PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Ma Durga

WTyler
24 November 2010, 03:04 PM
A vedic astrologer just told me that one of my ishta devatas is Ma Durga.

Can someone briefly enlighten me on Durga and what she stands for? Is she the energy of God? If so what about the other gods energy?

How do I venerate her?

devotee
25 November 2010, 08:57 AM
Dear WTyler,

It is wrong to perceive Ma Durga like you are seeing. Ma Durga, Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu ... are all different form of the same God. There is nothing like energy of God which is separate from God. It is God alone.

Actually till you will be thinking in duality this question will bother you. Ma Durga took form to kill Mahishaasur & other cruel demons to establish dharma. For the the Shaktas (who worship Shakti or mother goddess) she is the supreme godhead.

Ma Durga should be worshipped in a proper manner as per the shastras as she is "ugra rupa" (violent form). You can learn the proper way from any good pundit/teacher. People normally worship Ma Durga on Dussehra in a big way ... it is a grand festival in India. The most popular scripture recited by the Durga devotees is Durga Saptashati (The seven hundred slokas in the praise of Ma Durga). I can also advise you to read Devi Puran (Devi Bhagwat) for better information.

OM

saidevo
25 November 2010, 09:24 AM
A captivating stotra on DurgA mA is the mahiShAsura-mardini stotram. Here is the text:
http://www.carnatica.net/lyrics/mahisha.pdf

and the audio rendition by Uma Mohan and Gayatri:
http://www.oonly.com/video/fwLnXJTjHQI/Mahishasura_Mardini

The song, singing and the music all blend to create a listening experience of awe!

sunyata07
26 November 2010, 02:59 PM
Namaste WTyler,

I have to echo Devotee's words on this. Try not to see Maa Durga in such dual terms. She is none other than Lords Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva together in the form of the Divine Mother. She is not a separate entity from Them. Nor is She a separate entity from you. She is Brahma because She is the Mother of the Universe, from which life issues. She is Vishnu because she upholds and restores Dharma when it becomes threatened by asuric forces. She is Shiva because she is the Destroyer of evil. Yes, you can consider Her as the combined power of all the Devas, who came into Being to combat great forces of evil. Just as Lord Shiva assumes a terrible form as Rudra, so does Shakti become the battle-hardened warrior and demon-slaying Goddess, Durga/Kali. She shares a similar role to Shiva as the destroyer (dissolver) of the illusion of ego and the liberator of the world. The texts that extol Durga and Her manifestations as the Destroyers of evil have allegorical connotations. The war waged between Mother Durga and all the demons can represent the battle that is ongoing in human consciousness, with the asuras representing various human vices (anger, lust, greed, ego, etc.) that are conquered by the Self, which is none other than God Him/Herself. Shaktas venerate Her as the Supreme expression of God because She dispels self-love, frees them from illusions of "little self" (thoughts of "I", "me" or "mine") and shows them their true nature.

A captivating stotra on DurgA mA is the mahiShAsura-mardini stotram. Here is the text:
http://www.carnatica.net/lyrics/mahisha.pdf

and the audio rendition by Uma Mohan and Gayatri:
http://www.oonly.com/video/fwLnXJTjH...hasura_Mardini (http://www.oonly.com/video/fwLnXJTjHQI/Mahishasura_Mardini)

The song, singing and the music all blend to create a listening experience of awe!

Wonderful stuff. I absolutely love that stotram, especially in the carnatic style. :)

I also recommend reciting the Durga Chalisa, which is a 40 verse hymn in praise of Maa and Her various forms - you'll find plenty of different renditions of it on youtube to suit your taste. If you have space for an altar, why not try setting up your own space to pray and meditate? If you've a good printer, you can print out a beautiful image of Maa Durga and frame it. Jyotish may have pointed you in Her direction, but it'll be up to you to make that connection with Her if it feels right with you. Your instincts will be a good guide on where to go from there.

Om namah Shivaya

Kumar_Das
27 December 2010, 09:51 PM
]There is nothing like energy of God which is separate from God. It is God alone.

You want to explain this further? Perhaps you want to cite evidence from scriptures to back that statement up?

Actually till you will be thinking in duality this question will bother you.

Not that I care for the member in question. But where do you get the idea that he is "bothered" ?

Sudarshan
01 January 2011, 04:19 AM

Can someone briefly enlighten me on Durga and what she stands for? Is she the energy of God? If so what about the other gods energy?

How do I venerate her?

durga is "dukkena gamyate" - one that is difficult to penetrate or attain is called durga. durga literally means a fortress or a citadel stronghold.

PARAM
01 January 2011, 10:06 AM

How do I venerate her?

Better ask that astrologer, he can answer your query in better way.

Sahasranama
01 January 2011, 11:23 AM
durga is "dukkena gamyate" - one that is difficult to penetrate or attain is called durga. durga literally means a fortress or a citadel stronghold.

I like the meaning you gave, another meaning that is common, durga durgati nashini, durga is the one who removes ill fate/ unfortunate destinations.