PDA

View Full Version : Respect vis-a-vis Tolerance: An Article

TatTvamAsi
12 December 2010, 12:47 PM
Here is an article on the need for "respect" vis-a-vis tolerance by Rajiv Malhotra: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rajiv-malhotra/hypocrisy-of-tolerance_b_792239.html

It points out the hypocrisy with the Abrahamic faiths who claim "tolerance", which we really know is pure nonsense, but speak a different language privately. Rajiv Malhotra is making a lot of these vermin uncomfortable; and that is why he should be lauded.

Sahasranama
12 December 2010, 12:51 PM
I do not respect Christianity, but I do respect people's choice to be Christian up to a certain extent.

sanjaya
12 December 2010, 09:10 PM
I do not respect Christianity, but I do respect people's choice to be Christian up to a certain extent.

That's a good way to put it; I think I feel the same way.

One thing I wonder though, is whether or not we can fault Christians for being Christian. Surely we can do so with the converts, but what of people born into this religion? We as Hindus believe that one's birth is generally coorelated to his karma, and that it may be a person's karma to be Christian, Muslim, or whatever, even though these religions do not accurately portray God. If God himself has placed these people in these religions, then can we blame them for failing to convert to a more peaceful faith?

Maya3
12 December 2010, 09:23 PM
Christianity has a very strong pull on people.
Never having been Christian I cannot explain why, but I think that in the U.S the community part of it means a lot. And I think the fact that they think that their relatives will wait for them "on the other side" makes it "easy" and comfortable to believe in.
I think a lot of people look at those two aspects and not at what the rest of it really means.
If they had truly looked at the resurrection and thought about how much it contradicts science and the study of the universe and so on, I think more people would leave it behind.

Maya

TatTvamAsi
13 December 2010, 02:56 PM
I think the bigger picture and purpose of the article is being missed. Rajiv Malhotra is not a duffer; he knows that respect for other religions is contradictory and antithetical to Abrahamic faiths. He is putting those people in a spot because they publicly espouse "tolerance", "respect", and "cohesion" when in private and actuality they don't care two hoots about it. They know this deep down, and hence some avoid the questions altogether while others dodge them, like the Lutheran minister he talks about.

The point here is not whether we should respect Abrahamic faiths, that is, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It is whether true mutual respect is even possible for them given their religious diktats. Rajiv Malhotra, if I may presumptuously state, knows this to be true and so wants them to face the reality instead of them hiding behind their wall of flowery terms and language. It is their hypocrisy he is bringing out.

Those religions have perennially stated each one is the "only way" blah blah which is typical and that is why they are all considered mlecchas. Hinduism, is the antipode of that and since it is politically incorrect to appear intolerant, emphasis on appear, the Abrahamics have come up with some loose interpretations, balderdash, and absolute nonsense in some instances to appear so (tolerant). Everyone knows this is pure bunk. Case in point: "Islam is a religion of peace!". :rolleyes:

This also ties into the discussion about Radical Universalism because, as was stated before, we Hindus impose a tolerant interpretation and even esoteric interpretation on their garbage (Abrahamic faiths) and then claim they too are "tolerant". This is simply not the case. It is antithetical to their core belief(s) which insist that only their path is valid and others are doomed etc. etc.

Hindus must wake up to this hypocrisy, however subtle, and call these idiots on it. This is the conundrum with these animals practicing Yoga as well; it is antithetical to their religious beliefs which presuppose separation between the creator and creation.

Next time a jew, christian, or muslim claims their religion is "tolerant", show them this article.

Eastern Mind
13 December 2010, 06:10 PM
Vannakkam TTA: You're absolutely right. Those guys have a hidden agenda. Surfacely nice and then sneaky like weasels behind the scenes. Not unlike some politicians.

My example is distributing temple announcements to Indian grocery stores. "Oh yes, no problem, I'll put that up later today." (Malayalee Christian) smile smile (fake smile) Of course when I returned, the poster wasn't up. I would have preferred a direct 'No'.

They just provide lip service, nothing more. I went to a friend's moving away party and saw some Sri Lankan Christians I hadn't seen in a few years. Talk about cold stares! They viewed myself and a few strong Hindus as Satan himself, back when we started the temple. They employed every underhanded trick in the book to block it, but with Ganesha's Grace we proceeded with confidence and strength thereby providing a dharmic street to walk on. If not, half my fence-sitting friends would be full fledged Catholics by now.

So the message for all who like the fake-tolerant variety, please read between the lines. When they ask you to come to church, ask them to come to temple. When they offer you a bible, offer them a BG. It won't take long to bring out the hidden agenda they offer up. Wolves in sheep clothing.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
13 December 2010, 09:06 PM
This also ties into the discussion about Radical Universalism because, as was stated before, we Hindus impose a tolerant interpretation and even esoteric interpretation on their garbage (Abrahamic faiths) and then claim they too are "tolerant". This is simply not the case. It is antithetical to their core belief(s) which insist that only their path is valid and others are doomed etc. etc.

Hindus must wake up to this hypocrisy, however subtle, and call these idiots on it. This is the conundrum with these animals practicing Yoga as well; it is antithetical to their religious beliefs which presuppose separation between the creator and creation.

+1

-

Rationalist
15 December 2010, 07:43 PM
I think the bigger picture and purpose of the article is being missed. Rajiv Malhotra is not a duffer; he knows that respect for other religions is contradictory and antithetical to Abrahamic faiths. He is putting those people in a spot because they publicly espouse "tolerance", "respect", and "cohesion" when in private and actuality they don't care two hoots about it. They know this deep down, and hence some avoid the questions altogether while others dodge them, like the Lutheran minister he talks about.

The point here is not whether we should respect Abrahamic faiths, that is, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. It is whether true mutual respect is even possible for them given their religious diktats. Rajiv Malhotra, if I may presumptuously state, knows this to be true and so wants them to face the reality instead of them hiding behind their wall of flowery terms and language. It is their hypocrisy he is bringing out.

Those religions have perennially stated each one is the "only way" blah blah which is typical and that is why they are all considered mlecchas. Hinduism, is the antipode of that and since it is politically incorrect to appear intolerant, emphasis on appear, the Abrahamics have come up with some loose interpretations, balderdash, and absolute nonsense in some instances to appear so (tolerant). Everyone knows this is pure bunk. Case in point: "Islam is a religion of peace!". :rolleyes:

Next time a jew, christian, or muslim claims their religion is "tolerant", show them this article.

Bravo! So apropos! Pearls of Truth! You should join the Yoga forums and tell this to the idiots in the Religion section (which I, and another Hindu, have been trying to convince them of for ages).