PDA

View Full Version : Ideal places to practice Asanas, Pranayama and Meditation?

Shakti9
28 December 2010, 09:58 AM
I have been reading up on these practices in recent times and was wondering; where should I take them up? What locations would be ideal?

I live in a major metropolitan area with little rural land around me, and within my home there is no free space which I can utilize to devote to these practices... So I was wondering what advice you'd all give me as to where I should visit.

Thank you.

yajvan
29 December 2010, 11:59 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

shakti9 writes,

What locations would be ideal?
Consider the following. Before we look where to do this, one's intent is of key concern.

We look to chapter 6 of the bhāgavad gītā , 23rd śloka, kṛṣṇa-ji says:
this yoga is to be practiced with firm resolve and heart undismayed.

Why do I think this 1st must be considered? We will not have ideal conditions to practice one's sadhana day-in and day-out if you are a householder.

Yet if one is of firm resolve (kratuš) then one will continue and not mind much or make an excuse that the conditions are not ideal for one's practice. ( Note too I am not inferring any one is making excuses here).

Now we can consider the surroundings and kṛṣṇa-ji gives us the instructions in chapter 6, various śloka-s :

in a clean place
alone
mind-and-body subdued
neither high or low
a clean seatpraṇām

words

kratu - desire , will; krátvā - willingly ; through the mere will ; power, intention

Shanti
29 December 2010, 03:47 PM
Welcome Shakti9,

Pranayama and meditation do not require much space at all. Just clear enough space to be able to sit on the floor.

Asanas would require just a little bit more space but too much. Do you have a hallway? That would suffice for most asanas.

If you have a small blanket, you could fold it enough to use as a mat for asanas and as a seat for meditation and pranayama.

If these cannot be managed, than perhaps a local gym nearby would let you use their workout room when it is not been used. Some temples have recreational rooms, you could ask if you could use that when not in use. Some libraries have meeting rooms that you may be able to use when available. Maybe if you have a friend with more space they could let you use there home or yard? Is there a park nearby? I used to practice occasionally at a park when I spent an extended period of time in Bangalore. It was peaceful, but sometimes random people might snap pics of you without permission.:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

~S

devotee
29 December 2010, 09:56 PM
Namaste Shakti,

I have been reading up on these practices in recent times and was wondering; where should I take them up? What locations would be ideal?

I live in a major metropolitan area with little rural land around me, and within my home there is no free space which I can utilize to devote to these practices... So I was wondering what advice you'd all give me as to where I should visit.

Thank you.

As Yajvan ji has stated, Lord Krishna advises in Chapter 6 of BG :

Yogi yunjeet satatamaatmaanam rahasi sthitah |
Ekaaki yatchittaatmaa niraasheerparigrahah || BG 6.10
Shuchau deshe pratishthaaya sthiramaasanamaamanah |
Naatyuchhtritam naatineecham chailaajinkushottaram || BG 6.11
Yogi should having control on his mind and sense organs, without having any (worldly) expectations and not desiring to accumulate worldly things for body comfort, should stay in a secluded place and practise continuous flow of thoughts towards the Self.

In a clean (& sacred) place which is neither very high nor very low & where kushaa ( a mat of special grass), deerskin & clothes are spread one over the other, the yogi should sit in a motionless state & keeping control over his mind-waves and sense organs activities , should practise yoga for purifying his self (heart/antahkaran).

Svetaasvatar Upanishad suggests :

Samau shuchau sharkaraavahnivaalukaa
Vivarjite shabdajalaashrayaadibhih |
Manonukoole na tu chakshupeedane
guhaanivaataashrayaNe prayojayet || S.U.2.10||

The place should be even, holy, without pebbles, fire, and sand without noise, such as coming from a crowd and not close to lakes and other sources of water. It should be pleasing to mind and not repulsive to sight. It should be a place such as a cave where there are no strong winds. Practise Yoga in such a place.

>>>>>>>>>>>

The above requirements are not easy to fulfil in today's environment of a city life. Therefore the sages advise :

You can practise yoga (meditation) in a closed room where no one disturbs you during meditation. You should practise Yoga comfortably sitting on a blanket to insulate your body from earthly currents.

