PDA

View Full Version : Why didnt Shri Krishan Bhagwan Marry With Radha Ji?

saral
22 December 2010, 11:56 PM
Namste All

Everybody tells about Shri Krishan and Radha ji eternal love but not about there marriage or what happened to Radha Ji after Shri Krishan left her. I just want to know if Shri Krishna Ji marries with Rukmani, Satyabhama and thousands others then why not with Radha ji?.

I am asking this question only to know more about Shri Krishna and Radha ji.Please forgive me if my question or language hurt anyone here.

Saadar

Saral

PARAM
23 December 2010, 10:56 AM

Radha is not mentioned in the Mahabharata, however Many texts in Mahabharata are missing so we have to check in other texts
She is not mentioned in Harivansa, and there is only a single mention about her in Bhagwat.

In South Indian Granthas, she is mentioned as Nappinnai, wife of Krishna in the Tamil work Silappadikaram, and in the Gatha-Saptasati of Satvahan King Hala.

In Sanskrit literature, Radha figures in a benedictory verse found in three inscriptions of the Emperor Vakpati Munja Parmar of Malva ( AD 973 - 994). However, when Jayadev, the court poet of King Lakshmansen (AD1179 - 1203) made her the heroine of Geet Govind as the raseshvari, since then spiritual love affair of the divine Krishna and devotee Radha, became a theme celebrated all over.

The Chaitanya school believes that Radha is revealed and concealed in the verse and Bhagavata Purana. It is also believed that Radha is not just one maiden, but is the origin of all the gopis, or divine personalities that participate in the rasa dance.

Gopikas were much elder to krishna and were married to others, Radha was an aunty kind to Krishna, so in no cicumstance Krishan can marry Radha. Worship of Radha Krishan shows Krishan Bhakt.

Sahasranama
23 December 2010, 11:01 AM
In the brahma vaivarta purana it is mentioned that Brahma-ji himself was the purohit in the marriage of Radha and Krishna.

sanjaya
23 December 2010, 06:32 PM
I'd be interested to learn more about this too. I find myself often having trouble pieceing together the informaton about Sri Krishna that comes from various sources.

Sahasranama
23 December 2010, 11:29 PM
In the bhagavata purana and the vishnu purana Radha is not mentioned. Radha is mentioned in the brahmavaivarta purana, padma purana and devi bhagavata purana.

There are two possible reasons.

1)Bhagavata and Vishnu Purana focus on the purush aspect and Brahmavaivarta and Devi Bhagavata on the prakriti aspect. According to these last two puranas Sri Krishna Bhagavan has five main prakritis: Durga, Radha, Laxmi, Sarasvati, Savitri.

2)Radha is the Hladini Shakti, the power of bliss, of Sri Krishna Bhagavan. Krishna comes down to earth every kalpa, but Radhika only came to earth during one kalpa. I do not remember exactly which kalpa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalpa_%28aeon%29). In the brahmavaivarta it's described that Radha and Krishna married in secret with Brahma-ji as the purohit. It's a long time ago that I read this story, so I don't remember all the details.

anirvan
24 December 2010, 12:40 AM
radhaji was never married to srikrishna in worldly sense.when srikrishna left to dwarka, all gopis,nanda-yasoda,and radhaji were drawn into BIRAHA...the pang of separation..from srikrishna.

this biraha is actually the real bhakti sadhna...the tapasya,where all humanly personality are burnt in the fire of biraha,and a new subtle body...the chinmaya body is formed inside us...the body which can enter nitya golokdham...the permanent and eternal abode of srikrishna .

when that process completed,(it took 100 yrs--its actually a metaphorical number to teach human the process of spiritual transformation in bhakti marga)
sri krishna arranged a yanja..the GREAT PRABHAS YANJA....where everybody was invited from india EXCEPT gopapuri.still everybody including radha,nanda-yashoda came to yajna.its the final MILAN...union in the world of srikrishna and his eternal sathis...parshad.after which every body of gopapuri took water samadhi.......left corporal body by drowning in Yamuna...and left to nityalok...the eternal vrindavan,after few years...srikrishna also left the world to there after killed by sabar.

anirvan
24 December 2010, 12:46 AM
srikrishna-sriradhaji were actually came to earth to show we human the path of true bhakti--the eternal love path to follow.he wanted to bless us the path by practical drama.so he and his hladini shakti came as srikrishna-radha.they are one individual....took form of two in world and to demonsrate how again became one.

where is the need for humanly marriage?in goudiya bhakti marga.......we humans are all a form of sriradha.we are separated from our soul srikrishna.and this is the path where we can again combine with him.

love grows exponentially with pang of separation,not with union.thats why birah...the separation is integral part of love.

srikrishnam saranamastu

jayaguru

amra
24 December 2010, 05:38 AM
Krishna is Radha, so how can he marry her?
All of Krishna's other wives are parts of Radha so he marries them only to enjoy Radha through them.
Krishna is never seperate from Radha he is closer to Radha than her jugular vein

Sahasranama
24 December 2010, 06:17 AM
Shiva and Parvati are also the same, shivashaktyaika, they also got married. :)

sunyata07
24 December 2010, 06:55 AM
Namaste,

Interesting topic you posted. I was thinking about this about a month ago. When I first learned that Radha was never actually married to Krisha, I was surprised and very confused at first. I actually ended up going to indiadivine.org and trying to look for answers there, after finding no such topic posted here (until now, of course). On a more mundane level, I think Radha was not only older than Krishna but she was also married or maybe promised to be married to another person(?). Can anyone confirm this for me, or did Radha remain unmarried for the remainder of her life?

