PDA

View Full Version : Prajapati

rainycity
18 December 2010, 07:12 AM
I've noticed a scarcity of information about Prajapati. Does anybody have any resources they can direct me to? From what I have gathered from the information available so far, Prajapati encompasses all of nature, representing specifically generative processes and creativity. He is the sacrifice, the sacrificer, as well as all things. He is similar to brahma. Can anybody tell me more?

devotee
18 December 2010, 09:45 AM
Namaste rainycity,

I've noticed a scarcity of information about Prajapati. Does anybody have any resources they can direct me to? From what I have gathered from the information available so far, Prajapati encompasses all of nature, representing specifically generative processes and creativity. He is the sacrifice, the sacrificer, as well as all things. He is similar to brahma. Can anybody tell me more?

It is heartening to see you sincerely interested in knowing something like this in Hindu religion. :)

Reg Prajaapati :

There are two well known figures in Pauranic stories who are known as Prajaapati.

One is Brahmaa , the creator of this universe. All beings are created by him, so all beings are called his "prajaa" (i.e. subject of a king) & so he is called Prajaapati.

The other was King Prajaapati also known as Daksha Prajaapati. He was the father of Sati, the first wife of Lord Shiva. His head was cut off by Lord Shiva when Sati scarificed herself in the scarificial fire (lit for Yajna) anguished over insult of her husband by his father. When requested by other Devas, Lord Shiva got him the head of a goat because his own head was destroyedd by the Ganas of Shiva.

OM

Atman
25 January 2011, 01:47 PM
Namaste rainycity,

It is heartening to see you sincerely interested in knowing something like this in Hindu religion. :)

Reg Prajaapati :

There are two well known figures in Pauranic stories who are known as Prajaapati.

One is Brahmaa , the creator of this universe. All beings are created by him, so all beings are called his "prajaa" (i.e. subject of a king) & so he is called Prajaapati.

The other was King Prajaapati also known as Daksha Prajaapati. He was the father of Sati, the first wife of Lord Shiva. His head was cut off by Lord Shiva when Sati scarificed herself in the scarificial fire (lit for Yajna) anguished over insult of her husband by his father. When requested by other Devas, Lord Shiva got him the head of a goat because his own head was destroyedd by the Ganas of Shiva.

OM

From what I've read from a few sources there are acetics who are not under the creation of 'Brahma,' and are even older than him- as Vishnu showed him when he thought he was the oldest person.