PDA

View Full Version : Biggest temple of Lord Shiva

realdemigod
30 November 2010, 05:37 AM
Is Brihadeshwara temple in Tanjore is the biggest temple of Lord Shiva in the world?

Eastern Mind
30 November 2010, 12:19 PM
Vannakkam realdemigod:

I think it might depend on the definition of 'biggest'. Certainly Tanjore is huge. By area inside the temple building Rameswaram is huge. Tanjore's central moolasthanam tower is higher. Madurai Meenakshi (originally a Siva temple as well) is large by area.

I stopped at a newer hill temple just SW of Salem that had a larger lingam, although I suspect it was from more than one solid piece of granite. Not sure though. The largest tank I've ever seen was definitely the one at Tanjore. It was really large, and adjoinuing the temple walls, not just inside.

So its hard to say. I guess the Ankkor Wat ruins in Cambodia are huge too.

Why should it matter as Siva is everywhere? So the actual largest temple is the entire universe.

Aum Namasivaya

realdemigod
01 December 2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Eastern Mind,
When I get rich I want to build a temple for Lord Shiva bigger than the Angkor Wat..a colossal construction for my beloved Lord :)

saidevo
01 December 2010, 10:08 AM
namaste rdg.

You don't need to become rich at all to build the biggest temple for Shiva:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53340&postcount=16

Thanks Eastern Mind,
When I get rich I want to build a temple for Lord Shiva bigger than the Angkor Wat..a colossal construction for my beloved Lord :)

realdemigod
02 December 2010, 09:44 AM
Thanks a lot saidevo, the story is very inspirational..but I do want to construct a magnificent temple, so big and beautiful never seen on earth before .. for the Supreme Lord Shiva..for all the glories He alone deserves :)

ritueshwara
29 December 2010, 08:50 AM
Koti Lingeshwara can be considered