It isn't entirely clear to me even now, but the answers I gleaned from around the place seem closest to what Amra has been saying. Krishna and Radha are not separate, even though to the individual observing Them blissfully happy in each other's company, They appear separate. Their's is a very special relationship, a unique love unlike any other, the ultimate embodiment of love between God and soul which goes beyond and even defies social conventions like marriage. I advise having a quick read over this topic (http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/hare-krishna-forum/436019-why-didnt-krishna-marry-radha.html) - there are quite a few insightful answers there which you may find useful.

Om namah Shivaya

PARAM
24 December 2010, 08:21 AM
I don't think Krishna ever married Radha.

After Jaidev Goswami, Surdas made devotion of Radha Krishan popular.

Some scholars of Gargsamhita and Brahmavaivartapuran say that Rukmini and Radha are one as Devi Lakshmi herself.

Some stories in Braj say Krishna married Radha in Braj before getting married to Rukmini and Satyabhama etc.

Some scholars say that Radha was power of and not wife of Krishna, i.e. Radha was Krishna and Krishna was Radha. There is no deference between them, all the gopis were richa of Rig-Veda. And Rukmani was incarnation of Devi Laxmi and was Krishna's wife.

Believer
24 December 2010, 02:37 PM
As has been so eloquently stated before, Radha and Krishna, and for that matter, Rama and Hanuman are there for us to learn about the Bhakti aspect of worship. We humans understand ONLY the physical relationships, but the appearance of Radha-Krishna and Ram-Hanuman are meant to show us the celestial relationships based on love and total devotion of a devotee towards the Lord. Maybe we can get our arms around these divine concepts as soon as we get our heads out of the relationships that exist between mere mortals. The sole purpose of Radha's and Hanuman's existence was to show the total lack of any goal/purpose in life other than to have pure devotion to, and to serve the Lord. Any discussion beyond that is to let the human mind run wild; think of these divine creations as mere humans and to try to link their pastimes/activities to mundane human existence.

Krishna is Radha, so how can he marry her?
All of Krishna's other wives are parts of Radha so he marries them only to enjoy Radha through them.
Another thing to consider is to choose our words correcly for explaining religious thoughts. The word 'enjoy' is quite crass when used in relation to the pastimes/activities of the divine. As soon as the word 'enjoy' is used for a relationship between the male and female, most humans start thinking about sex. This is not the case for the male/female forms of shakti. The divine beings don't need the human form of love which inevitably involves sex to feel fulfilled. So, I am careful to not use the word 'enjoy' when talking about divine relationships.

Krishna and Radha are not separate, even though to the individual observing Them, blissfully happy in each other's company, They appear separate. Their's is a very special relationship, a unique love unlike any other, the ultimate embodiment of love between God and soul which goes beyond and even defies social conventions like marriage.

Sunyata's description encapsulates what this relationship is meant to show us all - to go beyond the human concept of love-marriage-sex-enjoy and to show 'the ultimate embodiment of love between God and soul'. There is no need for tags like husband-wife or master-slave for divine relationships of Radha-Krishna and Ram-Hanuman to exist. They are pure acts of complete devotion of a devotee to the object of his/her worship.

Sahasranama
25 December 2010, 12:15 AM
Luckily, I was at the wedding of Radha and Krishna and took some wedding pictures for my album. ;)

Sahasranama
25 December 2010, 12:24 AM
I was also at the wedding of Shiva and Parvati and took a picture of the baraat. :p

Sahasranama
25 December 2010, 12:30 AM
When I was invited to the wedding of Rama and Sita, I took this picture. :D

Believer
25 December 2010, 11:29 AM
My dear Sahas,

Please forgive me for not realizing that we had a deity of the caliber of Narad Muni - who could travel between the celestial and earthly domains and also travel in time - amongst us. We are so fortunate to have such an exalted soul in the forum who can provide us with the pictures taken with his cell phone camera, of all the important events in the lives of our Gods during their different incarnations. Where would we be without the cell phone cameras and the internet? The only thing that could have made this visual experience even more fulfilling would have been a video footage of these events. Perhaps you had your video camera with you but the priests told you that it was a no no to make a video of these events, as that might be inauspicious.

At the personal level, I am so glad to have you as a friend and a trusted adviser who can take me from the material realm to the divine realm and bring me right back. Your magic carpet is awesome and your cell phone camera is simply great. We will have these pictures for the future generations of devotees to prove that their Lordships indeed got married per the Hindu rites, which proves that Hinduism is the greatest religion in the world. Since you were a barati at all these events, please let us know what was served in the feast? Was it all vegetarian food or did they deviate from the dharma for this one feast for the baratis?

