PDA

View Full Version : Lord Shiva--the destroyer?

WTyler
24 November 2010, 01:21 PM
I understand that Shiva is the destroyer, though can someone help me explain the deeper meaning of him being the destroyer?

I assume it means not only in terms of literal death and destruction, but also destroys illusion and the ego too?

Can someone please share the symbolism of Shiva being the destroyer?

Riverwolf
24 November 2010, 04:59 PM
I understand that Shiva is the destroyer, though can someone help me explain the deeper meaning of him being the destroyer?

I assume it means not only in terms of literal death and destruction, but also destroys illusion and the ego too?

Can someone please share the symbolism of Shiva being the destroyer?

"Destruction" isn't quite the right word; Lord Siva is more the "dissolver."

As for "destruction", it's certainly destruction of the ego and of evil tendencies.

But you must also understand that in Shaivite schools, Siva is Creator, Sustainer, and Dissolver.

realdemigod
24 November 2010, 05:23 PM
WTyler,
Lord Shiva is considered the destroyer but more like a dissolver or annihilator because it's his purpose and duty to dissolve everything at the end of the creation which happens in cycles. Only firm believers in Lord Shiva and Shaivite Schools believe that he is all - Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer.

When you said about illusion and ego it means..he will bestow you with knowledge through which you can overcome your illusion of this world and your ego. He also gives you moksha or liberation from the cycles of birth and death.

Everything emanates from Him.

Hara Hara Mahadeva!

yajvan
24 November 2010, 05:25 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I think Riverwolf has it right. Let me offer the following if I may to advance the idea a bit.

Many take the liberty of saying śiva is the quality of destruction. When all creation ends it is destroyed by śiva. Consider the following...

When all of creation ( all tattva, all essential matter and non-matter) has finished its purpose, then saṃhāra¹ (withdrawal) occurs.
Some call this saṃhṛti - conclusion, end, finish. Yet what occurs is the universe once again is drawn back into śiva. Then it occurs again
there is sṛṣṭi - letting go, expansion bṛh and śvi once more take place.

Within śaivism it is said He has 5 faces. What are those 5 faces? Some call this pañcakṛityavidhiḥ - śiva's 5 great acts. They are:

sṛiṣṭi - the creative act
sthiti - the protective or maintenance ( stability) act
saṁhāra - some call this saṃhṛti - conclusion, end, finish.
tirodhāna - the act of enfolding or concealing His nature
anugraha - that act of revealing his nature - His GraceLets take a look at His name

If we look at śiva's name śi शि means auspiciousness, good fortune; peace composure, calm. Now this word śiva has its root in śī
which means 'in whom all things lie or reside' as śī is also to lie down, rest, repose.
Within śiva all resides - every thing is contained therein ( even this māyā) . Within śiva is also this notion of śvi meaning to swell
much, to expand, grow.

Some say śiva is cideva bhagavatī or divine consciousness alone. I can see this . Yet this consciousness still has this Self-referral property -
it knows of itSelf.

From this knowing there is spanda, this vibration within itSelf that brings forth creation. Not the creation of a potter and making a pot,
but that of emmission from within Himself say the wise. Nothing is to be ~assembled~ .

Within śiva 36 tattva ( That-ness) is recognized. This explains sṛṣṭi - letting go, manifestation (~creation~) in its Fullness.
This māyā is there also. In ignorance this māyā is a constraint. In clarity of mind and being possessed of the Self, this māyā is then the
play and display of śakti.

praṇām & śivāya gamyatām (a prosperous journey to you)

words

bṛh can also be written bṛṃh or vṛh or vṛṃh; I offer the 2nd derivation of bṛh im my post above - to expand, increase., grow strong.
saṃhāra - bringing back in; contraction.

Maya3
24 November 2010, 07:37 PM
When I think of Shiva, I think of the universe contracting and expanding continuously.
Or the Sea moving in and out.

I like Riverwolfs and Yayvans explanations.

Maya

saidevo
24 November 2010, 10:11 PM
namaste everyone.

A good Website to learn about the shaiva-siddhAnta is:
http://www.bhagavadgitausa.com/

Check the article 'Primer in Saiva Siddhanta' among others on Shiva.