PDA

View Full Version : vedic metal

truthseeker96
15 December 2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVvDOTxEb_Q

could singing songs like this be considered a form of worship? is there a spiritual benifit from it?

sorry for posting this in the classical indian section, it was the closest that i could find

peace and love

Adhvagat
15 December 2010, 02:48 PM
At 3:33!

Amazing!

Arjuni
15 December 2010, 04:11 PM
Namasté,

Could singing songs like this be considered a form of worship?
I hope this song doesn't become a part of worship; there's no way I could sing in that register!

Okay, okay, all joking aside! :)

Is there a spiritual benefit from it?

On the one hand, the video is a neat exploration of that moment when Arjuna learns the truth of the Self. It's entertaining - a touch too modern and 300-esque for my personal taste, but still good - and might introduce a Sanatana Dharma concept or two to a metal fan just looking for a good song. They discuss such things in interview (http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/Rudra-Sept2004.htm), too, so again, they're getting Vedic ideas out there to folks who may never have heard of such things.

On the other hand, sound is power, and this sound is tremendously dark, raging, growling. Would it not stimulate and reinforce rajasic emotions like anger, which would be at odds with a desire for spiritual benefit? The video seems to glorify war as well as the realisation of the Self.

So I wouldn't say that it's entirely non-spiritual, but not entirely spiritual, either. This particular song wouldn't be part of my practice simply because the lead singer's voice drives me bonkers - I keep wanting to tell him to clear his throat! - but I'm not averse to using modern/non-traditional music for spiritual purposes, either, especially if that's what inspires and moves you. I just try to be careful in my choices.

(Thank you for sharing this video, by the way! In return, check out YouTube for E.S. Posthumus' album Makara. "Vishnu," "Indra," "Kalki," and "Varuna" are all brilliant.)

Indraneela
===
"I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
15 December 2010, 05:58 PM
I don't know, but this type of music gives me a headache.

Eastern Mind
15 December 2010, 06:17 PM
Vannakkam:

Sorry, but I'm with Indraneela and Sahasranama. I just prefer cooling soft melody. That stuff gets my nerves twisting in eerie unrelaxing ways. Still it beats Christmas carols or twangy cowboy music, I guess.
:)
But to each is own.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
16 December 2010, 12:22 AM
I guess, in some circles any type of screaming/noise making passes for singing/music. Could this be considered a spiritual activity and a form of worship - I don't know how this type of arrangement could result in peace and tranquility for anybody's inner core, but whatever floats your boat!

Rasa1976
16 December 2010, 08:50 AM
It could be a kind of worship, but since the Christian metal came first you might be erasing several thousand years of progress.

truthseeker96
16 December 2010, 03:59 PM
thanks guys ^_^

NayaSurya
16 December 2010, 04:31 PM
I like it! It sounds a lot like a young version of Metallica. Ride the Lightning album!

I love the graphics too...it's so beautiful.

It is loud and lively, so as I have aged a huge lot I do not think I would be using it for my daily meditation. But, it's awesome<3

TatTvamAsi
18 December 2010, 07:53 PM
I guess, in some circles any type of screaming/noise making passes for singing/music. Could this be considered a spiritual activity and a form of worship - I don't know how this type of arrangement could result in peace and tranquility for anybody's inner core, but whatever floats your boat!

hahahahah.. so true.. although I have to say the percussion in that song is insane!

Rationalist
20 December 2010, 09:02 PM
Anytime I hear even vestiges of Western music being introduced into any type of religious prayer/hymn/etc, I spam the "X" button at the top right corner of my window.

charlebs
16 April 2011, 06:21 PM
I love all music, here's my share:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3s9WVIn9yQ

it's all about being like me, a robot. some of us are power driven, but you can notice in the eye who's a robot. they're the best actors because they do not need to think.

wham the music started, I'm out of here

Water
16 April 2011, 06:58 PM
That was quite interesting and thanks for sharing it. I'm not exactly going to load it in to my favorite music device and listen to it much... or ever again, but it was good to see that rendering...

Somewhat related (although, not really) here's a music video I somehow stumbled upon a while ago named "Hanuman."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENBX_v1Po1Y

If you are a fan of nylon strings on acoustic guitars - you have to give it a listen. Not sure why it is named what it is named... but it does make for a nice listen.

Obelisk
17 April 2011, 01:50 AM
One of my favourites is this track from the soundtrack of Matrix Revolutions, by Don Davis and Juno Reactor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kex6JNjtKfQ

I'm not really into techno but I think they did a great job here combining the alaaps and flute (bansuri) with electronica and orchestra. The choir chanting the Upanishadic verses is really epic too. :)

charlebs
17 April 2011, 03:42 AM
I love how people do their ultimate best to please hanuman and shiva, making such wild and beautiful music. : D :D :D :d

excuse me, I just came out of bed = p

Kvāni
07 July 2011, 07:08 PM
I've been a fan of Rudra for a little while now, and it was that video that got me into them. I actually found this thread looking to see if they'd been mentioned, and if not, I was going to post this myself. I don't know if it can be considered a form of worship - I think maybe it depends on your perpective... but at the very least it's some pretty high-quality metal. Personally I find that extremely heavy and chaotic music helps me diffuse negative emotions rather than enforce them, though that certainly isn't dependent on the lyrics being religious.

Their style reminds me a little of Melechesh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO71ZTzbi80), who play Sumerian/Mesopotamian-influenced black metal. Which takes guts considering they're from Jerusalem.