PDA

View Full Version : I am starting a blog

Sahasranama
18 December 2010, 11:09 PM
I am starting a blog, if you are interested you can read it here:

http://www.radhamukunda.com/

Believer
19 December 2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for letting us know about your blog. Good luck with your effort in the cause of Hinduism. Hope you will not abandon this forum and keep visiting/posting here too.

Sahasranama
19 December 2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, of course, I will continue to visit this forum.

I am translating a bhajan by surdas on my blog, I have some difficulty understanding the meaning of this line, maybe you can help?

प्रेम के बस नृप सेवा किन्हिं आप बने हरि नाई
prema ke basa nṛpa sevā kinhiṁ āpa bane hari nāī

Out of love the king served...???

Arjuni
19 December 2010, 03:15 AM
Namasté, Sahasranama,

I shall read your blog! Thanks for posting the link.

(And I shall help out by not suggesting meanings for that bhajan line. For I do not understand it and would be making up the translation completely. :D )

Indraneela
===
"I wait the power of one like thee, O Indra, gifts of a Helper such as thou art, Hero.
Strong, Mighty God, dwell with me now and ever."
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Sahasranama
19 December 2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks Indraneela, I understand. I have found a translation online, but it wasnt really accurate, so I translated it myself, except for this line which I do not understand.

Believer
19 December 2010, 11:45 AM
Did not mean to ignore your request for a translation, I am just not learned enough in Hindi to translate that line for you. Sorry.

Sahasranama
19 December 2010, 11:59 AM
No worries, I'll leave it untranslated.

Ganeshprasad
19 December 2010, 12:57 PM
Pranam Sahasranama
congratulations for the blog

I am translating a bhajan by surdas on my blog, I have some difficulty understanding the meaning of this line, maybe you can help?

प्रेम के बस नृप सेवा किन्हिं आप बने हरि नाई
prema ke basa nṛpa sevā kinhiṁ āpa bane hari nāī

Out of love the king served...???

I must say i love this bhajan but the verse you quote is not often sung.
I wonder which King would he have in mind and the meaning is bit difficult, direct translation could be, you became hari not.
gist of it for me would be you served the King despite of your status of the Lord off all

Jai Shree Krishna

Believer
19 December 2010, 02:51 PM
My take,

Out of love, You put aside your (exalted) status as 'Hari' ( - the supreme Lord) and served the king (Arjun, as his charioteer).

Ganeshprasad
19 December 2010, 03:22 PM
Pranam

I like this translation Believer come up with;

Out of love, You put aside your (exalted) status as 'Hari' and served the king.

Serving Arjun as his charioteer is a seprate line, besides he never was a King.
prema ke basa arjuna ratha hāńkhyo
bhūla gaye ṭhakurāī

Jai Shree Krishna

Shanti
19 December 2010, 03:42 PM
I've bookmarked your blog, thanks for letting us know!

I'm useless with the translation part, but I too like Believer's take on it.

~S

Sahasranama
20 December 2010, 09:21 PM
Thank you both for helping with the translation!

PARAM
21 December 2010, 10:07 AM

May your blog also promote and protect Dharma, we cannot wait for Kalki but we can do our Karma, and our Karma is Dharma

TatTvamAsi
23 December 2010, 01:21 AM
Nice!

Looking forward to new posts on Dharma..

PARAM
24 December 2010, 08:56 AM
I must tell you Ashvmedh Yajna do not mean Killing of Horse, calling it Horse Sacrifice in not right. The word Bali is not Killing, it is purnahuti.

Sahasranama
24 December 2010, 09:50 AM
I have read pandey pandit sriramanarayana dattaji shashtri's article on the subject and he makes a good case that there were no animal slaughter in the vedas, but his analasis isn't waterproof. But I didn't go in the argument, because I was comparing a different trait, namely the willingness of Krishna to accept an offering out of love contrasted to the biblical deity. Discussing animal sacrifice on that post would have been a distraction of my main argument.

