PDA

View Full Version : Here comes title

PARAM
24 December 2010, 09:31 AM

I was thinking about Itihas, mentioning it, I use some words but do not find them suitable

True Stories - It have two words, I was thinking about one word only, the another word 'story' is similar to fable in many saying.

Legend - I liked this word to use like Legend of Ram, Legend of Hanuman etc but in online dictionaries I find that Legend means unhistorical story or fairy tale that is very bad, it is meaning of Mythology but they are using it for Legend.

Is there any other good word also that should be used, also some Sanskrit word?

satay
24 December 2010, 09:53 AM
Namaste,
ithihaas literally means History in english so use the word history when talking about it.

saidevo
24 December 2010, 09:53 AM
namaste Param.

Story is not necessarily an imaginary or fictitious account because the word history itself contains story!

The equivalent Sanskrit terms for history are:
itihAsaH, purAvRttaM, purAbhUtaM, purANopAkhyAnaM, upAkhyAnaM, charitravarNanaM, vRttAntaM, udaMtaH, samAchAraH, vArtA, of course with shades of meaning.

Legend in Sanskrit means:
kathA, upAkhyAnaM, AkhyAyikA, purAvRtta-purANa-kathA, purAvRttaM, loka-jana-kathA, itihAsaH, purANam, with their shades of meaning.

Any historical or biographical account, even if it is an on-the-spot narration or an autobiography, is sure to be saddled with personal opinions and perceptions enlarged by imagination, so why try to distinguish between itihAsa-purANa-charitra/charita?

PARAM
26 December 2010, 09:49 AM

ithihaas literally means History in english so use the word history when talking about it.

So that sould be right to use as -
History of Ramayan, or History of Mahabharat, they are true events just like we can say History of Roman Empire or History of Gupta Empire.

Story is not necessarily an imaginary or fictitious account because the word history itself contains story!

The equivalent Sanskrit terms for history are:
itihAsaH, purAvRttaM, purAbhUtaM, purANopAkhyAnaM, upAkhyAnaM, charitravarNanaM, vRttAntaM, udaMtaH, samAchAraH, vArtA, of course with shades of meaning. All words are good but difficult to understand, we can use Ram Charit, but what about Ramayan and Mahabharat? Can we use Ramayan charitravarNanaM, or Mahabharat udaMtaH ?

Legend in Sanskrit means:
kathA, upAkhyAnaM, AkhyAyikA, purAvRtta-purANa-kathA, purAvRttaM, loka-jana-kathA, itihAsaH, purANam, with their shades of meaning.Are those meaning of Legand in Sanskrit ? or Legand is used in english translation of those words ?

Any historical or biographical account, even if it is an on-the-spot narration or an autobiography, is sure to be saddled with personal opinions and perceptions enlarged by imagination, so why try to distinguish between itihAsa-purANa-charitra/charita? I agree after millenniums, we have lost many texts and many texts have been alerted, we can understand them if we check the complete work. Adharm Groups are still out to alert Dharma Granths, we also have to protect Dharm Granths