http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvQTc-X86I

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIeaib6GHQk

Also this video on causality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PFZ92dMys&feature=related

Your comments please

sanjaya
27 December 2010, 01:34 PM
I don't know...I'm always careful about looking for too many allegories in movies like this. As far as I know, the only allegory the makers of this film actually intended was a Christian one; specifically the portrayal of Neo as a messiah figure who is betrayed by a close friend (the guy who wants to get back into the Matrix and forget about the real world), killed (by Agent Smith's bullets), and then brought back to life in a more powerful form (by a kiss...or something like that). I don't know to what extent these guys had Hinduism in mind.

The idea of the Matrix is that the world we know is illusory, and veils another world. I suppose that at first glance it may seem similar to the concept of Maya, but I feel like there are some distinct differences. The Matrix can be transcended by ordinary mortals. But even Brahma and other devas are drowned in God's Maya. Also, a person's life in the Matrix, i.e. his accomplishments, finances, relationships, etc., don't really matter, because they are not real. But Hinduism does not teach us to treat our lives that way. On the contrary, Sri Krishna has explained, in Bhagavad Gita, the importance of doing one's Dharma. Finally, my understanding is that beyond the veil of Maya is Brahman, the genuine form of God. Behind the Matrix, on the other hand, is a world that is essentially just like the one in the Matrix. Only the settings are different.

I suppose you could say there are similarities between the Matrix and Maya. But you could say the same thing about the holodeck in Star Trek: The Next Generation. So I'm not sure I would make this comparison at all.

Sahasranama
27 December 2010, 01:45 PM
I certainly think they were inspired by the Buddhist/ Advaita Vedantic idea that the world is an illusionairy dream. They may not have had all the philosophical details about maya right, but that's hardly expected from a hollywood movie.

Adhvagat
27 December 2010, 03:10 PM
The film is quite interesting and presents several topics that can be related to the concept of Maya, of course, as sci-fi action movie (with large budget) it will not be a direct philosophical representation of the concepts that inspired it.

I think I'm gonna re-watch Matrix taking notes (since it's one of my favorite movies, be it with cinematography, art direction, etc) and I'll bring some of the notes back here.

Thanks for bringing that up!

Om Tat Sat

The Occult
27 December 2010, 08:26 PM
Hmmmm... Interesting points there.Sanjaya,like you said, there are a lot of Christian story in it.I always felt that it looks like a Biblical story with Hindu philosophy.Calling Neo as the "One" and having prophecies told upon him makes it indeed looks biblical.

But I remember where Morpheus asks Neo "What is real", "How do you define real" coupled with the scenes like the spoon bending scene where the kid says "There is no spoon, its not the spoon you're bending but yourself" kind of made me felt that everything is only Brahman and like you're bending yourself(That is Brahman)

Also the scenes on Causality(everything has a cause and an effect),is kind of very similar to Karma.Also in the final series of the matrix, when the movie ends , we have this famous Hindu sloka being sung

Asatoma Satgamaya
Tamasoma Jyothirgamaya
Mrityoma Amritamgamaya

So all these made me think it has some Hindu philosophy in it.I wont say the movie was entirely an out and out Hindu Philosophy story but it has some parts in it.Also I have read in some sites that Wachowski brothers did go through some of the scriptures from Upanishads..lol, but IDK far that's true

TheOne
18 January 2011, 04:29 PM
Yes their are many similarities between "The Matrix" and not just Hinduism but many Eastern philosophies.
The nondual nature of Good and evil(The Oracle & Architect)
Morpheus's dialogue with Neo about what we interpret as real is merely electrical signals interpreted by our brain.
What is the matrix? It can't be shown it must be experienced similar to the way that no one comes to enlightenment only by realizing that all is Brahman they have to directly 'know it in your bones' that you are one with the Godhead.These are only a few points but here are a few websites that give you a more in depth explanation.

http://www.hinduyuva.org/hinduism_and_the_matrix

http://shyamk.blogspot.com/2007/01/matrix-hindu-philosophy.html

Eastern Mind
19 January 2011, 06:19 PM
Vannakkam TheOne:

The Dual nature of good and evil isn't exactly Eastern. Its far more Abrahamic. Much if not most of Hinduism is very non-dual.

Aum Namasivaya

TheOne
19 January 2011, 06:33 PM
Vannakkam TheOne:

The Dual nature of good and evil isn't exactly Eastern. Its far more Abrahamic. Much if not most of Hinduism is very non-dual.

Aum Namasivaya

I meant Non-dual. :p

sanjaya
19 January 2011, 07:42 PM
Vannakkam TheOne:

Aum Namasivaya

Yes, I think this is a very good point. My understanding is that Hinduism recognizes the idea of evil at a philosophical level (thus we have the ability to reject moral relativism and say that some things are objectively bad). However, we don't have a devil of any kind. I don't know if the Taoist idea of Yin and Yang has any roots in Hinduism either.

There are the rakshasas/asuras in Hinduism, but even they are not beyond redemption. It's even said that anyone killed at the hands of God receives instant moksha. Seems more singular than dual to me, with everything having its beginning and end with God.

Sahasranama
19 January 2011, 09:03 PM
Indeed, for example in the story of Krishna and the Kaliya snake. The snake seems evil poisoning the river, but he came there for protection and Krishna gave him protection, dancing on his heads, so that Garuda would not attack him. We also have Yuddhisthara who is the embodiment of Dharma, but he loses his wife and brothers in a game of dice. Good and bad are a lot more nuanced in Hinduism.

charlebs
01 April 2011, 12:17 PM
everything seems to be influenced by truth which stems from hinduism.

the other religions just are not complete yet. eventually everyone will notice the true way of thinking to approach God.

TheOne
01 April 2011, 02:36 PM
Well considering the Matrix used the Hindu Mantra(Om asatoma Sadgamaya) as a song for the end credits they gave a subtle hint that Hinduism played some part in the trilogy's philosophy.

Adhvagat
01 April 2011, 03:47 PM
War against massification. Am I the one? Is there such a thing as the one?

I think one can extract a lot of meaning from the virus-like spread of Smith. It's like the modern pasteurizing mentality that if you don't fit in, you're not as good as the rest, collective judgement based on capitalist standards, therefore it tries to convince you that being unique is not possible and even not desirable.

Desirable is to desire what others tell you to desire.