (vishnu), and it and other things are destroyed.(Shiva)

I am drawn to the incarnations of Vishnu and the stories, and I feel as if when I sing to Vishnu and Krishna I feel as if I can be more melodious and happy, I enjoy the positive vibration.

Though, when I meditate I feel a strong connection to Shiva. I also feel more drawn to Shiva being the god to go to for self realization, and I feel as if Vishnu is more of an external god than Shiva. I am more interested in self realization and becoming one with my creator, and finding the god within me rather than external means.

I also become filled with the creative nature at times, which some may refer to as Shakti energy, I like the beauty of that because I can so much feel connected with the energy brewing in the world and in me. I feel like I can bow down to this beauty so easily--if I should even define this energy as the goddess.

Is it normal to worship all of these forms of the divine? Or should I only find one to venerate more than others?

Sometimes I feel as if I should sing songs to each, or one depending on my mood.

I also thought of mainly singing and looking to Hanuman-ji for guidance due to him being such a loyal follower of God--however--he only found refuge in Ram and Sita, and I would find refuge in all incarnations of God. I feel as if this would be frowned upon.

Do I have to be just a follower of Vishnu, or Siva, Shakti?

If so what are those criteria?

Or should I just follow my heart and sing to every aspect of the divine that is Shakti, Siva, Vishnu, and Brahma?

As everything is necessary to run a PC(computer), Like: Electric current, Harddisk, Processer, Software etc..., Every part of PC has its own importance...

Similarly to run the game of this world every devtas or devis has its own importance ,

Yes they are on higher stages than we normal humanbeings, but if they want moksha (rid from cycle of deths & births) ? First they have to become normal humanbeings like us & than they can apply for moksha in the form of normal humanbeings.

Anyhow, What is the use of mare talkings!!!!!!!!!!

Every mystry is kept inside humanbody, Start your meditations from right today or now, concentrate on your Third eye(shivnetar) Like: o^o , remove all your attention from outside world even forget your body,

Kindly Note: This is not the path of Hurry, devlop your concentration slowely day by day to get sucess in this path,

As a result: You will yourself come to know about, Who are Devtas ? Who are Devis ? or even Who is God ? infact you will become one with "God"

KINDLY NOTE: Above written statements are not mine, this i have readed 10 years before in the book named "Gurubuddi".

_/\_Servent Jasdir.

SethDrebitko
28 November 2010, 06:57 PM
Speaking from no experience I would say honestly just let it come to you. I have contemplated Hinduism a great deal, and find my dreams constantly involving Shiva. This was not always the case though and these constant dreams have only been since summer.

Simply leave yourself open to God and the face you most need will come to you.

kd gupta
28 November 2010, 11:22 PM
Knowing vidya and avidya both, is Vedas instruction . Discussion about gurus in one sampraday , discussing sampradays for one deity or discussing different deities in one religion , everything is good for knowledge . krsn says to get the ultimate beyond all these qualities….
Naanyam gunebhyah kartaaram yadaa drashtaanupashyati;
Gunebhyashcha param vetti madbhaavam so’dhigacchati.
When the seer beholds no agent other than the Gunas, knowing that which is higher than
them, he attains to My Being.

But this is very strange when people misinterpret the vedmantra ..na tasya pratima asti…

Means The existence of parmatma is beyond any expectation .
AND not as , his [ tasya does not mean his ] idol is there .