Believer
24 December 2010, 12:45 PM
I had heard this before and read the name Frank Morales mentioned many times in the forum, but never bothered to read his views. Finally I clicked on the link in your blog and gave a quick read to the article on Radical Universalism and confirmed my suspicions about its origins. It is amazing that our Hindu 'intellectuals' of the day still give credence to, and espouse this unholy line about all religions being equal and all paths leading to God. The Hindu swamis coming to the West toe this line in order to be accepted by the Christians, and in time it has generally come to be accepted by many Indian Hindus and by some of the converts (specially Rama Krishna Mission followers and some of the ISKCON followers) that Krishna and Jesus are one and the same, or, are father and son. This perpetuation and propagation of diluted form of Hinduism must be countered at every opportunity. You either cross the threshold and accept SD or stay with your mumbo jumbo. Acceptance of the introduction of ideas alien to SD should be met head on and countered to the fullest. It is a disgrace that many Hindus have embraced this flawed logic and have gotten on board with this tag line of 'all religions lead to the same God'. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Many a times some members in the forum, loosely attached to SD will start chiding us for being ethnocentric by claiming that our religion is the best and yada, yada, yada. I do not yield to such non-sense. It is, what it is. If one does not like the reality, he/she is free to move on to where they feel comfortable.

sanjaya
24 December 2010, 05:08 PM
Interesting blog. I only see one post so far. If I may ask, what is to be its primary focus?

Sahasranama
24 December 2010, 11:35 PM
Believer, I am glad that you read that article. Radical Universalism became popular even in India in the 19th century, many people in that time were influenced by Ram Mohan Roy and by British education that called our religion superstitious. Big movements arose to sanitise Hinduism and to make it acceptible for foreigners.

Sanjaya, I have not narrowed it down too much, but mainly I want to talk about traditional/ authentic Hinduism opposed to Victorian Hinduism. I also want to build a page with resources to various sites with good information.

sanjaya
25 December 2010, 09:38 AM
Traditional vs. Victorian Hinduism, huh? That would be a most interesting topic. I've always wondered how much influence Victorian Britain had on Hindu culture, especially since so many values that are called Hindu bear a striking resemblance to Victorian values. Looking forward to your future posts.

Sahasranama
25 December 2010, 10:09 AM
I made up that word, but what I mean with Vicotorian Hinduism is everything influenced by Ramamohan Roy etc. But I don't promise to post about that, I'll be probably making posts about random topics.

Believer
26 December 2010, 12:17 AM
Sahas,

'Lord Krishna denounced the delicacies of Duryodhana and instead he ate vegetables at the house of Vidura.'

Regarding your blog, If you were looking to give the bhaav-arth instead of the literal translation, here is one suggestion:

'Lord Krishna forsake the sumptuous feast at Duryodhana's palace in favor of a simple meal at Vidura's house.'

PARAM
26 December 2010, 10:05 AM

I have read pandey pandit sriramanarayana dattaji shashtri's article on the subject and he makes a good case that there were no animal slaughter in the vedas, but his analasis isn't waterproof.

Don't go by just one Article, Ancient Dharm dose not allows any killing to be offered, in Kaliyug tantrikism started all this.

But I didn't go in the argument, because I was comparing a different trait, namely the willingness of Krishna to accept an offering out of love contrasted to the biblical deity. Discussing animal sacrifice on that post would have been a distraction of my main argument.Thats why I did not posted it in your blog, and posted it here.

I made up that word, but what I mean with Vicotorian Hinduism is everything influenced by Ramamohan Roy etc. But I don't promise to post about that, I'll be probably making posts about random topics.

I think every part of Hinduism is now important to protect Dharm, many have registered themselves as non Hindu organisations just to protect themselves from anti Hindu rules.

Ramakrishna
02 January 2011, 02:28 AM
Namaste Sahasranama,

I checked it out and it looks good so far. I'm looking forward to more posts.

Jai Sri Ram

Mystical Soul
19 March 2017, 09:02 PM
Namaste Sahasranama, i wish you an auspicious blogg experience. I also have a blogg and I share it here. It is about the journey of a western Hindu (yours truly) and my efforts to dispel some of the negative misunderstandings of this wonderful way of life. Please check it out at theinvisiblehindu.com

Aum