PDA

View Full Version : Question on japa and beads

c.smith
14 January 2011, 10:41 AM
A simple question with many answers - where is the japa mala to be held and how? I've seen several forms and feel a couple of ways personally but don't want to offend or feel out of sorts on my trip to Rishikesh and Haridwar later this month.

First, I feel that the beads become energized more and more as they are chanted upon. Secondly however, I feel that they are a tool to aid in mantra meditation and PERHAPS not much more. Please no scolding here - I'd like your views on this.

Second - I've seen pictures and actual people using the beads in certain ways. Some use a bead bag and chant at waist or heart level. Some chant at heart level and cover the beads with a cloth. Another sits for meditation and puts them in the lap, allowing them to fall to the ground while chanting. With this, the beads are uncovered. Have seen additional methods but won't list all of them here. Perhaps members could add their own.

My personal preference is to either sit on the ground or a chair and let the beads fall as they may, uncovered, but I'm not sure that I feel that I'm honoring the "holiness" and sacredness that is becoming more and more a part of the mala. Thus the question.

I humbly ask for your replies.

Om Namah Sivaya!

Clayton

devotee
14 January 2011, 07:54 PM
Namaste Smith,

There is no hard and fast rule as such for where to keep Mala, as far as I know. Just take care that it doesn't fall on the ground (it may get dirty). It can be kept in lap, as I prefer, it can also be held in both the hands -- one counting and the other supporting the Mala. You may also use wooden support to keep your beads-counting hand supported and then you may allow the mala to just hang in the air holding in the counting hand.

OM

Eastern Mind
16 January 2011, 10:34 AM
Vannakkam C. Smith: I agree with devotee. The mala is a tool. The real japa is what the effects are on the inside. How does your inner brain react when chanting the mantra you chant? Malas also do wear out and need to be repaired or replaced, so I would not put too much emphasis on the physical mala itself or how an individual uses it. Personally I let mine hang free and use the thumb to roll it over the first finger one by one.

Consider an analogy to money. The physical thing is of no value as it is mere paper with dye in it. But the power within that paper from what it represents is indeed something else.

Aum Namasivaya

orlando
16 January 2011, 03:55 PM
Thus the question.

This is the answer: http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/sadhana/morning/japa/japa.htm

Ramakrishna
16 January 2011, 09:25 PM
Namaste Clayton,

As Devotee said, there is no hard and fast rule as to where or how to hold the mala. I just try to keep my mala from touching the ground, but I personally don't find it necessary to use a bag or cover it with a cloth or anything like that. When I'm finished I just put it on my altar.

When I sit on the floor and meditate with it, I hold it over my lap and let it flow so the beads will fall on my lap. Of course it is much easier to do japa in a chair and then you can let the beads flow freely without them touching the floor.

Some specific sects or traditions place more emphasis on the "holiness" of a mala. I also believe that the mala could become more "energized" and built up with shakti over time. But personally for me, just keeping it off the ground or any dirty places and putting it back on my altar when I'm finished is enough to honor and upkeep that sacredness.

Jai Sri Ram