I hope it helps.

OM

NayaSurya
31 December 2010, 09:47 PM
Sometimes it's hard to find a quiet place to do such things, and I do feel for you.

I use my bathroom. Though it's not a normal bathroom. It has a separate toilet with its own room with a door then the second room has a large whirlpool jacuzzi tub that fits two...very deep and surrounded on all sides by ceramic tiles.

Every morning I clean it floor up and then clean myself and then use it for meditation.

I do not know why but the sound of slightly higher C in this room resonates upwards so strongly and certain words said the correct way will vibrate so beautifully against the tile walls. I feel very very close to Beloved here in this place. It's very nice.

It is the only space in my home where I can remain undisturbed...during times when the children are off on vacations and holiday breaks.

Shakti9
02 January 2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond; all of your posts have been extremely useful and interesting for me to spend my time on.

Yet if one is of firm resolve (kratu¹) then one will continue and not mind much or make an excuse that the conditions are not ideal for one's practice.

I understand what you're saying, but I cannot feel at ease anywhere in my usual daily surroundings, and certainly, this feeling is detrimental to meditative practices. I guess this is an obstacle I need to surmount to make any progress where spirituality is concerned.

Nonetheless your post has been taken into account and I will try to take what you have said on board. Thank you.

Welcome Shakti9,

Pranayama and meditation do not require much space at all. Just clear enough space to be able to sit on the floor.

Asanas would require just a little bit more space but too much. Do you have a hallway? That would suffice for most asanas.

If you have a small blanket, you could fold it enough to use as a mat for asanas and as a seat for meditation and pranayama.

If these cannot be managed, than perhaps a local gym nearby would let you use their workout room when it is not been used. Some temples have recreational rooms, you could ask if you could use that when not in use. Some libraries have meeting rooms that you may be able to use when available. Maybe if you have a friend with more space they could let you use there home or yard? Is there a park nearby? I used to practice occasionally at a park when I spent an extended period of time in Bangalore. It was peaceful, but sometimes random people might snap pics of you without permission.:rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

~S

I have been advised that yoga, meditation, and indeed all Sadhana must be done in an area with excellent vibrations; for example: by a river, deep in the countryside, in a field, by the beach, on a hill, in a forest, etc. And I agree; the feelings I get when I am in a gloomy building of some sort, or near a busy road are very different to those I get in the aforementioned areas; the two are indeed poles asunder!

Therefore in following said advice, I, personally don't find the areas you name as being able to cultivate my Sadhana.

But nonetheless your post is much appreciated. :)

The above requirements are not easy to fulfil in today's environment of a city life. Therefore the sages advise :

You can practise yoga (meditation) in a closed room where no one disturbs you during meditation. You should practise Yoga comfortably sitting on a blanket to insulate your body from earthly currents.

What the latter part of your post describes is pretty doable. I suppose I'd just have to make sure nobody disturbs me with loud sounds, etc. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Sometimes it's hard to find a quiet place to do such things, and I do feel for you.

I use my bathroom. Though it's not a normal bathroom. It has a separate toilet with its own room with a door then the second room has a large whirlpool jacuzzi tub that fits two...very deep and surrounded on all sides by ceramic tiles.

Every morning I clean it floor up and then clean myself and then use it for meditation.

I do not know why but the sound of slightly higher C in this room resonates upwards so strongly and certain words said the correct way will vibrate so beautifully against the tile walls. I feel very very close to Beloved here in this place. It's very nice.

It is the only space in my home where I can remain undisturbed...during times when the children are off on vacations and holiday breaks.

Thanks a lot for this; i guess the areas in my home look like the only spaces which I could regularly use for Sadhana.

An intriguing description of your chosen room too, may I add; I too have noticed such things in holy buildings, and places used for spiritual practises. :P

There are some fields and a forest about 30 minutes from my home which could be used, but they're a little deserted and have a bad track record, and so I feel uneasy and at times unsafe in them, which is probably also detrimental to my practices; otherwise i'd utilise them no doubt.

Once again, thank you to everybody who has taken the time to post here.

- Shakti9