With all these pictures, I am confused about your loyalty to one sampradaye? Also, giving us the links was a smart move. You were able to interject your personal agenda and talk about the marriage of other deities besides the one mentioned by the OP. It was so sweet of you to give us, saffron terrorists, a glimpse of what happened back in different yugas of our history, and we are eternally greatful to you.

My deepest respects and an expectation of more details.

Regards.

Sahasranama
25 December 2010, 11:32 AM
LOL, I hope you realise I was joking around. ;)

Unfortunately, we don't have video proof, all we have is shabda pramana of the itihasas and puranas.

Believer
25 December 2010, 11:42 AM
So was I. :)
We covered all the points from my Dharmic discussion sticky.

PARAM
26 December 2010, 09:30 AM

Believer has given right example, Radha Krishna were never married, Shiv Parvati and Sita Ram were merried .

Radha's presence shows only Bhakt's presence with Ishwar. I can recall two incidents-

Hot Milk Incident-

Krishna's wives were jealous of Radha, because Krishna's immeasurable love for Radha. Once, they gave the bowl of burning hot milk to Radha, saying that Krishna had sent it for her and unaware Radha readily drank the hot milk, however she did not suffered. When the surprised wives returned to Krishna, they found him full of painful ulcers. Krishna took all her pain and miseries upon himself.

Charanaamrit Incident-

All of Krishna’s Bhakt was not happy with Krishna's immeasurable love for Radha.
Once, Sri Krishna got very ill. Krishna asked that he would be alright if, he drinks the Charanaamrit of a true devotee. Everyone was asked but all of them were afraid of committing a serious offense, by offering the water to Sri Krishna with which they had washed their feet, so nobody except Radha agreed, she said: "What does it matter if I have to go to narak but my Lord must be released of pain".

That proves Radha Krishna were not married, they were Bhakt and Ishwar

kahanam
29 December 2010, 02:20 AM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/kahanam/radha_krishna.jpg

Radha is Jeevaatma and Lord Krishna Paramaatmaa! Depending upon one's understanding, Advaitic, Vishishtadvaitic or Dvaitic, one can interpret their union!:):):)

anirvan
29 December 2010, 07:50 AM
dear kahanam.your answer is the most appropriate and open to all sect of hinduism..excellent

PARAM
31 December 2010, 09:42 AM
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l499/kahanam/radha_krishna.jpg

Radha is Jeevaatma and Lord Krishna Paramaatmaa! Depending upon one's understanding, Advaitic, Vishishtadvaitic or Dvaitic, one can interpret their union!:):):)

Are you sure this is Radha and not Rukmini Devi ? Devi Rukmini is also worshipped with Krishan at Pandarpur and Dwarka.

Always Radha Krishan are shown in romance and not in Bhakti. Next time Gays will ask Why did Krishna did not marry Arjun.

Devotion should not be seen as sex based, Radha Krishan marriage or romance is nothing just Bhakti.

Even Mira was married herself to Krishna, but that too was Bhakti.

Tapasya
01 January 2011, 01:43 PM
Namaste,
Radha Devi’s relationship with Sri Krishna’s is that of a Bhakta to Ishvara. Thus, though the individual bhava may be different, it is identical in essence to that of Sri Hanuman to Sri Rama, Arjuna to Sri Krishna or Meerabai to Sri Krishna. Regardless of bhava the relationship involves Atma-samarpana (absolute surrender to Ishvara).
In fact, I think it is significant that in the Sri Krishna purana all the Bhakti Bhava’s are shown:
Yashoda Devi – Vatsalya Bhava (devotee treats the Divine as a mother doting on her child)
Kuchela (Sudama) - Daasya Bhakti (devotee behaves as a Servant to Divine)
Arjuna - Saakya Bhakti (devotee as a friend to Divine)
Bhishma - Santa Bhakti (devotee as a blissful supplicant to the divine)
Radha Devi - Madhura Bhakti (devotee as a Lover to Divine)
All these Bhavas are devoid of Ahamkara.
Given the above the question of marriage does not arise because the relationship transcends the temporal and corporeal. In any case (if my memory serves me right) as a matter of puranic accuracy:
(i) Radha Devi is already married to another;
(ii) Sri Krishna is but 10 years old when He leaves Vrindavan and the Gopi’s.

kd gupta
01 January 2011, 11:34 PM
Namste All

Everybody tells about Shri Krishan and Radha ji eternal love but not about there marriage or what happened to Radha Ji after Shri Krishan left her. I just want to know if Shri Krishna Ji marries with Rukmani, Satyabhama and thousands others then why not with Radha ji?.

I am asking this question only to know more about Shri Krishna and Radha ji.Please forgive me if my question or language hurt anyone here.

Saadar

Saral
Probably this may help you find answer
http://doosriradha.blogspot.com/2010/10/monkssanyasi-are-cheating-on-god.html