PDA

View Full Version : shiva lingas

truthseeker96
13 December 2010, 12:20 PM
do you have any links for a beautiful, but under 100 dollar shiva lingas? i'm just starting to get into this worship stuff (i've been doing japa for months, however) and i can't afford anything over 100 dollars being that i have no job

and how should i worship it? those guides that i've read seem so greek to me (which is ironic because i know a fair amount of greek, haha)

peace and love, god's blessings to all of you

jonathan

Eastern Mind
13 December 2010, 01:03 PM
Vannakkam: Try going to Indian shops in your area, if there are any. Often grocery shops will carry a selection of such items. Thet will be more reasonably priced than the on line ones. Most on line ones are narmadas, and you will need some sort of base.

Aum Namasivaya

c.smith
13 December 2010, 04:07 PM
Japa is a great way to start, as would be puja and arti. A simple Shiva puja can be found at www.shreemaa.org/drupal/archive/all/2006/2 (http://www.shreemaa.org/drupal/archive/all/2006/2) scroll down to "Shiva" then to #19.

Best of luck and Om Namah Shivaya!

realdemigod
14 December 2010, 10:56 AM
truthseeker - It depends on what are you looking for. If you just want to pray to Lord Shiva.. you don't need a linga as such.. since you have been doing japa for long time.. Lord Shiva listens to your prayers. If you want a good quality Shiva linga just contemplate while you pray to the Supreme Lord and He will ensure it reaches you in one way or other. :)

For worshiping the linga you need to approach a true authentic priest who can do what's called 'Prana Pratishta' which is installing or inhabiting Lord Shiva in this case at your place. But most people don't follow these. I didn't either I bought a nice Shiva linga from a temple and started doing pooja the next day. You don't have to worry you will incur bad things if you don't do Prana Pratishta. But if you do it's very good. For pooja again there is a ritual mentioned in scriptures. It doesn't matter with what you are worshiping the Lord as long as your love for him is pure. No matter what the Supreme Lord Shiva resides in the hearts of all his children.

giridhar
21 December 2010, 03:38 AM
The best answer !!

truthseeker - It depends on what are you looking for. If you just want to pray to Lord Shiva.. you don't need a linga as such.. since you have been doing japa for long time.. Lord Shiva listens to your prayers. If you want a good quality Shiva linga just contemplate while you pray to the Supreme Lord and He will ensure it reaches you in one way or other. :)

For worshiping the linga you need to approach a true authentic priest who can do what's called 'Prana Pratishta' which is installing or inhabiting Lord Shiva in this case at your place. But most people don't follow these. I didn't either I bought a nice Shiva linga from a temple and started doing pooja the next day. You don't have to worry you will incur bad things if you don't do Prana Pratishta. But if you do it's very good. For pooja again there is a ritual mentioned in scriptures. It doesn't matter with what you are worshiping the Lord as long as your love for him is pure. No matter what the Supreme Lord Shiva resides in the hearts of all his children.

A Shiv linga reached me the same way. kept doing japa & mental pooja during japa.. few months, i started hunting for Shiva Linga & got it woth ease.. What more, i also found a Tantrik who taught me the mudras - Panchopachaar ( 5 offering worship) ..

The single most important things is - mental, physical purity, yearning for Shakti the Mother & brahmacharya.

All the rest - Shri Shakti Shiva will do for you, as any parent will , for their child...

If you are really that interested in a pooja, learn it from a temple priest...

For Pooja at home, Shiv linga can be made of anything - mud, brass, sphatik ( which you can buy for less than 5000 rupees) etc etc..

Best Wishes
Shiva Shambho

yajvan
21 December 2010, 02:06 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

oṁ liṅgaya namaḥ

More on liṅgaṃ लिङ्गं- meaning 'mark' or 'sign' can be found here:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3732&highlight=li%26%237749%3Bgaya

praṇām

truthseeker96
21 December 2010, 02:28 PM
thank you!